1. 1. What kind of town is Chicago?

• Baseball
    • Football
    • Basketball

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jan 4, 2007 -> 09:34 PM)
Am I the only one who read the title? The starter is asking about a particular SPORT, not TEAM.

Chicago Baseball = Cubs + White Sox + Cardinals

Chicago Football = Bears + Packers

No, actually i've been wondering the same thing.

Am I the only one who read the title? The starter is asking about a particular SPORT, not TEAM.

If the whole Sox vs Cubs thing wasn't mention ad naseum, it probably wouldnt' keep going back there.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jan 4, 2007 -> 01:22 PM)
For only 16 games, i believe they would without a doubt. If the sox play only every other sunday at home, people would jam the place regardless of opponent.

It's way easier to be a bears fan in this town than it is a baseball fan, as it's a shorter season. As i said earlier, they attract the 'dumb' fan very easily.

Nice Post. Its too hard to compare the two sports, because YES Football is much easier to follow

(Baseball makes most impatient), its on Once a week, and they only play 16 games, and depending on which team you like, the early games are the most meaningful.

Yes I did...and answered earlier in the thread.

I voted football in the poll but I'm not nearly as adamant as many here are about football's primacy in Chicago. Yes, it is the #1 sport, BUT I will hold up the Sox celebration of their championship around town to the Bears' any day. The Bears got a great party. When the Sox won it all, this town went into joyous meltdown. Baseball still holds the core of many people's hearts in this town.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Jan 5, 2007 -> 09:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes I did...and answered earlier in the thread.

Are you talking about this?

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Dec 21, 2006 -> 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First of all, Chicago is DEFINITELY a football town. Where else can hated rivals in the summer come together and cheer with each other in the winter? Not New York, they are divided in ALL sports. Not LA, unless you consider the Kings (which I don't).

As for your other cities. I think you ar dead-on. Not sure about Detroit, but I think it's a coin flip between hockey and basketball.

Houston? Football, hands down. Even with the Texans, who, um, aren't that good...there's still high school football and college football. In fact, I would default all of Texas to football.

So your logic was that the HATE of the seperate baseball teams make this a football town???

I don't see you loking exclusively at the sport.

Is the White Sox love + Cubs love > Bears love in this town? Maybe, but I certainly wouldn't say Bears love >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> White Sox love + Cubs love in this town.

Plus wouldn't loving one baseball team and hating another one with a great passion (although not all Sox fans hate the Cubs and Vice Versa) make that sport more popular because the fan is so passionate both in a negative and positive fashion towards a team? :huh:

This quote was on ESPN.

But Sunday at an unfilled Soldier Field (an embarrassing 6,659 no-shows on a surprisingly tame 32-degree January day on the lakefront), Grossman kept his screw-ups to a workable number.

Can anyone attest to this? I've never heard of that at a playoff game in Chicago.

i stopped reading after the first page and this has nothing to do with the argument over whether this is a football town, because it is. BUt i do find it amazing how people have forgotten how popular the hawks were in the early to mid nineties. I used to be able to list the entire 94 hawks team, and yet i can barely remember most of the 94 bears season. The UC used to be packed even after it was decided it was a remarkably disappointing experience coming from Chicago stadium to the UC. What Wirts has done to that franchise is so saddening. I don't watch the hawks, and i don't know s*** about the hawks anymore. And that is his fault, entirely.

btw, does anyone remember that paper "the blue line". Oh man i used to love that.

QUOTE(Balance @ Dec 21, 2006 -> 10:27 AM)
Here's one more vote for football. I think it's clear that while the Sox-Cubs rivalry is a wonderful part of Chicago's identity, we're all Bears fans.

I think the rivalry is retarded.

QUOTE(bmags @ Jan 16, 2007 -> 08:20 AM)
i stopped reading after the first page and this has nothing to do with the argument over whether this is a football town, because it is. BUt i do find it amazing how people have forgotten how popular the hawks were in the early to mid nineties. I used to be able to list the entire 94 hawks team, and yet i can barely remember most of the 94 bears season. The UC used to be packed even after it was decided it was a remarkably disappointing experience coming from Chicago stadium to the UC. What Wirts has done to that franchise is so saddening. I don't watch the hawks, and i don't know s*** about the hawks anymore. And that is his fault, entirely.

btw, does anyone remember that paper "the blue line". Oh man i used to love that.

The Blackhawks had, IIRC, the longest streak in professional sports of making the postseason for something like 27 straight years. That's incredible. And as far back as I can remember, the Blackhawks were the toughest ticket in town until the Bulls started winning.

It's saddening and maddening what Dollar Bill is doing to that franchise, letting it rust in the harbor. Overtly lying to fans and letting Roenick get away as well as the rest of the nucleus of those great teams of the early 90s that were only one or two pieces away from a Stanley Cup and getting nothing for them, not pulling the trigger on free agents that could really help, instead signing journeyman third-liners that score 42 points in a good year. I lived and breathed Blackhawk hockey from the mid-80s through college, and I can name maybe four players on this year's team. When I lived in Minneapolis, I got into following the Gophers and the Wild, the year they went to the Conference Finals against Anaheim.

But I still wear my Roenick jersey when I'm feeling nostalgic.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I voted for baseball, I think it captures much more of the city and makes chicago summers the best in the country.

I was pretty surprised that the city wasn't crazier for the bears. I think the '85 bears were obviously huge and won over the whole city but a big part of that was the lack of any championship sports teams for so long before them.

I live on the near north side and when the sox won the world series it was amazing that all of the bars were full and people were going fricking nuts when the sox won...and this was in supposed cubs fan territory.

Personally for me I am a bears fan but I am much more passionate of a white sox fan.

So while everyone is a bears fan I would say that Chicagoans are more passionate fans to their baseball teams. As evidenced by the white sox world series championship and the yearly Cubs/Sox rivalry.

QUOTE(chiguy79 @ Feb 5, 2007 -> 12:01 PM)
I voted for baseball, I think it captures much more of the city and makes chicago summers the best in the country.

I was pretty surprised that the city wasn't crazier for the bears. I think the '85 bears were obviously huge and won over the whole city but a big part of that was the lack of any championship sports teams for so long before them.

I live on the near north side and when the sox won the world series it was amazing that all of the bars were full and people were going fricking nuts when the sox won...and this was in supposed cubs fan territory.

Personally for me I am a bears fan but I am much more passionate of a white sox fan.

So while everyone is a bears fan I would say that Chicagoans are more passionate fans to their baseball teams. As evidenced by the white sox world series championship and the yearly Cubs/Sox rivalry.

Very well said... I concur! :gosox1: :gosox2: :gosox3: :gosox4: :gosoxretro: