Bullpen

Butter Parque

I was thinking about our bullpen after reading the 5 reasons the sox should contend, and if Aardsma and Sisco both make it out of the bullpen, is it possible that the Sox could have one of the hardest throwing bullpen's of all time?

Aardsma- He has a fastball that tops out in the mid 90's, even though for awhile last year he was topping out at 93 mph.

MacDougal- Can get his fastball in the mid to upper 90's.

Jenks- Consistently gets his fastball in the mid to high 90's.

Masset- I don't know much about him, but from what I've heard, he consistently throws in the mid 90's.

Thornton- The lefty with the soft delivery is consistently able to get his fastball in the mid to upper 90's.

Sisco- From when I remember watching him the last couple of seasons, he pretty much gets it in 92 mph-94 mph range.

I know it doesn't mean much, but I think it would be pretty cool to have one of the most powerful bullpen's of all time. At least it should be interesting to watch.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Butter Parque @ Jan 9, 2007 -> 11:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was thinking about our bullpen after reading the 5 reasons the sox should contend, and if Aardsma and Sisco both make it out of the bullpen, is it possible that the Sox could have one of the hardest throwing bullpen's of all time?

Aardsma- He has a fastball that tops out in the mid 90's, even though for awhile last year he was topping out at 93 mph.

MacDougal- Can get his fastball in the mid to upper 90's.

Jenks- Consistently gets his fastball in the mid to high 90's.

Masset- I don't know much about him, but from what I've heard, he consistently throws in the mid 90's.

Thornton- The lefty with the soft delivery is consistently able to get his fastball in the mid to upper 90's.

Sisco- From when I remember watching him the last couple of seasons, he pretty much gets it in 92 mph-94 mph range.

I know it doesn't mean much, but I think it would be pretty cool to have one of the most powerful bullpen's of all time. At least it should be interesting to watch.

I must admit I'm a bit skeptical considering the fact that some of these guys don't have great control and/or are unproven, but if everyone had good control and worked to the best of thier ability, it would be nice. Admittedly, I'm a BIT excited, but overall I'm more of a skeptic about our overall bullpen ATM.

I'm hesitant to even consider "historic" at this point, knowing how inconsistent bullpens can be from year to year.

Especially considering how *historic* the "best starting rotation ever?" was supposed to be last season.

I am just hoping for above average at the time being.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 9, 2007 -> 11:39 PM)
Lets take a look around the Sox very own division.

Twins-Nathan and Rincon. You seem to want "proven commodities" and since your not including guys like Thornton and such, I see no reason to include guys like Reyes or even Crain.

Tigers-The immortal Todd Jones and Jose Mesa. Zumaya and Rodney are far from "proven"

Tribe-Foulke,Hernandez,and Borowski have all proven things. Doesn't mean they are good things....

Royals-Ha

Aside from a team like the Halos, who really has all these "proven commodities" in their bullpens??

I didnt say u had to like any other bullpens did I ? My idea of a proven commodity is any pitcher with a minimum of 2 yrs of decent results though I know Jenks doesnt fit that category I give him extra credit for the postseason results. I'm just saying why pick the bullpen as the one part of the team to feel good about when we have a pretty good hitting team. Its a bunch of young power arms struggling to find a level of consistency in the bigs. If Jenks ,MacD , Thornton and just one other guy has a good season it will be a good bullpen. But thats depending on no regressions ( injuries or pitching wise) from the first 3 I mentioned. By the way I always feel good about the Sox as a whole in the offseason its just when I really start to break things down when u realize what a crapshoot it is .

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jan 10, 2007 -> 01:14 AM)
What makes u feel good about it ? Jenks and MacD are the only 2 proven commodities and one has a history of injuries and the other one has a screw in his elbow.

I like the arms that we have, that simple. It's hard to find consistant middle relievers from year to year, so if you just look by previous years, it's not always going to be the best way to determine future results. All of the guys that are either in the pen or have a shot to make it, have terrific arms.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 10, 2007 -> 08:26 AM)
I like the arms that we have, that simple. It's hard to find consistant middle relievers from year to year, so if you just look by previous years, it's not always going to be the best way to determine future results. All of the guys that are either in the pen or have a shot to make it, have terrific arms.

The bullpen is also pretty deep. Whereas last year our 'depth' consisted of Augustin Montero and Sean Tracey, this year if someone struggles we'll have some solid arms down there. It looks like Masset and Sisco will take the last two spots, so the next two bullpen guys will be Logan and Perez. Perez pwned every level he was at last year, and Logan is a pretty quality 7th/8th option to have, especially considering how young he is.

Being 'proven' doesn't mean s***.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jan 10, 2007 -> 12:42 AM)
99 mph fastballs can be turned in 500 ft HRs just as easy as 89 mph fastballs.

Hanging curve balls and sliders go further much more often then 99 MPH fastballs.

I want a guy that can throw it past someone three times with a man on third and one or nobody out, not someone that "pitches to contact" to get outs. This is why I think the bullpen needs to be stocked with a guy that can come in, in the 5th-9th that can do this. Guys like Eckersly are successful when they start an inning and are not in tough situations.

Throwing strikes is what Cooper seems to be able to get guys to do and if these guys do it, this bullpen is sick.

id rather see some of those guys take a mile or two off there fastball and have better control. Like how thorton learned to not over pitch and was more effective.

i think it will be a lot better than last year.

I also think that no team will want to start a bean ball war, well because that would just be to our advantage.

Edited by GoSox05

Are you guys okay with out bullpen right now? I love the bottom 3 with Jenks, Macdougal and Thorton. However, Aardsma hasn't proven too much, Sisco still needs to figure out Major League hitters AND Massett is extremely unproven.

I would like KW do go out and find a veteran reliever just for security reasons. Do i like the fact that these 6 guys have powered arms? Hell yeah! But that doesn't mean they can't be hit.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Jan 10, 2007 -> 09:37 AM)
Replace Masset with Haeger and you have a sick bullpen AND a spot starter. Imagine facing Haeger's knuckler and then seeing Thornton, MacDougal, or Jenks heat. It will seem like the ball is going 199 mph.

I definitely wouldn't mind Ozzie employing the tactic of a mid count switch if Haeger was on the mound and it was a big out in the game. Bring in one of the gassers.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 10, 2007 -> 12:46 PM)
BTW, Aardsma is my "sleeper" for the season. I think he is going to have a great season for us.

My wifes Uncle is a die hard cub fan and he was extermely pissed about the Aardsma trade. Said the cubs got hosed on that one...and that he has sick stuff and will be a top closer down the road. I know nothing Aardsma, but I'm exctied to see him throw.