MacWorld

bmags

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 10:14 AM)
The phone doesnt need this as it is flash based. However one of my geek reverse engineering sites will disassemble this and will have detailed intructions on how to dissemble the new iPhone after they become available.

However on the older IPOD this is not that difficult. You dont need to be skilled with a knife. All it takes is a precision screwdriver and to fit in an turn just a bit, then move around the case. It will pop open in a matter of seconds. The case was in 2 pieces before. So it can be opened. It has a backplate, and a front plate. The front plate has the controller board on it where the drive is mounted with a standard IDE connector, and the back plate has a ribbon cable that connects the IPOD interface to the controller board. You just have to be careful when you swing it open as the ribbon cable is delicate.

Thanks for the elaborate description. I was making a joke. I've opened my iPods before, and it took quite a bit of shimmy work with a knife. They're easy to get open yes, but only for people that know what to expect and what to do once inside.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 09:33 AM)
What exactly needs to be moved etc from one device to the other that a flash card is necessary? Its actually a much less of a technology than what we have here.

ALso there is no hard drive once again, so he wont be cracking open any cases. In fact IPODS most likely will never have a moving hard drive again soon.

DId you watch the video yet?

I'm not saying I'd prefer a flash card because I can move it from device to device (though, potentially that is very nice feature) ... but because I can decide how much space I want to have.

Question though, what kind drives do the newest iPods have? Flash drive or HD?

And I'll refine my statement all together and say that I just wish the phone had removable storage of some sort.

Edited by BobDylan

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Jan 12, 2007 -> 06:46 AM)
I'm not saying I'd prefer a flash card because I can move it from device to device (though, potentially that is very nice feature) ... but because I can decide how much space I want to have.

Question though, what kind drives do the newest iPods have? Flash drive or HD?

And I'll refine my statement all together and say that I just wish the phone had removable storage of some sort.

I guess I do not understand the reasoning behind using a flash card. The storage amount is much more limited than the iphone already has, and im not sure what data you are moving and to where. Obviously the ihpone has the ability to act as a portable hard drive for your computer as many ipods are able, and that woudl suffice for me. The only thing I use a flash card for is a digital camera, and I move my pics onto my laptop anyway so that wouldnt make much sense for me.

Most new ipods will have the flash drives in them, because the HD skips and is not as reliable. I think the larger ipods still have hard drives at this time (though im not sure) but im positive they will move away from that.