ex-Pres Carter is chicken!

EvilMonkey

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/12/15/D8M1FLN80.html

Carter Nixes Debate With Outspoken Prof

Dec 15 2:42 PM US/Eastern

Former President Carter turned down a request to debate Alan Dershowitz about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, saying the outspoken Harvard law professor "knows nothing about the situation."

Carter, author of a new book advocating "peace not apartheid" in the region, said he will not visit Brandeis University to discuss the book because the university requested he debate Dershowitz.

"I don't want to have a conversation even indirectly with Dershowitz," Carter said in Friday's Boston Globe. "There is no need ... to debate somebody who, in my opinion, knows nothing about the situation in Palestine." .....

Um, Jimmy? YOU know nothing about the situationin Palestine! I think you said you wanted to 'stimulate debate on the Israeli-Palastine issues'. If so, then why not debate? Chicken!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Dec 17, 2006 -> 08:11 AM)
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/12/15/D8M1FLN80.html

Um, Jimmy? YOU know nothing about the situationin Palestine! I think you said you wanted to 'stimulate debate on the Israeli-Palastine issues'. If so, then why not debate? Chicken!

You'd think if Carter really believed what he said, that he'd be all gung ho for the debate. If your opponent 'knows nothing' then you embarrass him in public debate.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 17, 2006 -> 01:42 PM)
You'd think if Carter really believed what he said, that he'd be all gung ho for the debate. If your opponent 'knows nothing' then you embarrass him in public debate.

Academically, there were more than a few questions about the academic integrity of Dershowitz's "The Case for Israel" in his usage of sources, not citing them etc. He was cleared by Harvard but there's a lot of other colleges who believe that he was still less than academically honest.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rj-eskow/der...s-_b_26296.html

http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?ItemID=10891

http://dir.salon.com/story/books/feature/2...witz/index.html

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Dec 17, 2006 -> 01:52 PM)
Academically, there were more than a few questions about the academic integrity of Dershowitz's "The Case for Israel" in his usage of sources, not citing them etc. He was cleared by Harvard but there's a lot of other colleges who believe that he was still less than academically honest.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rj-eskow/der...s-_b_26296.html

http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?ItemID=10891

http://dir.salon.com/story/books/feature/2...witz/index.html

All the more reason Carter should smoke his ass in a debate.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 17, 2006 -> 02:01 PM)
Apparently, Carter agrees with you.

You know Jimmy Carter pardoned the Puerto Rican "nationalists" who tried to kill Truman, as well as the ones who fired off machine guns in the House of Representatives in the Fifties, on the grounds that they were "political prisoners" (and to gain PR votes?

He wouldn't agree with me unless I were a terrorist or telling him that it be a good idea to invade Iran with half a dozen helicopters.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 17, 2006 -> 02:01 PM)
Apparently, Carter agrees with you.

True true. I just have a severe dislike for Dershowitz. He throws out accusations of bigotry and anti-Semitism during debates more happily than a chimp in a beat off contest. Most notibly, he said that Norman Finkelstein was anti-Semitic and did not understand the plight of those who survived the Holocaust -- except both Finkelstein's parents were Holocaust survivors. Dersh was just pissed because Finkelstein's study in "The Holocaust Industry: Exploitations of Jewish Suffering" showed how the Holocaust was being cheapened by the vein of academics such as Dersh who threw it out there all the time when the seriousness was not there. He also showed mathematically that due to the severity of the Holocaust and the populations of Jews in the world at the time, that many of the new claims of survivors trying to get money from Swiss banks etc. were likely to be false. Finkelstein thought that that sort of crap shat all over the memory of the Holocaust and was actually defending the banks from being defrauded. He felt that if people exploit the Holocaust for their own personal gain, it actually cheapens and destroys the true brutal inhumanity that was suffered there and that he saw when his parents told him about their experiences.

That may be true in a written debate, but in oral debates, *sounding* good is far more important than being correct. Alan Dershowitz is an accomplished lawyer, so he's a persuasive speaker. Jimmy Carter doesn't come across as being all that great of a speaker to me.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Dec 17, 2006 -> 02:24 PM)
Sorry, but Carter isn't even close.

Carter is defenitely top 5 all time. I dont think he's the absolute worst though.

QUOTE(CrimsonWeltall @ Dec 17, 2006 -> 03:11 PM)
That may be true in a written debate, but in oral debates, *sounding* good is far more important than being correct. Alan Dershowitz is an accomplished lawyer, so he's a persuasive speaker. Jimmy Carter doesn't come across as being all that great of a speaker to me.

You're right. Dershowitz is an accomplished lawyer..........Carter is not only a poor speaker but he's an accomplished pussy. Alan would eat him alive.

Interesting, if the former President Bush was challenged to a debate by Cindy Sheehan, would he be chicken for not responding? GMAB people. The lack of respect for Presidents is appalling. I don't think any of you would have been saying this if Reagan turned down a challenge from someone.

And say what you will about Carter, but he has lived a very noble life. I believe he has walked the talk for many decades. Could you imagine Reagan building homes for poor people? Traveling the world to monitor elections. I am far prouder of Carter than anyone that followed him.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 17, 2006 -> 10:21 PM)
Interesting, if the former President Bush was challenged to a debate by Cindy Sheehan, would he be chicken for not responding? GMAB people. The lack of respect for Presidents is appalling. I don't think any of you would have been saying this if Reagan turned down a challenge from someone.

And say what you will about Carter, but he has lived a very noble life. I believe he has walked the talk for many decades. Could you imagine Reagan building homes for poor people? Traveling the world to monitor elections. I am far prouder of Carter than anyone that followed him.

But but but, he's a liberal so it's funnier to go after him!

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 18, 2006 -> 04:21 AM)

Tex, if former President Bush wrote a book on how wonderful the war in Iraq was, etc, then you may have a point. jimmy should stick to building houses. He sucked at forwegn policy when he was President, and got screwed in any legacy he might have had by Iran, and has been dying to make it up since. certifying elections? He can't get facts straight in his own book, what is his opinion on certifying elections worth? He certifies elections in Mozambique and Ethiopia , where a rush to certify the election results despite widespread accusations of vote rigging had even the EU questioning him.

Dershowitz is criticized for supposedly not citing sources, while Carter gets a pass for lifting passages and completly wrong facts? Carter sucked as a President. When he started HFH, he was doing a good thnig. Then somehow he decided to try and become important again, and is in way over his head. As for respect, he needs to show the office a little respect himself.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 17, 2006 -> 10:21 PM)

Cindy Sheehan isn't a scholar and expert on a controversial book former president Bush wrote. What would they debate? "NO BLOOD FOR OIL!" or some other slogan she has learned?

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Dec 17, 2006 -> 11:07 PM)
As for respect, he needs to show the office a little respect himself.

Reagan after leaving office went and gave a little speech in Japan for US$3,000,000. Carter went and built homes and championed for human rights around the globe. I am forgetting, and it's late, what did Carter earn a Nobel prize for? I guess that broght disrespect to the office.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Dec 17, 2006 -> 11:20 PM)
Cindy Sheehan isn't a scholar and expert on a controversial book former president Bush wrote. What would they debate? "NO BLOOD FOR OIL!" or some other slogan she has learned?

Bush would kill her in a debate, so why would he be afraid? Why would he be chicken?

YASNY, worse in your lifetime? Worse than Ford? Nixon?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 17, 2006 -> 11:51 PM)
Reagan after leaving office went and gave a little speech in Japan for US$3,000,000. Carter went and built homes and championed for human rights around the globe. I am forgetting, and it's late, what did Carter earn a Nobel prize for? I guess that broght disrespect to the office.

Bush would kill her in a debate, so why would he be afraid? Why would he be chicken?

YASNY, worse in your lifetime? Worse than Ford? Nixon?

Nixon and Ford had a variety of achievements. Nixon's one shortcoming was that he was a sack of s*** as a human being. Not that his policies were particularly wrong. Ford, for his own sake, was very good with the Soviets.