Randy Johnson trade

sox-r-us

So for those that hated the Garcia trade, was what Yankees got for RJ better or worse than what we pulled off?

Comparing Freddie to RJ is not the best way of looking at it given the difference in age, type of pitcher etc. But it is better than comparing the package we got for McCarthy. So......thoughts?

One can see why KW and Cashman were not able to get a deal done during the winter meetings. Even though RJ requested this trade, it seems both Cashman and KW have the same agendas- building back up through youth after all these years of trading it away for veterans.

Thats true i think the yankees are starting to think that way.... instead of going out and spending the most and getting every superstar out there and still not winning the WS it seems that they are going to try and develop some players. The yanks suprisingly have a heck of a farm system!

QUOTE(PAUL KONERKO 14 @ Jan 5, 2007 -> 08:59 AM)
The Yanks got a better deal than us, RJ is declining and aging, and can't pitch that good anymore.

I don't think the Yankees really got a better deal. Johnson's stats other than ERA last year were better than Garica's (e.g. WHIP, K, etc.), and they both pitched over 200 hundred innings. Granted, Garica pitched ihalf of his in the Cell. Johnson may be an injury concern with his knee and age, but it's not like Garcia looked 100 percent healthy either. I think for next season they might provode about the same expected performance. It's true that Garcia looked lights-out in his last 5 starts and he's in a salary drive this year, but you can't ignore his lost velocity and pretty lousy peformance for most of 2006.

Anyway, the Yankees paid $2M plus RJ and got a serviceable reliever and three C+ prospects. Floyd and Gonzalez is a pretty comparable package to that

QUOTE(PAUL KONERKO 14 @ Jan 5, 2007 -> 08:59 AM)
The Yanks got a better deal than us, RJ is declining and aging, and can't pitch that good anymore.

You have a pic of Gio is your sig and yet you think the yanks got a better deal?

Please explain why you think that?

Viz wasnt even that good in the weak NL west last year with a 3.58 ERA as a reliever. I expect him to get SHELLED in the AL east to the tune of a 4.50+ ERA. He is also 32 and not getting younger.

Ohlendorf is an old prospect at 25, and really just started to come on this year. He had a 3.29 ERA in AA last year with a pretty good k/walk ratio, but he wasnt regarded as one of their top ten guys.

In fact none of those guys were on their top ten list for this year. Here is a summary from some guys who know their system a little better than i.

Ohlendorf- This is one of the guys that has been talked about for a while. He doesn't throw hard but he gets it across the plate and gets guys out. Has potential to be in the 3rd spot of the rotation, more than likely a 5th spot or relief.

Jackson- I like this guy. He is big and has a good fastball and a real good slider. His problem is he has terrible control. They reworked his mechanics last season and he showed a little improvement. I would have liked to keep him.

Gozalez- He has no future with the Diamondbacks. We already have too many SS. He doesn't poses much of a bat but he can sure defend. I'm not real sure on his potential as a major leaguer because of his bat.

I like our deal better, not to mention we didnt have to send any money, and didnt pick up a player who is due for a raise.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 5, 2007 -> 10:04 AM)
You have a pic of Gio is your sig and yet you think the yanks got a better deal?

Please explain why you think that?

Viz wasnt even that good in the weak NL west last year with a 3.58 ERA as a reliever. I expect him to get SHELLED in the AL east to the tune of a 4.50+ ERA. He is also 32 and not getting younger.

Ohlendorf is an old prospect at 25, and really just started to come on this year. He had a 3.29 ERA in AA last year with a pretty good k/walk ratio, but he wasnt regarded as one of their top ten guys.

In fact none of those guys were on their top ten list for this year. Here is a summary from some guys who know their system a little better than i.

Ohlendorf- This is one of the guys that has been talked about for a while. He doesn't throw hard but he gets it across the plate and gets guys out. Has potential to be in the 3rd spot of the rotation, more than likely a 5th spot or relief.

Jackson- I like this guy. He is big and has a good fastball and a real good slider. His problem is he has terrible control. They reworked his mechanics last season and he showed a little improvement. I would have liked to keep him.

Gozalez- He has no future with the Diamondbacks. We already have too many SS. He doesn't poses much of a bat but he can sure defend. I'm not real sure on his potential as a major leaguer because of his bat.

I like our deal better, not to mention we didnt have to send any money, and didnt pick up a player who is due for a raise.

"Grass is always greener on the other side" kind of mentality!

With Gio back, our minor league is getting stronger. Hopefully, Cooper will do his magic to bring Floyd back to his "Messiah" potential.

I think the White Sox got more talent in return for Garcia than the Yankees did for Johnson.

That said, to me, Johnson has significantly less value to start with than Garcia did. He's more than 10 years older, has 100% less cartiledge in his knees, is coming off major back surgery, actually had a worse season than Garcia last year, and did not show signs of improving like Freddy did at the end of last year. And on top of that, Garcia is signed to an affordable deal, while Johnson's is ridiculous for a guy who put up a 5.00 ERA last year.

If I were the D-Backs, I wouldn't have made that deal talent wise just because of all of the negatives along with Johnson and his status, or at least I would have held out a little for more money, but if it helps them put more fans in their stadium it may balance out for them.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 5, 2007 -> 10:58 AM)
I think the White Sox got more talent in return for Garcia than the Yankees did for Johnson.

That said, to me, Johnson has significantly less value to start with than Garcia did. He's more than 10 years older, has 100% less cartiledge in his knees, is coming off major back surgery, actually had a worse season than Garcia last year, and did not show signs of improving like Freddy did at the end of last year. And on top of that, Garcia is signed to an affordable deal, while Johnson's is ridiculous for a guy who put up a 5.00 ERA last year.

If I were the D-Backs, I wouldn't have made that deal talent wise just because of all of the negatives along with Johnson and his status, or at least I would have held out a little for more money, but if it helps them put more fans in their stadium it may balance out for them.

I think it's been shown that RJ had a worse ERA, but had better stats overall than FG. Also Freddy lost velocity big time on his fastball. RJ has lost some velocity, but not as quick or as much as FG.