Garcia to Philly for Gavin Floyd and Gio Gonzalez

BobDylan

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(quickman @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 05:30 AM)
Coop watched Cotts pitch all year and apparently couldn't fix him. Buehrle pitched like crap and coop couldn't fix him. This coop thing is blown way out of proportion. Is he the only pitching coach capable of helping pitchers? brutal trade.

Arrogance....but at least we'll have Sandy's veteran leadership behind home plate.

QUOTE(quickman @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:25 PM)
Ok use those stats. take last years. Again use what you want but he still has not proven himself. Again, I wouldn't mind him being a fifth starter if we would have gotten a bit more in return to fill the other holes we have. I am not argueing Mcarthy, I am argueing the trade. Funny 9-10ths of the people here hate this trade but it seems as if people take exception with my comments.

We have a new market where crappy pitchers are getting 10 million dollar 4 year deals. How much will Garcia get on the open market. What again is his incentive to sign a long term deal for less. So basically whomever gets Garcia will get his services for 07, either sign him for megabucks or get a nifty draft pick that is less likely to succeed than Gavin or Bmac or Gio.

Everyone here over estimates the value of our players, as I have said before somewhere between what we feel is a good deal, and the guys over at PhillyPhan who are upset that they gave up Gio, is where reality is. Just because someone leaked a made up deal doesnt mean that it was impending. If KW could of got Santana for Garcia or Pelfrey for Garcia or Brad Lidge for Garcia he would of been shipped off yesterday.

I really don't know much about these two guys, but as far as I can tell from everyone's reaction, they aren't too pretty. I know a little about Floyd, but not much about Gio. Based on everything I've read here, would we not have been better off with just garcia, or what? Cuz everyone seems ready to start a riot over this trade. I have to admit, though, I saw a headline saying the Sox made a trade with Philly, and I was hoping I'd see the name "Jimmy Rollins." Hell, "Aaron Rowand" would've made me feel a little bit better.

WOW, this isn't even a news flash on ESPN News...

Edited by TheBigHurt

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:30 PM)
I just have seen too many people overrating Garcia.

And, i'm somewhat banking on the 10 mil/prospects being used to do something else. Even if they aren't used to do that at all, replacing Garcia in McCarthy isn't a big deal IMO.

Thanks Krush, I do agree that the replacement is no big deal , I just thought we could get a few better players, even if they were prospects from another team. If we don't get in the playoffs this year the team will be overhauled next year. TO me its starting early.

I'd also like to ask why anybody would be down on us not getting Rowand in this deal. I'm sure we asked, but it turned out we weren't going to let a deal fall through over a 4th outfielder when we already have one in Podsednik.

As sick as some of you are about this trade, I'm far more sick at some of you. I can't believe the overvaluing of Freddy around here. Now if your mad we didn't trade one of your higher valued starters, that's perfectly fine....but if you were expecting some blockbuster deal for Freddy, your simply not paying attention. AS LONG AS we get a legit starting OFer like Baldelli this offseason to go with this, I don't mind the trade at all. And I think the Buehrle extension is imminent after this trade btw, which I don't mind either since he's at lowest possible value right now.

Man this sounds like one of those deals ALL about saving money.

Horrible trade.

Hopefully Gio Prism can be the new Marte, only better of course.

This starter we got sounds really bad.

We don't need the guy, that's what's baffling.

We shoulda traded for proven relief or an outfielder.

Stupid deal. It reeks of just saving money.

Oh well, we basically traded Brandon for Freddie. Brandon gets to start now cause this

guy isn't gonna beat out Brandon.

And fathom said it all. That article on our future is scary.

Suddenly we've become the Marlins again. All about saving money.

My god. After drawing all those millions of fans this year.

What has happened in the last 24 hours?

We've become a small market team again??? Sad, very sad.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:33 PM)
I really don't know much about these two guys, but as far as I can tell from everyone's reaction, they aren't too pretty. I know a little about Floyd, but not much about Gio. Based on everything I've read here, would we not have been better off with just garcia, or what? Cuz everyone seems ready to start a riot over this trade. I have to admit, though, I saw a headline saying the Sox made a trade with Philly, and I was hoping I'd see the name "Jimmy Rollins." Hell, "Aaron Rowand" would've made me feel a little bit better.

All you need to know about Floyd is his era last year was 7.23! Goddamn it!

QUOTE(Soxman72 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:29 PM)
I am so sick and tired of hearing about Coop. He is good, but he is not God.

Where was he with Cotts last year?

How about Marte the year before?

Why couldn't he get Javy past the 6th inning?

I agree that some invest too much confidence in the powers of Coop, but to be fair, the players you listed had problems that had more to do with their head or testicular fortitude. When it comes to mechanical problems though, I generally trust Coop.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 05:35 AM)
I agree that some invest too much confidence in the powers of Coop, but to be fair, the players you listed had problems that had more to do with their head or testicular fortitude. When it comes to mechanical problems though, I generally trust Coop.

Neal's problem was all mechanics last year.

Oops this got added to my last post; wanted to make sure it was seen.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:30 PM)
I just have seen too many people overrating Garcia.

And, i'm somewhat banking on the 10 mil/prospects being used to do something else. Even if they aren't used to do that at all, replacing Garcia in McCarthy isn't a big deal IMO.

Maybe Garcia pitches a season in Philadelphia and if Buerhle bolts or they decide Vazquez isn't worth his arbitration figure, they sign him again. I don't know what else was out there, but there are a few red flags with Freddy. His positive marijuana test, while really not that huge of a deal, he knew he'd be tested. His loss of velocity, maybe it comes back, but who really knows for sure. And his being out of shape. Ozzie can blame the conditioning guy for it all he wants, but Freddy's supposed to be a professional. Showing up his teammates a few times really grated on me too. Floyd at one time was a top of the line prospect. I don't put any credence in the "Coop can fix him" thinking, but he's still very young, maybe he can put it together. Gio has a lot of potential as well. Maybe he takes Cotts' role in 2007.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:34 PM)
Well, this article is downright scary.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

If KW isn't bluffing, things are about to get very ugly. So much for extending the deals on our starters.

Fathom, after reading the article, do you sense it as much as I am that we are witnessing the beginning of the sell-off (salary dump)? And it will be gradually. I truly hope that I am wrong!

Holy crap...hold me I'm scared, you prospect people may win out and the Sox may very well suffer.

All I can say is this, if the Sox are going to go with that approach we should deal Buehrle this off-season and ensure we get ourselves one of the best pitching prospects in all of baseball for him (and I'm sure the Mets would give up Pelfrey to get him...maybe not much else, but we'd at least be able to get Pelfrey).

Maybe even Pelfrey and Burgos (or however you spell it) who they just acquired from the Royals, two guys that are young and would fit in nicely.

I know one thing...Kenny seems to be taking a Billy Beane stance and if we bank on this we need to ensure we get as many talented arms as possible and make sure this offense is equipped to hammer if it doesn't work out.

Technically speaking it may not be the worse idea in the world...but there are others I'd prefer.

Still right now I think this team is still fully capable of winning it all and even with a trade of Buehrle (yes things would get tougher) but it would be able to as long as it was able to find a way to fill a couple holes in the lineup.

But man I'm scared cause I hate to see the Sox do anything that would cause a public relations nightmare that would bury this team in the city spotlight.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:38 PM)

Oops this got added to my last post; wanted to make sure it was seen.

Take a gander at our payroll and then tell me how we are the f***in marlins again.

We traded a pitcher who is about 11 months away from making a s***load of money. Or was it your contention to spend a 4 -5 year 12 - 15 million dollar a year deal on him next year. Good Grief.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 12:34 AM)
Well, this article is downright scary.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

If KW isn't bluffing, things are about to get very ugly. So much for extending the deals on our starters.

Heh....well congrats Sox Fans on that 2005 World Championship!! Now its time to rebuild after this amazing dynasty run!

KW better just be shooting off at the mouth, like he enjoys doing alot.

Gio, BMac, McCulloch, Broadway, Phillips.....a starting rotation to strike fear in all the masses!