Why was MB wearing a Cards cap?

KansasSoxFan

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Dec 9, 2006 -> 10:25 AM)
I believe he was at a World Series game wearing it to root for the Cardinals.

And really, is that so wrong? I know, there's something to be said for loyalty to your employer. But there's also something to be said for loyalty to the team you grew up loving. It's not like he's on the Cubs doing this. The White Sox and Cards play 3 times every third year, unless they meet up in the World Series.

Mark has expressed nothing but love for playing in and for the city of Chicago, and I trust that he'll give us the fair shot when he's a Free Agent looking for a new contract.

That said, I'm not gonna be surprised to see him in Cardinal red.. I guess it won't be much different, as we've all already seen the pictures.

QUOTE(PlunketChris @ Dec 9, 2006 -> 10:37 AM)
And really, is that so wrong? I know, there's something to be said for loyalty to your employer. But there's also something to be said for loyalty to the team you grew up loving. It's not like he's on the Cubs doing this. The White Sox and Cards play 3 times every third year, unless they meet up in the World Series.

Mark has expressed nothing but love for playing in and for the city of Chicago, and I trust that he'll give us the fair shot when he's a Free Agent looking for a new contract.

That said, I'm not gonna be surprised to see him in Cardinal red.. I guess it won't be much different, as we've all already seen the pictures.

Does the team you grew up loving PAY for your humongous salary? If you work for the Ford company, would you dare driving a Japanese car into its lots? At least have some courtesy and respect for the team that is paying you huge money to play for it by NOT showing your love for that team in public! And this is not the first time that he has done this. If he loves the Cardinals that much, trade his ass as far as I'm concerned.

The Sox may only play them three times this year (will he start one of those games)?, but they are in direct competition with StL and all other teams for talent. They also compete with them for market share and fan base. It may not look like it in Chicagoland, but believe me its quite evident here downstate. As far as I am concerned, every other organization is a rival, and with the stakes as high as they are in this industry, you don't advertise for rivals.

SFF

there are two points here

1) you can certainly show up and watch the game and root for the cardinals without being so conspicuous as to wear the hat

2) when there has already been this controversy in the past and you have already made strange comments about your love of the Cardinals its just stupid judgment.

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Dec 9, 2006 -> 12:22 PM)
there are two points here

1) you can certainly show up and watch the game and root for the cardinals without being so conspicuous as to wear the hat

2) when there has already been this controversy in the past and you have already made strange comments about your love of the Cardinals its just stupid judgment.

That.

QUOTE(S720 @ Dec 9, 2006 -> 11:07 AM)
Does the team you grew up loving PAY for your humongous salary? If you work for the Ford company, would you dare driving a Japanese car into its lots? At least have some courtesy and respect for the team that is paying you huge money to play for it by NOT showing your love for that team in public! And this is not the first time that he has done this. If he loves the Cardinals that much, trade his ass as far as I'm concerned.

This makes no sense ... Japense cars suck. :P

If I didn't feel Buerhle put out an honest effort for the Sox, maybe I'd have a problem with him expressing his love for the Cardinals.

But I do think he's been a great pro for the Sox, and I have zero problem with him staying loyal to his childhood team.

If he leaves for StL when he goes free agent, I can't blame him. He's got all the money he'll ever need, and jumping on a chance to play for the team he grew up cheering for is perfectly understandable to me.

If Johan Santana grew up a Sox fan, I doubt any of us would piss on him about being "unloyal" to the Twins.

Edited by The Critic

QUOTE(S720 @ Dec 9, 2006 -> 11:07 AM)

Whatever dude. if I played for another team I would still always wear my sox stuff, and I would always be a sox fan. He can cheer for whoever he wants to when we have been eliminated from postseason play. And Toyota is one of my customers, and I visit their office in LA all the time, there are plenty of people that drive fords, chevys, even hondas.

QUOTE(AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Dec 9, 2006 -> 12:43 PM)
Jared Weaver had a Cards jacket and hat on to root for his brother....haven't heard a peep from the angels about it.

Jared Weaver also hasn't said numerous times that he's wanted to play for the Cards. I love Mark, but he needs to be more careful about this junk, I'm tired of hearing about him and the Cardinals.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 9, 2006 -> 01:48 PM)
Jared Weaver also hasn't said numerous times that he's wanted to play for the Cards. I love Mark, but he needs to be more careful about this junk, I'm tired of hearing about him and the Cardinals.

Agreed. Plus, you can't compare blood to team loyalties. The Weaver comparisons are just silly.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Dec 9, 2006 -> 01:09 PM)
Agreed. Plus, you can't compare blood to team loyalties. The Weaver comparisons are just silly.

Yeah, I don't mind the family loyalties. But I think it'd be funny if he wore an Astros or Cubs hat just becuase his brother is on the Cardinals.

Do we seriously have to have a whole thread open to this alone? This was already discussed in the JR talks. Seriously, I want to see if there is a picture back in 2005 when Mack was at the world series. He is a huge sox fan and was playing for the Pirates back then.... what if he had a hat on???/ Its unbelievable the negativity for this when it is just a hat of his childhood fav team! he's still in a sox jersey and on our roster!

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 9, 2006 -> 01:08 PM)
Whatever dude. if I played for another team I would still always wear my sox stuff, and I would always be a sox fan.

That about sums it up. Anybody who thinks MB should hide loyalty to his home team because the Sox pay his salary has not got a whole lot of understanding about growing up a fan with home team loyalty.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Dec 9, 2006 -> 02:41 PM)
That about sums it up. Anybody who thinks MB should hide loyalty to his home team because the Sox pay his salary has not got a whole lot of understanding about growing up a fan with home team loyalty.

Its pretty funny that it was mentioned that if you work at Ford though, you should ALWAYS drive a ford. Everyone at Sony ONLY buys sony. Hilarious thought process IMO.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Dec 9, 2006 -> 03:41 PM)

Well, that's total bs, but otherwise a good point.

Well i don't have a problem with him wearing a cards hat or having the stlouis area giving him awards etc. as done in previous years. The cards were his team growing up and still his team outside of the sox because he still lives in the st.louis area. He has nothing but respect to us fans and to the city of chicago and the white sox organization. Me personally would be very upset if he was traded this offseason and also lost to free agency... but if he left for the cards i would be upset but not as upset because you have to understand that it is every players dream to play for the team that you grew up being a "die hard for".... This year i have a feeling last year was just an off year and that he is going to come back and be the same ol mark which is gonna be at least 15 wins and an era in the 3's.... If the sox are gonna make a big push to keep any free agents in the next year or so make it MARK!

Some of you need to get a damn life. Do we all approve of Mark's wife? Or the car he drives? He gets paid to pitch, he could hate every White Sox fan alive if he wanted to. He doesn't, he's said he likes it here and doesn't want to play in STL, so why don't we all just stay out of something that is none of our damn business. Some of you talking about an advertisement, yeah, being invited to a private suite, I'm sure he really told that guy to upload that pic all over the internet. And I would lmao if it was some backward old school Sox hat (EDIT: See above already beat me to it)