Sox show interest in Toronto's Wells

spiderman

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 10:31 PM)
Vernon Wells is great, but if the White Sox get him, its for 1 season. He'll be in Boston or LA or NY or with the Cubs or Texas in 2008.

Again, I don't think this is anything more than a rumor, but, if true, can't we say the same thing about Freddy Garcia ?

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 08:42 PM)
A thing also about trading for Vernon Wells is that if we don't resign him, we get two draft picks for him, so replacing the prospects is not as hard and JD would be the same way b/c the Sox would undoubtedly offer them arbitration. Just something to think about.

But here's the sad thing...we're not the Dodgers or Angels...we don't have 4-5 potential all-stars just about to hit the majors at a variety of positions. A team with a ton of talent just about to reach the pros can afford to let a few people walk and take the draft picks, because they have youth to move in.

The White Sox, on the other hand, have a pretty barren system with a few possibles sitting near the top. If the White Sox trade away young talent (the article strongly implies Anderson + more), what the White Sox will wind up with is 2 draft picks in 2008, which will give us players that if we're lucky might hit the big leagues some time around 2012, give or take a few years.

Either way, there's a pretty big gap to fill in there. Virtually our entire team aside from Paul Konerko, Jose Contreras, and a few guys in the bullpen will be hitting Free Agency by the end of 2008. If we start trading away the talent we do have, then we're going to wind up with 1/2 of this team walking, and we're simply going to have no choice but to face a few years of rebuilding starting maybe even at the end of 2007 when Buehrle, Dye, Iguchi, Garcia, and potentially others including Podsednik, Vazquez, hit FA.

In other words, you're trading for a guy like Vernon Wells with no backup option if he does leave, and if you don't win a trophy next year, you are left with no choice but to start rebuilding from scratch.

well we should be showing interest.

I agree, but what would you be willing to give up for him? Would you trade Garcia, Anderson and Haeger for him? I know he is a one-year player (with exclusive negotiating rights to him for the season), but I doubt Toronto would be willing to trade him for less than equal value.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 05:38 AM)
I agree, but what would you be willing to give up for him? Would you trade Garcia, Anderson and Haeger for him? I know he is a one-year player (with exclusive negotiating rights to him for the season), but I doubt Toronto would be willing to trade him for less than equal value.

Regardless, the chances of acquiring Wells should be explored.

Regardless, the chances of acquiring Wells should be explored.

I agree. I just wonder what my fellow Sox fans would be willing to give up for him. I'm all for exploring the chances of acquiring Pujols, Howard and Mauer too, but I don't think we'd be willing to give what it takes to get any of those players.

The only way I do this deal, is if Vernon Wells signs a long - term deal with the Sox, below the contract that Carlos Beltran signed.

And in this current marketplace, that ain't going to happen.

So I'd rather trade the starter you'd have to give up for Vernon for young pitching, and keep Brian Anderson in CF.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 01:44 PM)
I am not so sure that Vernon Wells is not worth the Beltran money and the Sox will give it to him.

I think this is a guy you spend big bucks on.

I agree 100%. Vernon Wells can be the Sox CF for the next 5 yrs (He's only 27!) and that would be all good in my book. Plays Gold Glove Defense (Which only helps your pitching), hits for avg, can steal bases and will hit for 30 HRs, 100 RBI easily with Comiskey Park as his home. I have no problem offering him an extension of 5 yrs, 75 mil, especially since Thome isn't getting any younger and Dye won't be here in '08. Trading Garcia and Anderson's a good start.

Rotoworld:

White Sox GM Ken Williams has reportedly checked into Vernon Wells' availability.

The White Sox make as much sense as any team for Wells, especially since they have the starting pitcher and young center fielder the Jays are likely to want in return. Toronto would probably prefer Jon Garland to Freddy Garcia or Javier Vazquez. If the Jays like Brian Anderson, perhaps there's a slight chance something could happen.

QUOTE(Allsox @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 02:44 PM)
I agree 100%. Vernon Wells can be the Sox CF for the next 5 yrs (He's only 27!) and that would be all good in my book. Plays Gold Glove Defense (Which only helps your pitching), hits for avg, can steal bases and will hit for 30 HRs, 100 RBI easily with Comiskey Park as his home. I have no problem offering him an extension of 5 yrs, 75 mil, especially since Thome isn't getting any younger and Dye won't be here in '08. Trading Garcia and Anderson's a good start.

Why would it take both guys to get him? With Wells on one year left, and Freddy too, and with pitching at a premium,that seems like a wash. At MOST it should take Anderson to seal the deal. Toronto isn't gonna sign Wells next year, so they would get draft picks if he left, thats it. If Garcia goes, then they get the same, plus have Anderson. But I like this only if Wells does sign an extension.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 09:28 AM)
Two things:

- We're not going to get Wells for just one of our starting pitchers.

- Wells is going to get a contract in the 8 year, 140 million dollar range...we can thank the Cubs for this ridiculous market.

I guess you're probably right, although only because Mark is set to make 11 million this year and Wells only 5.5 million. They would probably need another player in return. I wouldn't want to chance Brian though. If you have to go much beyond one of our starters, this deal makes no sense to me.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 07:28 AM)
Two things:

- We're not going to get Wells for just one of our starting pitchers.

- Wells is going to get a contract in the 8 year, 140 million dollar range...we can thank the Cubs for this ridiculous market.

If all it took was one of our starters (hopefully one not signed for the next couple years) and Brian Anderson I would be all over that deal if: we could get him to agree to a 5 or 6 year deal at 15 million a year. I don't know if he would agree to that, but I think if you throw some options and extra incentives that make things worthwhile maybe.

Than you can decide what to do with Dye knowing you can afford to just let him walk for draft picks or even trade him since Vernon would be one of our big bats all while playing/filling a much tougher position (CF) and doing it very very well.

I'm sure the Dodgers would be all over a deal centered around Kemp or James Loney (maybe even Andre Ethier), Jonathan Broxton and another prospect. Or a deal centered on Billingsley and one of there outfield prospects and something else.

From ESPN's Winter Meeting Notes - "The Rangers have an interest in Kenny Lofton as a short-term solution in center field. Lofton would most likely be willing to accept a one-year deal, which would give GM Jon Daniels the freedom to pursue a long-term answer next winter -- when Vernon Wells, Torii Hunter, Andruw Jones, Mike Cameron, Mark Kotsay and Aaron Rowand all hit the open market as free agents."

That is a decent crop of free agent CFs to choose from next year. It doesn't guarantee anything, but this year's spending spree is primarily due to lack of talent available. The prices may not be nearly as high as we think a year from now. That doesn't mean the White Sox need to give up the farm for Wells, but if Wells can contribute in the field and at the plate, it should contribute to a good team and record. That should keep enough butts in the seats that the White Sox could compete for top free agent talent next off-season and possibly retain Wells.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 12:23 PM)
i for one want nothing to do with wells... he'd be a one and done type player, and i highly doubt the sox would pony up the cash to keep him.

He is a heck of an upgrade in CF and would make the whole OF better, though. If you ignore the elephant in the closet regarding his pending free agency, I would definitely pursue him more aggressively than Crawford. You trade Garcia/Buehrle, Anderson and maybe a B prospect for him, platoon Pods and Sweeney in LF with either batting far down in the line-up, and move B-Mac into the rotation. Either way, you have a key component on your team that could walk for big money next year. You have surplus in pitching to trade so why not make the one year rent-a-player be something you need more in the short term, like a reliable CF/leadoff man?

The only argument I can make otherwise is if you can get a cheap young talent like Crawford at a lesser price than TB is asking. I agree that the future is more important, but it sounds like the WS have to give up a lot of the future for Crawford as well.

Edited by Beltin'Bill

This was in yesterday's Toronto Sun:

The Chicago White Sox and the Jays have discussed Wells. First, the Sox discussed the Jays centre fielder in their organizational meetings and they talked with the Jays at the GMs meetings in Naples, Fla. last month.

"What's not to like about Wells?" one White Sox official said. "He does everything in the game right. The only thing that worries me is that we have talked about it so much, I think if it was going to happen, it would have already happened."

Of course, liking and acquiring are two different things.

The White Sox are a match in that they have excess starting pitching, a centre fielder to send to the Jays, prospects and could afford signing him to a long-term deal.

The Sox have six starters returning in Freddy Garcia (17-9, 4.53 earned run average), Mark Buehrle (12-13, 4.99), Jon Garland (18-7, 4.51), Javier Vazquez (11-12, 4.84), Jose Contreras (13-9, 4.27) and Brandon McCarthy (4-7, 4.68).

They have extra outfielders in Brian Anderson (.225, eight, 33) or left-handed hitting Ryan Sweeney (.296, 13, 70 at triple-A Charlotte).

And they have prospects.

Prospects?