$10M - what do you do with it?

sox-r-us

So I was apparantly suspended for the past 1 year it seems (no clue why :D ) but now that that is resolved (thanks ss2K5), I am not going to bother giving my opinion on the whole Garcia deal or the failed Garland deal. Everyone has pretty much said what needs to be said about it.

But what about this $10M salary flexibility we have suddenly. Clearly, FOR THIS YEAR we have:

a) Holes at LF, CF, Bullpen

B) could upgrade at SS

c) Need a back up catcher

d) In general we need to be able to have speed at the lead off position however we change the roster (right now Pods does that but if we upgrade at LF and go with someone who is not speedy)

So what would you do with the $10M available now to help in those areas is what I would like to discuss in this thread.

Idea 1: If for a moment we assume Pods stays in LF, we have to get a better bat for CF unless we are all sold that Anderson will suddenly get better this year. One idea for upgrading CF with the additional $$ that we have.....how about we trade for Griffey? We could probably get Cincy to take some of his salary still and get away with not having to give up top notch prospects for him. Thoughts?

Idea 2: Get Kenny Lofton for Cf for a year or two (allow Sweeney to grow more and allow Anderson to be reserve OF) to be the leadoff guy, and get a stud stop gap bat for LF like Moises Alou or Barry bonds. Trade Pods or bench him as reserve OF.

Idea 3: Stay with Anderson/Sweeney as the best shot in CF but decide to upgrade LF and move Pods to utility 4th OF and late inning off the bench base stealer.....just get the LF mentioned above - Alou, Bonds etc

Where would you like the extra $$ allocated to?

PS - I understand the emotion attached to/against Bonds, Griffey, Lofton etc but considering we are going young with pitching, and we have extra payroll, maybe it makes sense to make our O really good with players that we can get for the 1 or 2 yr deals that would help our pitching.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I would prefer to let Sweeney, Owens, and Fields develop for another year in the minors, and sign lofton. He proved he is still effective for a 100 games, hitting over .300 and had a ton of stolen bases. If we could get him for 1 year at 4 mill, i could see it happening. Pods is to expensive for a 4th outfielder, plus we have mack and ozuna and gload to play outfield so Pods is starting or traded. I would like to trade for a leadoff man that plays left or center but options are limited and the cost may be to great, but with the Garcia trade being so low, maybe the trade market isnt as expensive as we think

QUOTE(bigruss22 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 09:20 PM)
I would prefer to let Sweeney, Owens, and Fields develop for another year in the minors, and sign lofton. He proved he is still effective for a 100 games, hitting over .300 and had a ton of stolen bases. If we could get him for 1 year at 4 mill, i could see it happening. Pods is to expensive for a 4th outfielder, plus we have mack and ozuna and gload to play outfield so Pods is starting or traded. I would like to trade for a leadoff man that plays left or center but options are limited and the cost may be to great, but with the Garcia trade being so low, maybe the trade market isnt as expensive as we think

Getting Lofton would make the Cub fans mad too since they have been eyeing Lofton too :D

KW seems to pretty much hate Lofton, and Griffey is one of the worst defensive CFers in the game.

The only real free agent signing that should be made is Toby Hall 5 minutes after he is non-tendered by the Dodgers. Or trading for Damian Miller, if cost is right.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 09:21 PM)
Moises Alou has already signed with the Mets.

Ok in that case.....Bonds is the real legit LF out there with a stud bat/OBP.

I have voices in my head telling me about trading for Manny and signing Lofton as another option but I cannot imagine what we would have to give up for Manny :huh:

Edited by sox-r-us

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 09:22 PM)
Eric Gagne for two years.

Good one.....I had this thought last night too.....wonder though how we would structure such a contract with the risk/reward

The other such risk/reward player I think we could get with the extra $10M is Mark Mulder, though I see it has been extensively covered in another thread and there are many issues there to figure out.....though every time I think of Mulder, I think of Carpenter....a player no one wanted because of injury....and the Cards struck gold on the way to a WS championship based on that.

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 09:26 PM)
do we really even have an extra 10mil. crede made like what, 2.5mil? isnt he getting a raise, if he does he will obviously command 8 mil or so.

Melissa - I meant we have 10M more than we would have had. Assuming KW was going to sign Crede anyways for one more year.

Bonds isnt a legit outfielder, his knee problems have turned him into a really slow fielder, and he cant get back on balls hit over his head anymore. Pods isnt a great defensive OF either, but Bonds wouldnt be much better, if any better at all.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 09:23 PM)
KW seems to pretty much hate Lofton

well I hope kenny can rise above such pettiness when he is trying to (hopefully) win every year and get this franchise in the spotlight for good.....yes Kenny has age issues, but he can give us 100 games in CF (platoon him with Anderson if required) and fixes our speed on the bases at lead off problem too. And he is pretty good at fielding still....and he played for us too, though I understand that is where the baggage with Kenny comes from.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 09:27 PM)
He wants to close, not be a setup man. Reportedly the Yankees approached him about a job setting up for the God of the Cut Fastball, and Gagne wasn't interested.

Simple then. Let Jenks set up. Is it written in stone that Jenks has to close? If you are convinced Gagne will be back to even 90% of his old self and his injuries are behind him. why would you not want the best bullpen player out there in the market.

Thornton in 7th, Jenks in 8th, Gagne in 9th....we could win 15 games with BMac or Floyd starting from the 5th spot at that rate :cheers

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 09:28 PM)
Bonds isnt a legit outfielder, his knee problems have turned him into a really slow fielder, and he cant get back on balls hit over his head anymore. Pods isnt a great defensive OF either, but Bonds wouldnt be much better, if any better at all.

Well, with BMac pitching, most of those will be out of the park anyway :P

And Bonds will easily cover up the runs he gives up with the runs he scores, his presence on the basepaths all the time and the influence he will have on Dye, Kong and Thome.

It is all relative. Like you said, with Pods it is not like we have another Anderson in LF.

Here is another idea for LF (or still better CF) - Bring back Carl Everett

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 03:40 PM)
And Bonds will easily cover up the runs he gives up with the runs he scores, his presence on the basepaths all the time and the influence he will have on Dye, Kong and Thome.

It is all relative. Like you said, with Pods it is not like we have another Anderson in LF.

Here is another idea for LF (or still better CF) - Bring back Carl Everett

Just what the White Sox need...another slow-footed masher to join Konerko, Thome, and Crede. Gotta love station to station baseball.

Well, if Sox are going refuse to sign their players to extensions or pay the market value for free agents, they should invest that money in the future. Hire the best scouts away from Florida and set up extensive scouting in the Far East and Latin America. Oh yea, and stop letting KW draft. He's best at plucking away underrated players from other teams, but our draft picks have not worked out.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 09:44 PM)
Just what the White Sox need...another slow-footed masher to join Konerko, Thome, and Crede. Gotta love station to station baseball.

I did say getting Lofton with him too.....Lofton, Iguchi would provide the speed up at the top. Uribe has some decent speed at bottom of order. And we can play Pods as 4th OF who would be late inning off the bench base stealer in close games.

Also, speed only helps if you can get on base and then, after you get on base, you can actually convert the steal. Otherwise you are giving up free outs and taking the bat out of your best hitters. And no one gets on more than Bonds. Of course he will need help to be moved but there are other things he brings to the Sox that not many others can. Also, Bonds is not my #1 preference. Just a thought/idea ..... I would be happy if we got Lofton for CF and then found some other vet LF too for a year or two too.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 04:02 PM)
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writ...coop/index.html

2nd page of this story says KW is trying to cut payroll!??!?!?! I mean, I guess with the FG deal it is possible, but I would really want an explination from him or JR why they are cutting payroll this year

Looks to me like speculation from someone who is trying to give insight when they dont know enough about the situation.

With the $10M, if I were KW, I would inquire about a small island of the shores of San Juan Puerto Rico and start kidnapping little children and bring them to the island to prime them as #1 prospects for the 2019 Chicago White Sox. It would kind of like a Michael Jackson's Neverland without the touching.

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 03:52 PM)
I did say getting Lofton with him too.....Lofton, Iguchi would provide the speed up at the top. Uribe has some decent speed at bottom of order. And we can play Pods as 4th OF who would be late inning off the bench base stealer in close games.

Also, speed only helps if you can get on base and then, after you get on base, you can actually convert the steal. Otherwise you are giving up free outs and taking the bat out of your best hitters. And no one gets on more than Bonds. Of course he will need help to be moved but there are other things he brings to the Sox that not many others can. Also, Bonds is not my #1 preference. Just a thought/idea ..... I would be happy if we got Lofton for CF and then found some other vet LF too for a year or two too.

That's fine...but Dye can create runs when he gets on base because he can run from 1st to 3rd on a single. Or from 2nd on a single. And maybe even score from 1st on a double.

Bonds may have a rough time scoring from 3rd on a bases loaded walk. Need to be able to create runs in the middle of the order too...without the homer. And we've already got some slow-@$$ players on the team.

QUOTE(ChiSox9 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 04:11 PM)
With the $10M, if I were KW, I would inquire about a small island of the shores of San Juan Puerto Rico and start kidnapping little children and bring them to the island to prime them as #1 prospects for the 2019 Chicago White Sox. It would kind of like a Michael Jackson's Neverland without the touching.

best post ever.

myabe some RP or a backup catcher. i think were ok besides that.