Top Ten teams of All-Time

JERMAINEDYE4MVP

10. 1976 Cincinnati Reds

Okay yes I'm a bit biased but how would you like to have been an oposing pitcher and faced this lineup. Rose, Morgan, Griffey Sr. Foster, Conception. And they won the World Seiries in Decisive Fashion.

9. The 1969 New York Mets

This is not so much for the team but how they did it. When you look at the lineup or pitching roster no one really jumps out at you (except for Nolan Ryan) but we all remeber that just 7 years only the mets lost 120 games. Aamazing turn around (yes pun intended).

8. The 1998 New York Yankees

Jeter, Williams, Rvera, and clemens. With all of those great players its no wonder the yanks won 114 reagular season games

7. The 1917 Chicago White (black) Sox

Of course this team will always be remebered for throwing the World Series but many people forget why they where heavy favorites in the firstplace. With two 30 games winner and Shoeless Joe Jackson If they weplaying at the full power I honestly believe they would've won.

6.The 1960 New York Yankees

The last year of Casey Stengal manegerial stint with the yankees was perhaps his best. The only reason they aren't higher is they didnt win the Series, but with Mantle, Maris , Berra, and Ford. This was an amazing team.

5. The 1966 Los Angeles Dodgers

They didn't have a lot of power but when you've got Koufax, and Drysdale on the hil you don't need power. Two of the best pitchers of their era, and perhaps of all time.

4. The 1908 Chicago Cubs

Another one of those not for the team but the circumstances around it. 98 yearsl ater the cubs are still praying for another one.

3. The 1955 Brooklyn Dodgers

Now this was not the best brooklyn team of the era but from 1947-54 de bums had been getting the hearts broken by the Yankees, so when they finally won it in 55' the whole city rioted.

2. The 1927 New York Yankees

With ruth and gherig in their prime the yankees were a force to be reckoned with in the season and the series. The defining momentwould have to be when ruth hit 3 homers in game 4.

1. The 2005 Chicago White Sox

Who else? The 05 White Sox were so dominat that they defined the standards for postseason play. They outscored their opponets by a total of 33 runs. Never before have we witnessed such lopsided margin of victory in postseaon play.

Uh, is this your own personal assessment of the greatest teams or a list compiled from a baseball website? It would seem strange you'd mention the Cincinnati Reds as a biased selection, however, I don't know many people outside Chicago who would label the 2005 White Sox as the best team of ALL TIME.

QUOTE(JERMAINEDYE4MVP @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 06:51 PM)
10. 1976 Cincinnati Reds

Okay yes I'm a bit biased but how would you like to have been an oposing pitcher and faced this lineup. Rose, Morgan, Griffey Sr. Foster, Conception. And they won the World Seiries in Decisive Fashion.

This is not so much for the team but how they did it. When you look at the lineup or pitching roster no one really jumps out at you (except for Nolan Ryan) but we all remeber that just 7 years only the mets lost 120 games. Aamazing turn around (yes pun intended).

Jeter, Williams, Rvera, and clemens. With all of those great players its no wonder the yanks won 114 reagular season games

Of course this team will always be remebered for throwing the World Series but many people forget why they where heavy favorites in the firstplace. With two 30 games winner and Shoeless Joe Jackson If they weplaying at the full power I honestly believe they would've won.

The last year of Casey Stengal manegerial stint with the yankees was perhaps his best. The only reason they aren't higher is they didnt win the Series, but with Mantle, Maris , Berra, and Ford. This was an amazing team.

They didn't have a lot of power but when you've got Koufax, and Drysdale on the hil you don't need power. Two of the best pitchers of their era, and perhaps of all time.

4. The 1908 Chicago Cubs

Another one of those not for the team but the circumstances around it. 98 yearsl ater the cubs are still praying for another one.

Now this was not the best brooklyn team of the era but from 1947-54 de bums had been getting the hearts broken by the Yankees, so when they finally won it in 55' the whole city rioted.

With ruth and gherig in their prime the yankees were a force to be reckoned with in the season and the series. The defining momentwould have to be when ruth hit 3 homers in game 4.

Who else? The 05 White Sox were so dominat that they defined the standards for postseason play. They outscored their opponets by a total of 33 runs. Never before have we witnessed such lopsided margin of victory in postseaon play.

So is this your own biased list or did you find this on some website?

QUOTE(JERMAINEDYE4MVP @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 04:51 PM)
10. 1976 Cincinnati Reds

4. The 1908 Chicago Cubs

I agree with your list 100%, but let me make one correction. The 1917 White Sox didn't throw the World Series, they won the series. They were the last Sox World Champions till 2005 came along. It was the 1919 team that was the Black Sox team that threw the World Series. I'm not trying to critical in any way but just wanted to point out the error.

QUOTE(whitesox1976 @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 05:26 PM)
I agree with your list 100%, but let me make one correction. The 1917 White Sox didn't throw the World Series, they won the series. They were the last Sox World Champions till 2005 came along. It was the 1919 team that was the Black Sox team that threw the World Series. I'm not trying to critical in any way but just wanted to point out the error.

:cheers you beat me to it.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 11:44 PM)
The 2005 Sox deserved to be mentioned with that group, but the greatest of all time? Come on.

Why not? Because they did not have such a large ESPN profile?

I mean, what more did they have to do? Was being only the second wire-to-wire 1st place team while holding the mark for best ever postseason run(With the '98 Yanks) not good enough for you?

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 04:02 PM)
Why not? Because they did not have such a large ESPN profile?

I mean, what more did they have to do? Was being only the second wire-to-wire 1st place team while holding the mark for best ever postseason run(With the '98 Yanks) not good enough for you?

I would have liked to see a larger regular season win total before counting them up there.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 04:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Uh, is this your own personal assessment of the greatest teams or a list compiled from a baseball website? It would seem strange you'd mention the Cincinnati Reds as a biased selection, however, I don't know many people outside Chicago who would label the 2005 White Sox as the best team of ALL TIME.

Peter Gammons called them one of the best teams of the past 30 years right after they won it.

Only two teams in baseball history have won wire to wire, had the most victories in their league and also swept the World Series: the 1927 Yankees and the 2005 White Sox.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 04:35 PM)
Peter Gammons called them one of the best teams of the past 30 years right after they won it.

Only two teams in baseball history have won wire to wire, had the most victories in their league and also swept the World Series: the 1927 Yankees and the 2005 White Sox.

Did the White Sox have the best record in the AL from wire to wire? (remember, the Yankees didn't have to deal with divisions)

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 07:27 PM)
Did the White Sox have the best record in the AL from wire to wire? (remember, the Yankees didn't have to deal with divisions)

Yes they did. They fell to Cleveland down to 1.5 ahead, but managed to hold on to that lead. I watched every game :0)

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 07:27 PM)

I think what Balta is asking, is at some point in the season did a West or East coast team have a better record. We know they won the division wire to wire, but did they always have the highest win percentage in the AL every day of the season?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 11:02 PM)
I think what Balta is asking, is at some point in the season did a West or East coast team have a better record. We know they won the division wire to wire, but did they always have the highest win percentage in the AL every day of the season?

Never. The closest any team was when the Orioles were tied with the Sox at 4-2.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 09:02 PM)

The Cardinals did wind up with a better record, but that was an NL team.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 11:02 PM)

To answer your question. Yes. The Sox went wire-2-wire not only in the central but the entire AL.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 11:44 PM)
The 2005 Sox deserved to be mentioned with that group, but the greatest of all time? Come on.

Remember this is a White Sox forum. I disagree with the list because it doesn't include more White Sox teams and I am proud to say I am biased. :D :gosox2:

I loved the 05 Sox, but let's not get carried away - they weren't the best team of all time. In the last 25 years, I'd put them behind the 98 Yankees, and maybe tied with the 99 Yankees and 89 A's.

Of all-time, I'd probably put the 27 Yankees first and one of the those classic Big Red Machine clubs up there too before the 05 Sox.