Garcia to Philly for Gavin Floyd and Gio Gonzalez

BobDylan

QUOTE(Soxman72 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 12:24 AM)
Didn't someone else mention the Gio will not become official as the PTBNL until after the rule 5 draft because he is not on the current 40 man. If this is true they can not flip Gio until the draft is over. Right?

Correct.

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you guys ready for tejada talk?

The White Sox are among a couple of teams this week that have contacted the Orioles about Miguel Tejada.

The Angels weren't one of them, according to the report. The Orioles probably aren't trading Tejada, though the Sun speculates they could be interested in package including Jon Garland, Juan Uribe and a top youngster.

rotoworld

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 09:23 PM)
Andrew Miller and Ledezma could be solid.

I really really like Ledezma. He's a guy thats struggled at times for the Tigers but has one hell of an arm and should be a pretty darn good major leaguer. Another guy if I were an opposing GM that I would target.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:19 PM)
Can we stop using number of wins to evaluate pitchers? Perhaps we can use more telling stats, like WHIP, ERA, etc.

Or salary.

Ok use those stats. take last years. Again use what you want but he still has not proven himself. Again, I wouldn't mind him being a fifth starter if we would have gotten a bit more in return to fill the other holes we have. I am not argueing Mcarthy, I am argueing the trade. Funny 9-10ths of the people here hate this trade but it seems as if people take exception with my comments.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 04:21 PM)
Dbaho, who's the person responsible for the quotation in your signature? Wonder if they hold the same opinion now that he's a member of our team again....

Jeckle2000. I really want to get his opinion on this trade right now. My feeling is;

If Rowand was included = I LOVE IT!!!!

Since he wasn't and Gio was = KW WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU THINKING!!!!

It's so disappointing when I come home everday and check soxtalk in hopes of a big trade and then I walk in the door tonight and the tv is on ABC news and I hear the subpar trade. We really did not address our needs, but at least we got SOMETHING for Freddy. That's not a good attitude, but I'm not suprised that this is all we got for him.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:25 PM)
I like Ledezma, Miller isn't going to be ready for a bit, no matter how quickly they want to rush him.

Didnt millers arbitration clock start based on the stunt they had to pull, promoting him due to some contract item that Boras put in.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 12:26 AM)
After hearing how the Sox watched an hour of tape and decided they could fix some of his flaws, it reminds me of this great saying "Don't worry, Coop can fix him".

An hour of tape swung their decision in favor of trading for him?

Well, that's either incredibly good or extremely bad news.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:26 PM)
After hearing how the Sox watched an hour of tape and decided they could fix some of his flaws, it reminds me of this great saying "Don't worry, Coop can fix him".

I am so sick and tired of hearing about Coop. He is good, but he is not God.

Where was he with Cotts last year?

How about Marte the year before?

Why couldn't he get Javy past the 6th inning?

QUOTE(quickman @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 09:25 PM)
Ok use those stats. take last years. Again use what you want but he still has not proven himself. Again, I wouldn't mind him being a fifth starter if we would have gotten a bit more in return to fill the other holes we have. I am not argueing Mcarthy, I am argueing the trade. Funny 9-10ths of the people here hate this trade but it seems as if people take exception with my comments.

I think this deal isn't awful, especially if it gives the Sox the ability to resign Buehrle or make another move. However, it would have been nice to get one more part (even if that part was Aaron) out of it. That said I like the idea of Floyd and Gonzo being back in the system.

I'm still not sure how good Gonzo will be, but he impressed me in his past season and he's continued to remain durable (which is one major concern I've long had with Gio). He has a sick curve and his velocity has been steadily on the rise as well (last I heard)...well not steadily but its in what I'd deem an acceptable range.

The guy is easily as good of a prospect as Hirsch (especially upside wise) who you all were drooling over and I'd personally prefer Floyd's arm to a lot of other guys.

Basically if we made a deal with the Mets we'd have gotten Heilman/Pelfrey or Humber. I'd prefer any deal that netted us Pelfrey because I think he's the closest to a sure thing of any of the spects this team could have acquired.

However I'll take Floyd/Gio over Heilman/Humber because I think while Humber is talented and Heilman is solid...Floyd and Gio both have the upside to be a front of the rotation guy.

Still...Kenny probably could have gotten one more guy out of this deal, even a mid level guy (that said should a mid level guy really be a deal breaker....we are getting two damn good arms in this deal, even though one of them's value is at an all time low).

WHAT THE F**K HAS KENNY BEEN SMOKING??? How can you only get Floyd and Gonzalez for Garcia, a 17-game winning pitcher??? What the hell is going on here??? Floyd's era last year in 11 games was 7.23! How can Kenny be this f**king stupid???

I don't even care if Kenny can flip them to the Devil Rays for Rocco. For Garcia, we can get much more than Floyd and Gonzalez. With all the baseball experts have stated how beautifully the White Sox have been sitting and waiting for the market to clear out with the surplus of starting pitchers that they have, now we have lost that edge thanks to the stupid move by our GM Kenny!!!

You gotta be f**king kidding me!!!

QUOTE(quickman @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:25 PM)

I just have seen too many people overrating Garcia.

And, i'm somewhat banking on the 10 mil/prospects being used to do something else. Even if they aren't used to do that at all, replacing Garcia in McCarthy isn't a big deal IMO.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:26 PM)

Coop watched Cotts pitch all year and apparently couldn't fix him. Buehrle pitched like crap and coop couldn't fix him. This coop thing is blown way out of proportion. Is he the only pitching coach capable of helping pitchers? brutal trade.