Fifth starter?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the Sox's fifth starter

• Gavin floyd
    • John Danks
    • Charlie Haeger
    • Felix Diaz
    • Scott Schonweis

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 26, 2006 -> 12:21 PM)
Felix Diaz and Scott Shoenweis? OK.... Maybe you want to put Sisco and Masset up there instead?

yea, that was like a joke. Than again i forgot about the no "joke" or "funny" rule on here.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Dec 26, 2006 -> 04:57 PM)
The knuckler gets the 5th spot.

If no one steps up in ST then I think Haeger wins it by default. I would love to see him in the rotation, but I have the feeling one of Floyd or Danks will really impress and win the job. It would be really interesting to see a promising young knuckleballer starting for the sox.

QUOTE(kevo880 @ Dec 26, 2006 -> 02:45 PM)
If no one steps up in ST then I think Haeger wins it by default. I would love to see him in the rotation, but I have the feeling one of Floyd or Danks will really impress and win the job. It would be really interesting to see a promising young knuckleballer starting for the sox.

I can't be the only one here who doesn't want to see Danks in the rotation at all in 2007. The 3 guys I don't want to see are: Gio, Danks, then Broadway (wanting to see Gio up the least).

We just spent a lot in terms of talent in order to bring these people in to be the future. Risking the future by bringing these guys to the big leagues too fast to try to save the present is not, to my eyes, a good strategy.

Even if those guys impress in ST, at least let them start the season at AAA. Don't rush them, there's no reason to do that, not for a 5th starter slot.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 26, 2006 -> 04:50 PM)
I can't be the only one here who doesn't want to see Danks in the rotation at all in 2007. The 3 guys I don't want to see are: Gio, Danks, then Broadway (wanting to see Gio up the least).

We just spent a lot in terms of talent in order to bring these people in to be the future. Risking the future by bringing these guys to the big leagues too fast to try to save the present is not, to my eyes, a good strategy.

Even if those guys impress in ST, at least let them start the season at AAA. Don't rush them, there's no reason to do that, not for a 5th starter slot.

^^^

I think it's between Gavin and Chuck.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 26, 2006 -> 05:50 PM)

I agree, rushing them could definitely hurt their future. The only one out of those three I would consider is Danks. He appears to be the most major league ready and I would only have him in the majors if he did considerably better than any of the other potential #5 starters.

While were talking about our young pitching. The AAA starting rotation is going to be sick this year.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Dec 26, 2006 -> 02:54 PM)

I would be very unhappy if we saw anyone other than those 2 in the 5th starter spot much before the trade deadline.

QUOTE(kevo880 @ Dec 26, 2006 -> 02:56 PM)
I agree, rushing them could definitely hurt their future. The only one out of those three I would consider is Danks. He appears to be the most major league ready and I would only have him in the majors if he did considerably better than any of the other potential #5 starters.

While were talking about our young pitching. The AAA starting rotation is going to be sick this year.

Even if he did significantly better than them in ST, he's still one of the youngest guys up at the AAA level, he hasn't had more than a handful of AAA games, and he's still only had just over a season at AA or above.

I want him to stew in AAA for at least a few months. I'd prefer the full year, and a callup in September if he has a good year. The last thing we want is for him to come up, get blown out a couple times or struggle with something and wind up starting to screw with his mechanics, overthrow the ball, or stop trusting his stuff. If he's dominating and someone offers us something damn useful for Buehrle at the trade deadline, ok, maybe I could live with it, but that's the only way I want to see him.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Dec 26, 2006 -> 05:54 PM)
^^^

I believe KW has gone on the record and said it's mainly between Floyd, Haeger, and Danks. I can't remember where I read that though.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 26, 2006 -> 05:59 PM)
I would be very unhappy if we saw anyone other than those 2 in the 5th starter spot much before the trade deadline.

Even if he did significantly better than them in ST, he's still one of the youngest guys up at the AAA level, he hasn't had more than a handful of AAA games, and he's still only had just over a season at AA or above.

I want him to stew in AAA for at least a few months. I'd prefer the full year, and a callup in September if he has a good year. The last thing we want is for him to come up, get blown out a couple times or struggle with something and wind up starting to screw with his mechanics, overthrow the ball, or stop trusting his stuff. If he's dominating and someone offers us something damn useful for Buehrle at the trade deadline, ok, maybe I could live with it, but that's the only way I want to see him.

I mean I completely agree that I would rather see Floyd or Haeger, I'm just saying if Danks drastically outplays them I'd rather go with the kid with the hot hand then have to choose between two pitchers that are struggling and will cause a number a pitchers to test out the #5 spot throughout the season.

QUOTE(kevo880 @ Dec 26, 2006 -> 05:04 PM)
I believe KW has gone on the record and said it's mainly between Floyd, Haeger, and Danks. I can't remember where I read that though.

Predicted order of finish (if that's the case):

1) Charlie Haeger

2) Gavin Floyd

3) John Danks (not that he won't perform well, I just don't think he'll show enough to get the job, or even come close)

QUOTE(kevo880 @ Dec 26, 2006 -> 03:04 PM)
I mean I completely agree that I would rather see Floyd or Haeger, I'm just saying if Danks drastically outplays them I'd rather go with the kid with the hot hand then have to choose between two pitchers that are struggling and will cause a number a pitchers to test out the #5 spot throughout the season.

Even if they're struggling and Danks is lights out, I still want Danks in AAA for the better part of the year. That's all I'm saying. I would rather have those guys struggle in the 5th starter spot and have Danks have another year to grow up than I would have Danks come up early in the year.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 26, 2006 -> 06:07 PM)
Even if they're struggling and Danks is lights out, I still want Danks in AAA for the better part of the year. That's all I'm saying. I would rather have those guys struggle in the 5th starter spot and have Danks have another year to grow up than I would have Danks come up early in the year.

well, agree to disagree

I think Floyd will be filthy in Spring Training and win the spot. Haeger will be okay and get the bullpen role. Danks will start the year in AAA.

The bullpen will be lights out with Jenks (100 mph), Thornton (97), MacDougal (99), Aardsma (96), Sisco (95), Massett (95) and Haeger (65) in long relief/ spot starter.

QUOTE(heirdog @ Dec 26, 2006 -> 05:17 PM)
I think Floyd will be filthy in Spring Training and win the spot. Haeger will be okay and get the bullpen role. Danks will start the year in AAA.

The bullpen will be lights out with Jenks (100 mph), Thornton (97), MacDougal (99), Aardsma (96), Sisco (95), Massett (95) and Haeger (65) in long relief/ spot starter.

That's a best case scenario ... but I hope you're right.