Scouts rate 'available' pitchers

YASNY

Here are scouts' choices, although it was not unanimous:

Schmidt was the winner on every ballot except one. Lefty Barry Zito, five years younger than Schmidt, was second and then came the surprise.

The third, fourth and fifth spots went to the White Sox's Garcia, Javier Vazquez and Mark Buehrle, although the opinions varied widely on whether Vazquez was more desirable than Buehrle.

Rounding out the list were lefty Lilly, Jeff Suppan, Meche and Vincente Padilla, with Miguel Batista and Jason Marquis bringing up the rear.

'Dead Arm' Freddie rated number 3. Apparently, some ML scouts disagree with a lot of Soxtalkers when it comes to Garcia's value.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 01:45 AM)
'Dead Arm' Freddie rated number 3. Apparently, some ML scouts disagree with a lot of Soxtalkers when it comes to Garcia's value.

I HOPE we trade Buehrle. He has more value, and I trust Freddy to be a solid pitcher in the long run more than I do Mark. The Buehrle love around here often leads to the Freddy hate, imo. Plus, Mark is just going to sign with his Cardinals (at long last!) after this season anyways, regardless of the rumors we are negotiating a contract with him right now.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 01:51 AM)
I HOPE we trade Buehrle. He has more value, and I trust Freddy to be a solid pitcher in the long run more than I do Mark. The Buehrle love around here often leads to the Freddy hate, imo. Plus, Mark is just going to sign with his Cardinals (at long last!) after this season anyways, regardless of the rumors we are negotiating a contract with him right now.

Mark had a chance at one point to not sign an extension, become a free agent and bolt to the Cardinals and he didn't do it. I get so tired of this crap. I know if I was a NL player, I'd still be a White Sox fan and I would have sat in the stands with a Sox cap on in the '05 series ... Just like every other Sox fan that could, did.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 01:55 AM)
Mark had a chance at one point to not sign an extension, become a free agent and bolt to the Cardinals and he didn't do it. I get so tired of this crap. I know if I was a NL player, I'd still be a White Sox fan and I would have sat in the stands with a Sox cap on in the '05 series ... Just like every other Sox fan that could, did.

But can't you understand his never ending you know what sucking of the Cardinals gets annoying with some parts of the fanbase, especially when he can bolt after 2007, sucked in 2006, and is STILL doing it? We'll see though, as long as we trade ONE of these guys and get something in return and get B-Mac into the rotation, I'll take it.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 01:45 AM)

Freddy Garcia showed me alot of positive from this year.He showed he can really pitch even when his stuff isnt there,something i didnt really think he had in him.Why do people always think there is something so far greater out there than what we already have on this team.How qiuckly everyone forgets about our rotations 1 through 5 in the ten years before 2005.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 01:57 AM)
But can't you understand his never ending you know what sucking of the Cardinals gets annoying with some parts of the fanbase, especially when he can bolt after 2007, sucked in 2006, and is STILL doing it? We'll see though, as long as we trade ONE of these guys and get something in return and get B-Mac into the rotation, I'll take it.

No, I can't understand it at all. I think it's ridiculously petty.

QUOTE(shipps @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 02:00 AM)
Freddy Garcia showed me alot of positive from this year.He showed he can really pitch even when his stuff isnt there,something i didnt really think he had in him.Why do people always think there is something so far greater out there than what we already have on this team.How qiuckly everyone forgets about our rotations 1 through 5 in the ten years before 2005.

For the record, I had my tongue firmly planted in my cheek when I called him 'Dead Arm'.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 01:51 AM)

So we go into 2007 with a starting rotation full of RHPs with the likes of Mauer, Morneau, Guillen, Sizemore, Martinez, Hafner, Teahen, and (likely) Gordon in the division? riiiiiiiiiiiiiight

And, believe it or not, it is possible to show two allegiances to two teams within the same sport.

No, I can't understand it at all. I think it's ridiculously petty.

I think it is pretty ridiculous to be on one major league team and root for another major league team. Once you actually become a player on a team, THAT should become your favorite team. Mark has made it clear all along that the Cardinals are his first love. It is time for him to grow up and recognize the jersey he wears and that it should be the only jersey he wears. He's not some 25 year old fan watching games on TV in his basement. He's a major league baseball player. It is long past the time he should be putting away the rooting interests of his childhood.

Edited by SoxHawk1980

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 06:12 AM)
I think it is pretty ridiculous to be on one major league team and root for another major league team. Once you actually become a player on a team, THAT should become your favorite team. Mark has made it clear all along that the Cardinals are his first love. It is time for him to grow up and recognize the jersey he wears and that it should be the only jersey he wears. He's not some 25 year old fan watching games on TV in his basement. He's a major league baseball player. It is long past the time he should be putting away the rooting interests of his childhood.

So, you are telling me that if the Sox meet the Cards in the Series, that Mark would root for the Cards? It's long past time people put away their inane b****ing about something that doesn't matter one iota. Get ye over it.

This statement here about Zito and the Mets gives me hope that they'll have to come back to us;

Privately the Mets, who met with Boras last night, say they won't pay top dollar. Last week one of their decision-makers insisted the Mets were only interested in Zito if his reported asking price of $90 million over six years dropped significantly. "We'll wait," he said.

The Mets were hoping to employ a strategy similar to the one the Yankees used last year in securing Johnny Damon, another Boras client. But Hicks' very public interest in Zito probably means a bidding war, and the Mets don't want to go there.

And haven't the Rangers offered a 6Y/102M deal already?

So, you are telling me that if the Sox meet the Cards in the Series, that Mark would root for the Cards? It's long past time people put away their inane b****ing about something that doesn't matter one iota. Get ye over it.

Comning back to add .... SoxHawk, I didn't mean that like it may have come across. Don't take it personally.

No problem.

No, I don't think he'd root for the Cards over the Sox in a head-to-head match up. But I think it is incumbent on any player on any team to show that all of his loyalty is to that team for as long as he is in the organization. Unfortunately, Mark has shown time and again that his heart is still with the Cards. He'd really love to play for them (he's said it time and again). That is a slap in the face to the team and to its fans. While you are a Sox, don't root for another team. Don't fawn over another team. Don't talk about how much you'd like to be playing for another team.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 07:38 AM)
No problem.

No, I don't think he'd root for the Cards over the Sox in a head-to-head match up. But I think it is incumbent on any player on any team to show that all of his loyalty is to that team for as long as he is in the organization. Unfortunately, Mark has shown time and again that his heart is still with the Cards. He'd really love to play for them (he's said it time and again). That is a slap in the face to the team and to its fans. While you are a Sox, don't root for another team. Don't fawn over another team. Don't talk about how much you'd like to be playing for another team.

Hahaha, Drama drama drama. I think its hilarious that you think its a slap in the face. If I played baseball, no matter who I played for, I would still be a sox fan. If say you wouldnt, then you are a liar my friend. Of course he also loves chicago, loves this team, and wants to stay. But...of course you know exactly what he is thinking at all times, so maybe im wrong...... :lol: