2007 MLB Catch-All Thread

greasywheels121

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You said the same thing about when the Red Sox signed Matt Mantei, Wade Miller (which a one point you called the best signing during the 2004 offseason,) and Willie Harris.

I just hate that expression so much. If I spend $10 on the Mega millions, I could win $100 million!!!! Low risk/high reward.

Just to be fair to you, a google search on Soxtalk turned up on the following players:

Juan Gonzalez in 2005

Tony Batista in 2006

Octavio Dotel in 2006

Bobby Jenks in 2004

Matt Thornton in 2006

Latroy Hawkins for 2007

Luis Terrero for 2007

Randall Simon in 2004

Matt Mantei in 2005

David Riske trade in 2006

David Aardsma trade in 2006

Ryan Meaux and Eduardo Villacus before 2005

Ramon Ortiz before 2005

Bret Boone after his release from the Twins in 2005!

It's a very tired cliche.

Why didn't the Red Sox just spend another $2 million to get Gagne. Somebody who actually was in the closer's role?

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 04:18 PM)
I just hate that expression so much. If I spend $10 on the Mega millions, I could win $100 million!!!!

Actually, interestingly enough, in most of those lotteries it only would take about $70 million or less to buy out the entire lottery, so if there's a $100+ million jackpot (and no one else wins) you could be in good shape. Or if you're looking to launder about $80 million and make the income look legal...there ya go.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 05:36 PM)
The Red Sox continue to stock pile some solid young arms adding Joel Pineiro on a low risk, high reward one year deal worth $4 million dollars.

If by solid young arm you mean a t 28 year old who has been awful since 2004, then yeah, they sure did.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 07:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I still think the Wade Miller signing was a good one, one of the best ones of that offseason, even if it didn't work out as I had expected.

Whats a couple million when you could potentially get a top flight starter

Wade Miller was hurt, sucked, and did nothing for the Red Sox with the exception of letting the Sox beat the crap out of themselves at USCF.

Better signings that offseason: Millwood, AJ Pierzynski (a little more than Wade,) Jermaine Dye (Twice as much as Wade,) Dustin Hermanson, Todd Jones, Derek Lowe, and Pedro Martinez.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 4, 2007 -> 03:41 AM)
Yea, hindsight is 20/20.

At the time of the signing, when I made the comment, it was a damn good signing.

At the time of the Pineiro signing, it looks like garbage, so I think foresight is also 20/20

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jan 4, 2007 -> 03:48 PM)
Yep, looks like garbage to me too. :D

I thought that he was gonna be a damn good starter back in 2003, though.

Everyone did, until he tanked. They apparently are bringing him in to compete for the closer's role. Closer by committee worked out so great for them last time.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 4, 2007 -> 09:54 PM)
Everyone did, until he tanked. They apparently are bringing him in to compete for the closer's role. Closer by committee worked out so great for them last time.

God damn man, they have a guy who is arguably the best closer in the game, and they're trying to put him in the starting rotation? That closer-by-committee crap could be the difference between 90 and 95 wins.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jan 4, 2007 -> 02:30 PM)
God damn man, they have a guy who is arguably the best closer in the game, and they're trying to put him in the starting rotation? That closer-by-committee crap could be the difference between 90 and 95 wins.

So could having a Papelbon in the rotation.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 4, 2007 -> 10:33 PM)

Well, I'll go with the tried and true. Papelbon is/was a legendary closer in the making.

You and Epstein or whatever his name is can speculate all you want. :D

And when it comes time to close out some of those 7-6 slugfests, and they have Julian freaking Tavarez on the mound, Lucy is gonna have some explaining to do.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 4, 2007 -> 04:33 PM)

I dont know. I think this is a guy who is a better closer than an SP. Plus he had shoulder problems at the end of last year, I dont know if I feel comfortable with him carrying even more innings.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 4, 2007 -> 02:40 PM)
I dont know. I think this is a guy who is a better closer than an SP. Plus he had shoulder problems at the end of last year, I dont know if I feel comfortable with him carrying even more innings.

That may well prove to be the case, that he's a better closer than a starting pitcher, but when you do the math, you're looking at a guy who pitches 60 innings versus a guy who pitches 200 innings. If the performance levels are similar, in almost every case, the starter who gives you 200 innings would be more valuable and useful. That's the logic, and it's pretty sound.

The question will be whether or not Papelbon can give a decent performance as a starter. If he comes out and puts up an ERA in the Josh Beckett range, then clearly he isn't fit for the rotation.

As much trouble as Boston has had with their starting rotation the last few years, I'd say its' a reasonable gamble. As the White Sox have proved, it isn't ungodly difficult to find a decent closer if you look in the right places (Shingo, Hermanson, and Jenks all filling that role in 05, the White Sox have probably 5 people who could close in 07, etc.)

And anyway, shoulder problems can crop up from a multitude of things. Some pitchers seem better able to handle short bursts every other day than they do working long amounts every 5th-6th day. Think Smoltz and his surgery issues...he was better off in the bullpen right after the surgery, then moved back to the rotation once he was healthier.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 4, 2007 -> 04:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They were relying on far worse arms. The closer by committee approach would work if you had the talent and depth to do it. This bullpen could be that type of a bullpen.. or it could be similar to the 2003 pen.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 8, 2007 -> 11:30 AM)
They were relying on far worse arms. The closer by committee approach would work if you had the talent and depth to do it. This bullpen could be that type of a bullpen.. or it could be similar to the 2003 pen.

If they had talented arms in the pen, they wouldnt need to close by committee. its hard to see a rainbow in this situation, even if i am you.