Reinsdorf speaks

Mr. Showtime

Kids, what can you do?

"With the madness that is in the market today, how could we have counted on being able to re-sign Freddy? Then, we have [Mark] Buehrle, who is a free agent who walks around wearing a Cardinals hat. You have to think he's going to be tough to re-sign. When you have a chance to move one guy who is close to free agency and come back with power arms, you have to go for it." --Jerry Reinsdorf to Scott Merkin White Sox.com

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 10:16 PM)
I've never liked Jerry Reinsdorf. Never will.

No one will ever care much for owners. I mean, what's to like? Puts all revenues back into the team, has brought 7 world championships to the City...what an ass...

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 10:16 PM)
I've never liked Jerry Reinsdorf. Never will.

I would hate an owner who has brought more championships to one town than any other owner in Chicago. I can see why you dont like him. :bang

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 10:19 PM)
It would be nice if the leaders of this organization would stop whining in the press about salaries. Nothing infuriates a fan base more than having to hear these type of complaints.

Someone has to be the voice of reason. Look, I am not big on rich guys whining.

But Gil Meche just got $45 million.

Enough said.

Alot of teams are going to regret their actions of the past month. Let's be glad we aren't going to be one of them.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 04:20 AM)
Uh, the players have more to do with that. It's not Bill Veeck's fault that the 1959 White Sox didn't beat the Dodgers and Reinsdorf doesn't deserve anymore credit for the Starting Four of 2005 especially now that he's crying poor and reverting to his true form.

I'd wait to see if he spends that 10 million elsewhere before saying that.

We're still looking at a payroll at about 90-100 million, which puts us near the top of the league.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 10:20 PM)
Uh, the players have more to do with that. It's not Bill Veeck's fault that the 1959 White Sox didn't beat the Dodgers and Reinsdorf doesn't deserve anymore credit for the Starting Four of 2005 especially now that he's crying poor and reverting to his true form.

What is his true form? He is not the Tribune company. He spends what the team makes, and there is plenty of evidence of that. What do you want from the guy?

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 04:20 AM)

Yes Reisdorf is horrible omg I hate him...... I mean the players must hate him 2 which is why they were chanting his name when we won the WS. Nobody is a bigger fan of the whitesox/bulls than JR himself...

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 04:21 AM)

Enough said.

Alot of teams are going to regret their actions of the past month. Let's be glad we aren't going to be one of them.

We have very fickle fans, and there's been too much said recently about how our fans won't show up if we don't win. Thus, when our fans do show up, it's insulting to hear this type of talk. There was no reason for Reinsdorf to single out Buehrle. If he's so sure that he's going to go to St. Louis, then KW should be trying to trade him in a 3-way deal instead of Garland, who we have here for 2 more years.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 10:23 PM)
We have very fickle fans, and there's been too much said recently about how our fans won't show up if we don't win. Thus, when our fans do show up, it's insulting to hear this type of talk. There was no reason for Reinsdorf to single out Buehrle. If he's so sure that he's going to go to St. Louis, then KW should be trying to trade him in a 3-way deal instead of Garland, who we have here for 2 more years.

I'd rather he tell it like it is than bs us every year like Peter Angelos.

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 10:25 PM)
Haha, and that is a scary thought. Good stuff.

Good thing I work on the civil side rather than the criminal side. :drink

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 10:24 PM)
He's a guy who loves white flags.

Give it up, seriously.

Give it up like Reinsdorf does baseball seasons? Seriously, I can't believe that people like the man who helped orchestrate the 94 strike and who tried to move this team to several different cities and even the northside and who pulled the bull he pulled in the late 1990s and who's now crying poor once the fans finally start showing up.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 10:28 PM)
Give it up like Reinsdorf does baseball seasons? Seriously, I can't believe that people like the man who helped orchestrate the 94 strike and who tried to move this team to several different cities and even the northside and who pulled the bull he pulled in the late 1990s and who's now crying poor once the fans finally start showing up.

He isn't crying poor. We have a $100 million dollar payroll. There are limits to what the White Sox are capable of making, we aren't the Yankees, the Red Sox, the Cubs, or the Mets. It's absolutely irresponsible to accuse him of being cheap when that clearly isn't the case.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 10:21 PM)

Enough said.

$55 million actually. But yea..

He didn't need to say anything about Buehrle, but Reinsdorf has shown the past couple of years he is willing to open his wallet when need be, and letting his GM make decisions in the best interest of the team. Add in the fact that as attendance has gone up, he's been willing to spend more, as well as the fact he and the Sox are involved in numerous programs to help others, he's done a pretty fair job so far.

That and a World Championship.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 10:34 PM)
He didn't need to say anything about Buehrle, but Reinsdorf has shown the past couple of years he is willing to open his wallet when need be, and letting his GM make decisions in the best interest of the team. Add in the fact that as attendance has gone up, he's been willing to spend more, as well as the fact he and the Sox are involved in numerous programs to help others, he's done a pretty fair job so far.

That and a World Championship.

Yea ... the Buehrle part was kinda a low blow ... not needed.