College: University of Kentucky
Position: Second Base
Throws: Right
Bats: Right
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 185

2006 Season Statistics
Great Falls White Sox
.272 AVG in 66 Games, 250 At-Bats, 37 runs, 68 hits, 12 doubles, 3 triples, 8 HR, 36 RBI, 110 total bases, 18 walks, 55 strikeouts, 8 steals, .332 OBP, .440 SLG, .772 OPS

- 2006 Second-Team All-SEC
- SEC Player of the Week (April 24)
- 2006 Baseball America Preseason All-American
- 2006 Brooks Wallace Award Watch List
- 2006 Preseason All-SEC (sebaseball.com)
- 2005 ABCA First-Team All-South Region
- 2005 First-Team All-SEC (sebaseball.com)
- 2005 Second-Team All-SEC (coaches)
- 2005 USA Baseball National Team Trials

College Highlights from 2006:
Led all SEC middle infielders with 18 home runs and 18 doubles ... 18 home runs are ninth best in school annals … Played in 59 games, starting 58 … Started season off slowly before finding swing and batting .291 for the season with 56 RBI … Named SEC Player of the Week after leading UK to sweep of South Carolina by hitting five extra-base hits and driving in six while scoring five runs ... Hit walk-off home run off South Carolina ace Wynn Pelzer in 11th inning of game one … Hit two or more home runs in four SEC series, including three against Mississippi State … Drove in six vs. Cleveland State in two home run performance … Perfect in game vs. Auburn going 4-for-4 with four RBI … Homered twice in game on two different occasions … Recorded three or more hits in nine games … Stole two bases in three games … Doubled in five consecutive games … Batting .500 when bases are loaded, driving in 14 … On three different weekends has slugged better than 1.000 ... One of only two players in SEC with at least 10 home runs and 10 stolen bases ... Only the second player in school history with back-to-back season with at least 10 HR and 10 SB … Ranks sixth on UK’s career home run list (36) and seventh on stolen base list (42) … Only Kentucky player is school history with at least 35 HR and 35 RBI … Homered twice and added two doubles in game one of series against Auburn ... Homered in all three games of series sweep of Mississippi State ... Blasted game-winning home run across Todd Helton Way in ninth-inning of game two win at Tennessee ... Since April 15, is hitting .347 with nine home runs and 23 RBIs ... Had 11-game stretch midway through year where he hit eight homers and drove in 25 ... Blasted home run in the second round of the SEC Tournament vs. Georgia … Finished NCAA Regional game against Ball State 4-for-5 with three RBI.

I'd imagine either Kanny or WS. Considering he's a collegiate player you could see the Sox rushing him to WS, but at the same time there wouldn't be much trouble starting him in Kanny (considering he stayed at Great Falls all season).

He's a similar guy to Ray Durham (just not near as fast).

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Shelby is on a bit of a rampage. Tonight, he and teammate Mike Grace combined for 10 rbi.

Shelby has hit in 21 straight games going 34-93, 7 HR and 27 rbi. For the season, Shelby is now batting .297.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/news/ar...b&fext=.jsp

Edited by BigEdWalsh

• 2 months later...

Shelby finished with a .301/.352/.508 and I'm wondering why I wasn't more aware of this. For a 21 year old in low-A that's pretty good. Unfortunately, it seems his defense has a ways to go. Any idea on what the organization plans for Shelby going forward -- center field, second base? I hope they don't make a rash judgement and stick him in left -- his bat isn't good enough to play there, but if he could get his defense at second or center to be 'passable' or 'mediocre', he'll be an asset in the organization.

He, DLS and Carter will certainly be guys to keep an eye on at Winston Salem this season.

Shelby had the best 2nd half of any prospect in the Sox system.

A .923 OPS in the 2nd half? 1.098 OPS in August alone?

Safely hit in 31 of his last 33 games?

Had 3-HRs/26-RBIs in the first half... then had 13-HRs/53-RBIs in the second half?

Looks like the lightswitch flicked on for him offensively. Didn't even look like the same player.

Let's hope he keeps it going at Winston-Salem in '08.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 23, 2007 -> 01:28 PM)
Shelby finished with a .301/.352/.508 and I'm wondering why I wasn't more aware of this. For a 21 year old in low-A that's pretty good. Unfortunately, it seems his defense has a ways to go. Any idea on what the organization plans for Shelby going forward -- center field, second base? I hope they don't make a rash judgement and stick him in left -- his bat isn't good enough to play there, but if he could get his defense at second or center to be 'passable' or 'mediocre', he'll be an asset in the organization.

He, DLS and Carter will certainly be guys to keep an eye on at Winston Salem this season.

Shelby will probably be a CFer. On top of that after this season he will probably be one of the 4 best prospects in the system. I currently see him as a B prospect but in a year I think he'll be elevated to a B+/A- prospect (just a great pure hitter, with good athletic abilities).

Shelby will probably be a CFer. On top of that after this season he will probably be one of the 4 best prospects in the system. I currently see him as a B prospect but in a year I think he'll be elevated to a B+/A- prospect (just a great pure hitter, with good athletic abilities).

Do you think he'll be a CF because they are badly lacking in CF prospects in the system, or are you thinking/hearing he's not that good at 2B?

From what I heard (which was very little), they like his athleticism and his bat. I know they had him in CF a fair amount this year but I didn't get much of a read on how it turned out. The batting surge in the 2nd half is a good sign though.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Oct 25, 2007 -> 07:03 AM)
Do you think he'll be a CF because they are badly lacking in CF prospects in the system, or are you thinking/hearing he's not that good at 2B?

From what I heard (which was very little), they like his athleticism and his bat. I know they had him in CF a fair amount this year but I didn't get much of a read on how it turned out. The batting surge in the 2nd half is a good sign though.

I think it is definitely one part due to the Sox lack of legitimate CF prospects. However, I also think that in general CF is a more premium position so they feel his athletism is best used at CF. I think his early struggles at the plate were at least in part due to him spending additional time learning the new position. He is supposed to have the tools to be an average to a bit above average defensive CFer.

I don't think we are talking about a premium defensive player, but at the same time, if his bat projects the way a lot of people think it will (myself included) we will be talking about a good who has a chance at being an above average cf'er (something that is much more difficult to find than a 2nd baseman).

Also, it definitely has little to do with him not being good at 2nd base. I'm not sure if he's great over there but I never have heard much about him being a poor defensive 2nd baseman. If he stuck at 2nd I'd probably compare the guy to Ray Durham. Above average range for a 2nd baseman, but maybe some minor errors that would make him just a solid second baseman (but with a good stick like Ray Ray always had).

Shelby struggled at 2B defensively in '07: 16 errors in 54 games - a .936 fielding percentage.

I think the Sox were concerned that his fielding struggles were affecting his hitting and decided to move him to the outfield to take the pressure off and let him concentrate on developing his offensive skills. Looks like it worked.

Last year ('06) he wasn't nearly as bad in the infield (8 errors; .964 fielding percentage). So... who knows?

If he keeps hitting like he did in the second half, I don't care what position he plays.

Edited by scenario

• 6 months later...

Shelby is at .323/.364/.548/.912, has 4 homers, and is 7/7 in steals for W-S right now after missing the 2nd half of April due to injury. It also appears he's being used exclusively in the OF/as a DH these days.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I think the DH role is because he is still coming back from injury. That and the OF is kinda crowded in WS with Sanchez, Gomes, Orlando, and I think one other. I know pre-draft there was an article about Shelby and I really wanted the whitesox to draft him and was ecstatic when we did. It definitely would be nice if he could play 2B in the majors but that looks like less and less of a possibility.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...