McCarthy Traded to Texas

SnB

QUOTE(TheOcho @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 02:10 PM)
So do you like Floyd as our 5th starter? Then eventually us bringing up Gio Gonzalez or Danks to try and fill that hole when Floyd f***s up?

And you don't know if Danks is going to be a ton better in 2 years.

everyone seems to agree here that McCarthy is, to some level, a prospect. we havent seen his best, we hope. he could go up or down, either way.

so if KW scouted guys and decided they are better prospects, they have more raw ability than Brandon... dont we have to go for that.

if you ask me, McCarthy was at his peak as a trading chip. if he starts next year and puts up a 3.90 ERA, then you have no more trading chip and you have a just-ok starter. but he's cheap!!!11! and he'd be around forever !

if on the other hand, we've brought in some real firepower with this trade... then you are willing to give up that other lower-ceiling unknown.

Edited by Princess Dye

• Replies 864
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 02:13 PM)
Because it's true? If it weren't for a horrible first half last year, Garland is considered one of the elite pitchers out there. Even so, he has WAY more value than Brandon. You're kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

With the way KW is formulating this team, do you think it wiser to trade Garland instead of BMac, then use the extra 10 million for current players or perhaps another trade? I think personally, I would have been much more satisfied with the Houston deal than this trade.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 03:10 PM)
So as it stands right now, Floyd-Sisco-Danks are going at it for the 5th starter spot????

The 5th starter merry-go-round is BACK

Not to mention the fact that we don't know what were going to get out of everybody in the rotation besides Garland.

We've got Vazquez who can't pitch more than 5 innings.

Buehrle finished the season getting rocked.

Contreras can't stay healthy.

i really dont get it since mccarthy is cheap and young, but danks is a better prospect than mccarthy was, is younger and is lefthanded, so i understand his addition....i just thought we coulda landed baldelli or someone fo that ilk that can help us now for bmac

on another note...the sox sure do love the danks boys, they tried to get the younger brother even though he had a strong commitment to texas when the sox grabbed him in the 18th round or so last year

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 01:43 PM)
I can't believe the boards aren't lit up yet. I know we just got the news 10 minutes ago, but usually something like this gets around in 5.

Just saw it, I must say, I dont understnad this move at all. BMAC was ready to be a mainstay in our rotation for years. There must be something we dont know about BMAC, because this trade kinda blows.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 08:20 PM)
i really dont get it since mccarthy is cheap and young, but danks is a better prospect than mccarthy was, is younger and is lefthanded, so i understand his addition....i just thought we coulda landed baldelli or someone fo that ilk that can help us now for bmac

on another note...the sox sure do love the danks boys, they tried to get the younger brother even though he had a strong commitment to texas when the sox grabbed him in the 18th round or so last year

IT'S BECAUSE OZZIE GUILLEN DOES LIKE BRANDON MCCARTHY! I hope he goes to Texas and wins the Cy Young.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 03:18 PM)
Does anyone know of any other possible trades that this trade may make possible?

Nothing that hasn't been mentioned already. KW says he won't trade pitching unless he's getting other pitching. That pretty much excludes Baldelli or Crawford.

I don't think the halo's would part with Santana or Lackey for anything we have.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 08:21 PM)
Maybe another move is coming, so it will make some more sense, but I just don't get it.

As it stands, Hager-Floyd-Danks-Sisco-Gio will be going out for the 5th spot. That's a huge gamble in itself. What happens if Count goes down again? Or a freak injury happens. Isn't that what killed this organization from 01-04? And fixing that is what got us a championship in 05, right?

Also, isn't Kenny sort of contradicting himself with some of these moves. I understand Danks Arb clock hasn't even started, but it sounded like the goal of this off-season was to get rid of the expiring contracts so we had a core locked up for while. Doesn't trading Mack go against all of that???

KW needs to keep his mouth shut, because he's been nothing but hypocritical this offseason. We've now made two moves that significantly hurts the 2007 team, which is something he said we'd never do.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 02:18 PM)
So we won't trade McCarthy for Crawford or Rocco, but we'll trade him for two pitching prospects from a terrible organization at developing pitchers?

What in the world is KW planning to do with our rotation in 2008?

If we were looking to trade BMAC, why the hell didnt we get Crawford or someone of the sort for him instead of more pitching spects. Danks is good and Masset could be in our pen this year, but seriously this is almost a step back. I would have rather traded someone more expensive at least.

We're certainly going to regret letting Brandon go. I honestly can't believe we traded him, the more I think about this the more I want to kill someone, trading McCarthy is going to bite us in the ass this year and forever . Danks is fine but Brandon will be the better starter through out his career. As for Masset I assume he'll get a shot at the bullpen this season. I can't believe Brandon is gone.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 03:22 PM)
KW needs to keep his mouth shut, because he's been nothing but hypocritical this offseason. We've now made two moves that significantly hurts the 2007 team, which is something he said we'd never do.

He's been saying were making sure were ready in the future all offseason long. I didn't know he meant we were rebuilding because at this point, there are too many question marks for a team that supposed to be a WS contender.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 02:22 PM)

losing Garcia and McCarthy.... isnt the team pretty much the same if we have a decent fifth starter and someone in RH relief that takes to it better than Brandon (not hard)