what do you think about erstad?

Hatchetman

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Dec 20, 2006 -> 03:39 PM)
yeah why would you want a guy who's hit .273 with a .323 obp and a .997 fielding percentage over the past 4 years when you can have a guy who's hit .225 with a .290 obp and .994 fielding percentage instead??? ;)

I know there's a ;) , but I'm still unsure how to react. (You don't post enough in PHT for me to know any better)

I'll just point out -- something I'm sure you already know -- Fielding percentage is pretty freakin' useless, and Erstad's last 360 AB's amount to a .243/.287/.332 line.

Not a terrible option as a backup OF, but again, I'd like to point out, we don't have any openings on our 40 man roster, so basically we'd have to release someone from it (Terrero?) in order to sign Erstadt, something I'll bet KW weighed when he decided to open the offseason by signing Terrero.

The only option is as a backup CF.

Still I don't know whether he'd be an upgrade on Terrero or not, and there's always the question of injuries with Erstad.

Still because KW almost traded for him, I could see a move like this possibly happening.

But if we could get him for a cheap minor league deal, why wouldnt we go after him? He is going be an outstanding late innings defensive replacement in the outfield or at first base, and he could probably teach Anderson some stuff. I know his numbers aren't very impressive, but he will post better numbers than Terrero or Owens.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 21, 2006 -> 09:34 AM)
I don't think Kenny would have signed Terrero with Erstadt on the market if he thought Darrin was a better option.

But there's always the option of Terrero playing in Charlotte to start of the season.

KW may of thought that Erstad may of have signed elsewhere already (although that is pretty doubtful),so hence he may try to sign him now possibly.

Not saying that I want Erstad on the team because of his stats offensively though.

Still hopefully we do actually do carry a backup OF who can handle CF well defensively on the 25 man roster.

There's a reason why Erstad's phone hasn't been ringing this offseason, he's a pretty horrible offensive player (as much as I dislike Pods, Scott has the superior bat), he can't stay healthy to save his life, has gotten very old very quick and has seen his OF defense diminish quite a bit because of injury and age.

If you're looking for a bat to platoon with BA/Pods he is not the answer and if you're looking for an above average defensive 4th OF he's not the answer (Terrero is probably a better solution).