The Mets Discussion Thread

DBAHO

There's a few articles in the N.Y media today about us and the Mets, so I'll post them all in here;

N.Y Daily News;

"The key word is 'impact,'" Minaya said on a conference call yesterday. "How many impact guys were out there in the (free agent) market this year? We have some very good, young prospects with what scouts call high ceilings. When you have those kinds of prospects, you have a chance to get impact guys (in a trade)."

In case you are worried, that doesn't mean Minaya is dealing Pelfrey to the White Sox for Javier Vazquez. His affection for Vazquez is well-known by now, but he doesn't like him that much, and so far, Pelfrey is the one guy White Sox GM Kenny Williams has asked for in discussions regarding the recently traded Freddy Garcia and now Vazquez.

The Mets could use Vazquez, but only if the price comes down.

N.Y Post;

The Mets want to trade for a starter. But the White Sox do not appear ready to move another veteran.

Newsday;

With Jeff Suppan off the board, Mets fans should feel better if the club can sign Jeff Weaver, who like Zito gives you innings and is represented by Scott Boras. Weaver is no Zito, however. As for trade options, to get a Brad Penny, Jon Garland or Dan Haren, the Mets would have to take away from the very stash of young pitchers to which they now point as an asset. And it's not certain the price will drop.

N.Y Times;

They were also unwilling to part with the prospects the Chicago White Sox desired to obtain Freddy García, who wound up going to their divisional rival, the Philadelphia Phillies.

With unattractive options remaining on the free-agent market, Minaya will have to take another look at the Mets’ minor league prospects and decide if he is willing to part with any of them for what he termed “an impact pitcher.”

That label does not appear to apply to pitchers like the Oakland Athletics’ Danny Haren or the White Sox’s Jon Garland or Javier Vázquez, pitchers who have interested the Mets. All are good, solid pitchers and would fit nicely into the front section of their rotation.

But if the Mets consider dealing Lastings Milledge or, less likely, Mike Pelfrey or Philip Humber, Minaya seemed to suggest that they would want someone with a more established pedigree.

“How many impact guys are out there?” Minaya said during a conference call yesterday. “They don’t just become available. To make trades, we could do things. But who are the impact guys? Those impact guys come around once in a while. But that being said, we’ve always been aggressive and proactive in pursuing those guys.

“We have a lot of quality prospects. Scouts use the term ‘high ceiling.’ If you have those kinds of premium prospects, those kinds of impact pitchers become available in trades.”

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think some of you guys have mentioned this but I too would be more than willing to give up one (or more) of our starters and have a mediocre season in 07 and load up on potentially can't miss prospects (I know that's a contradiction) for another run at this thing starting with 08 and beyond. The time is right if we are going to get rid of any number of our starters.

By the sounds of it, seems Minaya is looking more towards Buehrle. "He is looking for someone with a more established pedigree." I would think Buehrle would qualify as that. He is a proven winner. Any chance he'd be willing to part with Pelfrey and Milledge or maybe even Heilman instead of Milledge?

Edited by EvilJester99

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Dec 29, 2006 -> 07:29 AM)
By the sounds of it, seems Minaya is looking more towards Buehrle. "He is looking for someone with a more established pedigree." I would think Buehrle would qualify as that. He is a proven winner. Any chance he'd be willing to part with Pelfrey and Milledge or maybe even Hielmen instead of Milledge?

With the immenent departure of Jermaine Dye after this year, I would like to see a deal done with Pelfry and Milledge, or no deal at all.

Garland and Javy have two years below market value, and MB outside of this past season has been nothing short of amazing. If they want any of them its Pelfrey and Milledge or have fun with Jeff Weaver, Oliver Perez and El Duque.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Dec 29, 2006 -> 07:51 AM)
If we trade another starter, this year will be a bust. So if we do, it had better be for Pelfrey. I don't think the Sox will move any more starters.

I agree with you, I think the only way another starter moves is if the offer is insane.

FWIW, this is not worthy of its own thread yet, ESPN in the morning was saying that the Sox are still interested in Rocco, and if they get him they would use some of the new prospects they got. (There wasn't more than that, so it could just be espnradio rehashing old news)

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Dec 29, 2006 -> 08:19 AM)
I agree with you, I think the only way another starter moves is if the offer is insane.

FWIW, this is not worthy of its own thread yet, ESPN in the morning was saying that the Sox are still interested in Rocco, and if they get him they would use some of the new prospects they got. (There wasn't more than that, so it could just be espnradio rehashing old news)

It was Bruce Levine who reported that if the White Sox want Rocco, they would have to give up Anderson along with two pitching prospects.

Jose Lima To Return To Mets By Broma Grande, Associated Press Writer

SANTIAGO, Dominican Republic - It's Lima time. Soon after the Barry Zito signing was announced, the Mets immediately sprung into action to secure the services of another starting pitcher to complete their starting rotation. They did not have to look too far. Word out of Santiago is that the Mets are going to sign Dominican hurler Jose Lima to a minor league contract. Lima, who has a career record of 89-102 with a 5.26 ERA, was signed last season by the Mets to a minor league deal and was released after going 0-4 with the big club in four starts with a 9.87 ERA.

Hes back, along with his beautiful wife.

joselimawife.jpg

I wouldn't mind seeing one of Contreras, Garland, Buerhle or Vazquez traded for some top prospects from the Mets. Like everyone else said though we would have to walk away with at least 2 top prospects. I'm not worried about having 2 rookies in our rotation in '07 and I don't think we would be throwing away the division. Our starting pitching SUCKED last year and we won 90 games. If the rookies end the season with an ERA from 4.50-5.00 then they are just as good as any of our starters last year. I have a feeling they can do better than that.

I would really like to see Vazquez traded and Buerhle's contract extended with the money freed up.

I would also rather not trade Anderson (give him one more year) then get Rocco. Rocco is good but he is injury prone. I really want to see what Anderson can make out of a second chance.

If the Whitesox trade another starter (Garland, Contreras or Vazquez) and extend Buehrle's contract, they walk away heroes and everyone forgets about the other trades.

I also wonder if Kenny traded low for Garcia to the Phillies to put pressure on the Mets and drive up his other pitchers price.

QUOTE(striker62704 @ Dec 29, 2006 -> 09:12 AM)
I wouldn't mind seeing one of Contreras, Garland, Buerhle or Vazquez traded for some top prospects from the Mets. Like everyone else said though we would have to walk away with at least 2 top prospects. I'm not worried about having 2 rookies in our rotation in '07 and I don't think we would be throwing away the division. Our starting pitching SUCKED last year and we won 90 games. If the rookies end the season with an ERA from 4.50-5.00 then they are just as good as any of our starters last year. I have a feeling they can do better than that.

I would really like to see Vazquez traded and Buerhle's contract extended with the money freed up.

I would also rather not trade Anderson (give him one more year) then get Rocco. Rocco is good but he is injury prone. I really want to see what Anderson can make out of a second chance.

If the Whitesox trade another starter (Garland, Contreras or Vazquez) and extend Buehrle's contract, they walk away heroes and everyone forgets about the other trades.

I also wonder if Kenny traded low for Garcia to the Phillies to put pressure on the Mets and drive up his other pitchers price.

From the average fans perspective, not necessarily the best perspective, the one to move out of the remaining starters least likely to create backlash would be Vazquez. Omar has had a rager for him for a while, and fits the bill. It would also balance out the trade where we sent a pretty good looking prospect to Arizona. If we could get back a Pelfrey for Vaz. Then go for it. Our rotation would be sick and setup for the next 5 years.

QUOTE(striker62704 @ Dec 29, 2006 -> 10:12 AM)

That would be dumb because the Mets wanted Garcia and he would want to drive up the price by getting the best offer possible. He probably did and the Mets didn't budge with Pelfrey and Humber so he went with Gio and Gavin as the next best offer. Also, if he wanted to put the Mets in panic mode, the impact would have been 8 years, $145 to Zito instead of coming to us and trading the above package for a lesser starter (i.e. Vasquez).

Omar is aggressive but he is not stupid either. He came on sports radio here in NY yesterday and said his first and final offer for Zito was a 5 year deal and he wasn't going to the 6 or 7 year range that SF did. The Mets have been burned with the Kazmir trade so he wasn't about to let that happen again.

I think the realistic package for a Vasquez would be Heilman and Milledge and I would pass. We might get one of Heilman or Humber and Milledge for Buerhle but Pelfry looks untouchable unless we give up a Danks or Gio along with Vasquez in return, which again I would pass. I get the feeling that Minaya would only part with Pelfry in a package for guys like Oswalt, Peavy or Halladay...and that ain't happening.

Well, judging from what went on last year in the MLB, no one is going to convince me that trading Buehrle would ruin our chances in 07'. Buehrle wascrap last year, and we still won 90 games. In several years, that gets you in the playoffs, where the Cardinals, with their s***ty rotation, somehow managed to win the World Series.

If he does trade one of our veterans, I want it to be Buehrle. We have Vazquez, Garland, and Contreras under control for 2 more years at a reasonable cost. That gives a solid base to build upon and slide some of the kids in. If you add Pelfrey in a Buehrle deal, you are looking at a future rotation of Denks/Pelfrey/Contreras/Garland/Vazquez in 08', and you could move any of Garland/Vazquez/Contreras in 08' if Gio/Broadway/McCulloch/etc., are ready.

Certainly 07' could be alot better with Mark. But no one is going to convince me that this team cannot win without him. People tend to forget that every one of our starters had an ERA above 4.20 last season, yet we still won 90 games.

QUOTE(S720 @ Dec 29, 2006 -> 08:29 AM)
It was Bruce Levine who reported that if the White Sox want Rocco, they would have to give up Anderson along with two pitching prospects.

Brian Anderson AND TWO pitching prospects? If true, the D-Rays must be insane! Rocco Baldelli is a nice player, but he's been injured and, besides, what's he done in this game to date to merit three players in return? I suppose it also depends on which pitching prospects the D-Rays would take. If the D-Rays will take single and double A guys, maybe, but no way they get two from a group that includes Floyd, Danks, Masset, Haeger, etc. In my opinion, good young pitching is FAR more valuable than a young position player. Personally, I would like to see Anderson get another year to see if he improves. I wouldn't be in a hurry to lose some of the pitching prospects KW acquired to pick up a replacement for Anderson. He had a good second half. The guy just needs some playing time. We got all over Crede and Rowand at one point too before they started to click.