MacWorld

bmags

iPhone.

4 gb 499

8 gb 599

cingular only (awful move)

wide screen, touchscreen interface, bluetooth, wifi, 3.5 inch screen...pics coming in just a min as i grab em.

dsc_0182.jpg

pricey-yes. BUt this may be the sexiest phone i've ever seen.

Edited by bmags

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(bmags @ Jan 9, 2007 -> 01:11 PM)
i'm gonna go head and say shenanigans.

Its all over CNBC today...

http://www.cnbc.com/id/16542463

Apple Computer CEO Steve Jobs announced at the company's Macworld conference that it will ship a new product called iPhone with phone capabilities, touch controls and widescreen video.

Apple shares Apple Computer Inc (AAPL) 91.06 5.59 +6.54% NASDAQQuote | Chart | News | Profile | Add to Watchlist[AAPL 91.06 5.59 (+6.54%) ] immediately jumped on the announcement.

CNBC's Jim Goldman reports from Macworld that the new iPhone will run on Apple's OSX operating system and has a touch screen controller, called "multi-touch" that replaces all buttons on the phone's face. The iPhone will sync with the company's iTunes store.

Jobs said Apple is going after Microsoft and Palm with new mobile software "that's at least five years ahead of anything out there."

Jobs boasted that Apple's phone would "reinvent" the telecommunications sector and "leapfrog" past the current generation of hard-to-use smart phones.

"Every once in a while a revolutionary product comes along that changes everything," he said during his keynote address at the annual Macworld Conference and Expo. "It's very fortunate if you can work on just one of these in your career. ... Apple's been very fortunate in that it's introduced a few of these."

Jobs also introduced a $299 device called Apple TV, which is designed to bridge computers and television sets so users can more easily watch their downloaded movies on a big screen. A prototype of the gadget was introduced by Jobs in September when Apple announced it would sell TV shows and movies through its iTunes online store.

The product could be as revolutionary to digital movies as Apple's iPod music player was to digital music. Both devices liberate media from the computer, allowing people to enjoy digital files without being chained to a desktop or laptop.

"It's really, really easy to use," Jobs told the crowd at San Francisco's Moscone Center before demonstrating the system with a video clip of "The Good Shepherd." "It's got the processing horsepower to do the kinds of things we like to do."

Earlier in the presentation, Jobs announced that iTunes has sold more than 2 billion songs, reaching that milestone just 10 months after selling one billion songs, which took three years to accomplish.

That is why there are calling it the Apple Iphone. Basically put Siemens already has a patent on the simple name Iphone and they already sell it (check amazon).

Its nothing like this phone by Apple, just the name is the same. I will admit, this new phone looks amazing. Unfortunately I never buy anything but the free phone I get every 2 years with my contract (Verizon). However, if my company is willing to pay for my phone I'll be all over this in about 8 months.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 9, 2007 -> 11:58 AM)
Supposedly the iphone is only going to be available with Cingular

I'd have to think like most phones, it will eventually be had by pretty much any company (since I can't see Apple wanting to just share the market with a few people).

Take a good look at the Iphone. Now in about a month or maybe 2 you will see a side announcement with a new video Ipod that has all of the same wide screen, touch features that the iphone has. That is what I am waiting for.

I was a bit disappointed. I know that they wanted to really push the iphone and itv. But I was hoping to see more of the next version of OSX Leopard and of the high end Mac Pro's with quad and octal core systems. But as my boss just commented, Apple likes to trickle some of these out to keep a sustained spin going.

The cingular move is the same thing that a lot of cell phone vendors use. The Treo700 series came out on Verizon only. Eventually the exclusive contract runs out and different version of the product run on different plans.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jan 9, 2007 -> 12:25 PM)
Take a good look at the Iphone. Now in about a month or maybe 2 you will see a side announcement with a new video Ipod that has all of the same wide screen, touch features that the iphone has. That is what I am waiting for.

I was a bit disappointed. I know that they wanted to really push the iphone and itv. But I was hoping to see more of the next version of OSX Leopard and of the high end Mac Pro's with quad and octal core systems. But as my boss just commented, Apple likes to trickle some of these out to keep a sustained spin going.

The cingular move is the same thing that a lot of cell phone vendors use. The Treo700 series came out on Verizon only. Eventually the exclusive contract runs out and different version of the product run on different plans.

Apple is much like Honda in that they release a new version and than have plans to slowly add new features. The end result is that you have the same product out for a long period of time, all while every year they make minor improvements and upgrades before finally starting back over.

On the other end you have car companies that roll out brand new stuff more often, but rarely make any changes between years aside from some minor design flaw changes they make pick up on (with the engine, suspension, breaks, etc).

I think its a good ploy because you are consistently making a product better, however, people aren't going to not buy something because they know no major major changes will be made right after they buy the product (although obviously they'll be a bit peeved when a minor change or two gets made).

Apple is flat out a kick butt company and if they ever decided to let other companies produce mac products you may see a real battle with Microsoft (obviously soft would have the advantage with the insane amount of capital they have).

i have to say, the way they describe the touchscreen, i don't think it will have many headaches. Ignores mistouches, allows for multi finger action. I just can't see them putting something out that wasn't completely user friendly, which has been all their products.

in terms of distribution, i think solely working with one other company might make this first wave work a lot better with just cingular.

but, 1% global marketshare...can they do it? I say easily, easily easily.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jan 9, 2007 -> 03:25 PM)

Yeah, I was hoping we'd see something new on the macBook Pros as well, since I'm stuck with my desktop G5 for a while still. Time to replace the creaking Titanium Powerbook though, so I think I'll be ordering up a 17" dual-core laptop this week.

Yay Toys!

Eventually cell phones will do everything but make phone calls.

I had my last phone for 4 years or so. The only reason I have the one I have now is because I threw Brian's phone in the washer and then a few minutes in the dryer and we thought it was history. It started working three days later and instead of returning the phone I decided to use it myself. As far as I am concerned if my current phone is operational, there is no need to go out and get a new one.

QUOTE(bmags @ Jan 9, 2007 -> 03:41 PM)
i have to say, the way they describe the touchscreen, i don't think it will have many headaches. Ignores mistouches, allows for multi finger action. I just can't see them putting something out that wasn't completely user friendly, which has been all their products.

Thats what people say about the smart type in the new small blackberry's but it truly does suck. I have a fully touchscreen TV remote and it kinda blows too. Im just saying, I like having actual buttons to push, which is why alot of Treo's and BB's keep that feature.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jan 10, 2007 -> 10:16 AM)
I am waiting for this technology to move to the IPOD standalone.

I am guessing it will, but this thing is ridiculous, I wouldnt be surprised to see everything of theirs integrated into one device as the standard in the future.

here is the live demo, its long but awesome

http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/j47d52oo/event/

its funny, i remember there was a video about the widescreen, touchscreen ipod on youtube, and then everyone laughed because they just took two black ipods and overlapped the screen. it turns out that it looked exactly like the widescreen phone.

i'm sure that there will be another announcement in time for...is it panther? that will also introduce the new ipods. i have to say, they should be sure they have at least 15 hours of battery life for just music then.

and, i think the reason they only released appleTV and iphone was that it is placing apple in two new medias, while their new OSX and ipods would just be furthuring their own technology.