Fifth starter?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the Sox's fifth starter

• Gavin floyd
    • John Danks
    • Charlie Haeger
    • Felix Diaz
    • Scott Schonweis

QUOTE(HoosierSox @ Dec 27, 2006 -> 10:25 AM)
Wont Haeger have trouble throwing the knuckler in Arizona. My guess is Floyd gets the spot. But who knows.

Floyd's best pitch ATM though is his curveball, so he could too have problems in spring training with that pitch.

I really don't take much stock into what a pitcher does in spring training though (if you remember with B-Mac in the 2005 ST for example).

I think its gonna be Floyd and I think he is gonna be pretty good too.Cooper has a history of working well with pitchers that have gone through struggles and just need some tweaking.Coop hasnt really been able to groom a young pitcher with raw talent and bring them to maturity yet.Besides Jenks.

QUOTE(rcpweiner @ Dec 29, 2006 -> 02:12 AM)
I can't believe Weaver's still out there. I'd take him as a 5th starter in a heartbeat, depending on the money, of course. What's a reasonable deal? I have no idea in this crazy market.

Please everyone just stop it.Stop it now.............no there you go again.Stop it.

I voted for Haeger, because you can't bring a knuckler out of the bullpen and Haeger seems nearest to being ready. I agree that Floyd would be #2 if he can harness his control and get guys out.

Danks, Gonzalez, et al. are being groomed to replace Buehrle, Vazquez, Contreras and Garland.

The trouble is, the Sox will never be able to use all of these arms, and not all of them will turn out to be major league players. If they knew which ones would turn out, and which won't, they would trade the bad ones for outfielders. We need a LF and CF this year, and next year will be hard-pressed to replace Jermaine Dye.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Dec 29, 2006 -> 11:59 AM)
I voted for Haeger, because you can't bring a knuckler out of the bullpen and Haeger seems nearest to being ready. I agree that Floyd would be #2 if he can harness his control and get guys out.

Danks, Gonzalez, et al. are being groomed to replace Buehrle, Vazquez, Contreras and Garland.

The trouble is, the Sox will never be able to use all of these arms, and not all of them will turn out to be major league players. If they knew which ones would turn out, and which won't, they would trade the bad ones for outfielders. We need a LF and CF this year, and next year will be hard-pressed to replace Jermaine Dye.

Hoyt Wilhelm. Eddie Fisher. Wilbur Wood. Nope, you can't bring a knuckler out of the bullpen.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Dec 29, 2006 -> 12:45 PM)
Another guy I believe is still out there that could be of some interest as a stop gap 5th starter could be Tomo Ohka possibly? Pure speculation of course.

Whoo boy I think i just threw up in my mouth. Lets keep this at pure speculation please

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 29, 2006 -> 05:33 AM)
Let me put this simply...

Jeff.Weaver.Will.NEVER.Pitch.For.The.Chicago.White.Sox.

Ever.

and Brandon McCarthy is untouchable.

Like I said, Weaver is a tool. I wouldn't be jumping for joy to see him in a Sox uniform but if memory serves me correctly KW had some serious interest in him a few years ago when he was still with the Tigers. And he wouldn't be the 5th starter, Javy would. If his playoff performance wasn't a fluke, he's better by far.

Also, I'd be surprised if the Sox didn't sign a more significant free agent than Toby Hall this off season. Didn't the Freddy trade free up some salary?

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Dec 29, 2006 -> 01:41 PM)
and Brandon McCarthy is untouchable.

Like I said, Weaver is a tool. I wouldn't be jumping for joy to see him in a Sox uniform but if memory serves me correctly KW had some serious interest in him a few years ago when he was still with the Tigers. And he wouldn't be the 5th starter, Javy would. If his playoff performance wasn't a fluke, he's better by far.

Also, I'd be surprised if the Sox didn't sign a more significant free agent than Toby Hall this off season. Didn't the Freddy trade free up some salary?

There is history between the Sox and Jeff Weaver, even beyond the fact he is a complete A-hole. Go back and read up on when the Sox drafted him, and Weaver starting the brawl in 2000 against the Sox. Hell, Weaver has had his own teammates try and kick his ass for being such a prick.

I'll say it again, and I would put money on it.

Ever.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 29, 2006 -> 11:47 AM)
There is history between the Sox and Jeff Weaver, even beyond the fact he is a complete A-hole. Go back and read up on when the Sox drafted him, and Weaver starting the brawl in 2000 against the Sox. Hell, Weaver has had his own teammates try and kick his ass for being such a prick.

I'll say it again, and I would put money on it.

Ever.

The Sox have had heavy interest in Weaver numerous times. They are fans of the kid. Yes they were mad when he was on the Tigers and that brawl happened but Weaver is not at all known as a prick. He's been liked in every clubhouse he's been and the only place he's ever really stunk were in Anaheim and New York (both AL teams) but he was also very good with the Tigers. And the Angel players never had anything but positives to say about Weaver.

I think if we decided to move Buehrle, you should jump all over Weaver for one year (if its possible). He'd give us innings and some ocassional really good starts and he has a very positive attitude and is a throwback type of player (hard-nosed).