Backup Catchers

GoSox05

Anyone but Sandy Alomar agaiN!! He is too damn old and base runners steal off him with ease.

Chris Stewart is probably the #1 option right now. This seems to be the working within our system offseason.

A couple of other options include Doug Mirabelli, Javy Lopez, Rod Barajas, and CHRIS WIDGER!

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 09:41 AM)
alomar, widger, oh god no. i want toby hall. the sox need a catcher that can actually hit and not be automatic outs.

I read today that Hall will 'probaly' go to Philly. I have no clue as to why that was said, though.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 09:43 AM)
I read today that Hall will 'probaly' go to Philly. I have no clue as to why that was said, though.

we should be able to sign him, we have money obviously becuase we havent spent any. i guess it depends on hall, he would probably want to be a starting catcher than backup..

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 03:56 PM)
I know a lot of people have their hopes and ideas for backup catchers, but with AJ catching 120-130 games a year, what quality catcher is going to WANT to come here?

great point! thats why there is a great possibility that it will be Chris Stewart.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 07:43 AM)

The Dodgers let Hall go as a favor because Hall wants a chance to at least play on a relatively consistent basis. The Dodgers couldn't offer that with Russell Martin getting the bulk of there starts and obviously the So can't offer that with AJ here.

Hall is a pretty damn fine defensive catcher who isn't too great with the bat but is obviously lightyears better than Sandy or Widger with it and is actually a pretty good hitter against LHP (which makes him a great fit). However, he wants to play and I can't blame him, he's good enough to play quite a few games for a half dozen ball clubs at the least.

QUOTE(knightni @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 12:15 PM)
Lieberthal went to LA.

I'm aware of that. That has nothing to do with Hall other than Philly may have an opening for a catcher. So do we.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 12:19 PM)
I'm aware of that. That has nothing to do with Hall other than Philly may have an opening for a catcher. So do we.

Never mind. I just checked Philly's roster. I see your point.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 09:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know a lot of people have their hopes and ideas for backup catchers, but with AJ catching 120-130 games a year, what quality catcher is going to WANT to come here?

Perhaps a guy that has been a career backup and is being pushed out by his organization?

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 01:26 PM)
The Dodgers let Hall go as a favor because Hall wants a chance to at least play on a relatively consistent basis. The Dodgers couldn't offer that with Russell Martin getting the bulk of there starts and obviously the So can't offer that with AJ here.

Hall is a pretty damn fine defensive catcher who isn't too great with the bat but is obviously lightyears better than Sandy or Widger with it and is actually a pretty good hitter against LHP (which makes him a great fit). However, he wants to play and I can't blame him, he's good enough to play quite a few games for a half dozen ball clubs at the least.

We can't always be right! ;)

JK, but you're point was very valid.