Best(non-World Series) and worst all time White Sox moment.

ChiSoxLifer

Right off the top of my head it's the game where Bevington went to bring in a relief pitcher and didn't have anyone warming up.

The white flag trade while only 3 1/2 games out of first place ranks right up there.

Other than the 10/26/2005, my favorite memory is Bo Jackson, after coming back from hip replacement surgery, hitting a game winning, pinch hit home run versus the Mariners to clinch the '93 division.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worst: There's a lot to choose from, but I'll go with having to for a day (I've researched but I can't pinpoint the date) in the Veeck era of the 1970's. He held a rock concert in centerfield, which combined with a rainstorm to destroy the outfield grass. The Sox had to cancel - or maybe forfeit, I'm not sure - the next weekend games, because centerfield was painted sand. I went out there and it was hideously unplayable. I think this was worse than Disco Demolition, because DD was impossible to anticipate, and only an armed militia could have stopped that. The rock concert was just bad planning and an attempt for some easy money, at the expense of baseball.

Best: July 1, 1990, the last anniversary of the opening of old Comiskey Park. Sox beat the Yankees 4-0 without any hits. Hawk screaming "He drops the ball, Leyritz drops the ball" for one of three errors in the inning.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 10, 2007 -> 12:30 PM)
Best: Paulie's slam in game 2. That was such a magical moment.

Worst: Losing that DH to the lowly Kansas City A's in '67. I was 9 years old and it broke my heart.

Someone didn't pay attention to the thread title. :P

Best: Has to be my first Sox game in 94; Frank went deep twice.

Worst: Don't really have a good one, but probably 2003's team not making the playoffs after being in first place during mid-September.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 10, 2007 -> 11:34 AM)
Someone didn't pay attention to the thread title. :P

Best: Has to be my first Sox game in 94; Frank went deep twice.

Worst: Don't really have a good one, but probably 2003's team not making the playoffs after being in first place during mid-September.

Guilty as charged.

Ventura's slam off of Gossage with 2 outs to win it. That was the most insane that I have seen that park, up until the playoffs and series of 05.

The strike was the worst moment for me. That team had so much potential. It marked the end of an era for the strong armed club of the early 90s, we went from being a good team to being crap in a short period of time.

Bests:

Iguchi's grand slam to tie against Houston in June after hitting the 3-run HR a couple innings earlier. (several moments later when they beat us in extra innings was not good)

First game I went to in July 1985 when I was 8, Baines hit a walk-off 3-run HR to beat the Indians. Fireworks.

The best was the 2 day game in 84 when the Sox beat the Brewers the next morning. I was there for all of the innings.

For the worst I second the closing of Old Comiskey. It needed to happen due to the condition of the stadium but it still sucked.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jan 10, 2007 -> 12:24 PM)
Ventura's slam off of Gossage with 2 outs to win it. That was the most insane that I have seen that park, up until the playoffs and series of 05.

Excellent choice. That is my favorite pick as well.

My worst moment I'd have to think about a little bit more. Really I think when Robin signed with the Mets, and Brandon was traded to Texas were my lowest moments.

I can think of 2 off the top of my head from the 2005 season.

Best: The night Crede beat Cleveland with the walk off in late September...Hawk's call put that over the top

Worst:I have a tie for this one, the 1-0 game we lost to Minnesota in late August and the game against Boston where Crede dropped the foul ball and on the next pitch Manny hits a shot to put em up for good.

Two pages in and Jose Paniagua has yet to be mentioned.

As for my favorite moments, I chose these mainly because I was there: Chris Singleton's cycle, Jose Valentin's cycle, the crowd before game 1 against Boston(The crowd at the Cell has never been louder, not even during the WS), game 2 vs. Anaheim with AJP making history and Carlos Lee's walk-off GS against the Cubs(Also my only time ever being in a box).

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

Best/worst of '06

Best: busting a larynx from hurling all sorts of unsavory epithets at Barrett, only to have it followed up by Guch's slam. I almost felt like I hit the damn thing.

Worst: getting taunted by A's fans wearing Frank Thomas masks, as the deflated Sox could not get anything going offensively and were ultimately swept at the colisseum, crushing the last hopes of defending the title.

Since the title of this thread says non-World Series, I would have to say the best White Sox moment would be Harold Baines Sac-File to clinch the division title in 1983. I can still hear Lorn Brown's radio PBP of that moment. Also Bo Jackson's home run after hip replacement surgery, would be right up there.

Worst, we have all seen some bad ones so I can't really think of one.

The funniest moment would be when Steve Lyons dropped his pants.

QUOTE(sf_soxfan @ Jan 10, 2007 -> 04:33 PM)
Best/worst of '06

Best: busting a larynx from hurling all sorts of unsavory epithets at Barrett, only to have it followed up by Guch's slam. I almost felt like I hit the damn thing.

Worst: getting taunted by A's fans wearing Frank Thomas masks, as the deflated Sox could not get anything going offensively and were ultimately swept at the colisseum, crushing the last hopes of defending the title.

Welcome to SoxTalk! :cheers

i have a short life with no one really to tell me what sox history was like before i consciously was cheering on the sox.

I honestly think the best and worst moments I felt in 05, where i finally knew we had a contender, where before it all just felt, well, kinda like the 01 bears. (even in 2000 before i knew what the 01 bears were)

Best: JD's walk off against the angels because i was there, (timo's walkoff basehit was pretty funny too) but prolly being in missouri my freshman year, watching mlbTV thanks to a soxtalk hookup, and having my nails in my face, until joe crede hit that walkoff against the indians. Of course the next two games were scary and gut dropping, but man that was ELATION as a fan, the first real time i felt that before the playoff victories.

Worst: the losing streak in august. I felt like it would all go to hell. and it got WORSE but man, until we faced KC i was scared. And when cleve got to 1.5, i still felt better than during that long losing streak.

also, for best, in 2000 when we went to Yankee stadium and swept them in four, and then swept cleveland, oh man that was great.

That game against Minnesota that Loaiza started while sick which simultaneously cost us the division and him the Cy Young was pretty rough.

Just in 06, the lowest point of the year to my eyes was also against the Twinkies. The game where Dye hit the game tying home run off Nathan, first time he's ever blown a save against us, and then the Sox manage to do nothing for the next few innings and lose in like 12.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 10, 2007 -> 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That game against Minnesota that Loaiza started while sick which simultaneously cost us the division and him the Cy Young was pretty rough.

Even worse was Flash Gordon sitting on the bench by himself in tears.

The Cubs game on the 4th of July back in 2004 was pretty embarrasing on national TV. Buehrle pitches well, but Rusch shut us down. Marte walks in the winning run (which was like the 5th time the Sox walked in a run that year.)

I remember Foulke giving up 6 straight singles to the Mariners to throw away and easy game in 2002.

Also in Seattle, Koch pissed away a game on national TV in 2004.