Best(non-World Series) and worst all time White Sox moment.

ChiSoxLifer

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 10, 2007 -> 03:18 PM)
Two pages in and Jose Paniagua has yet to be mentioned.

As for my favorite moments, I chose these mainly because I was there: Chris Singleton's cycle, Jose Valentin's cycle, the crowd before game 1 against Boston(The crowd at the Cell has never been louder, not even during the WS), game 2 vs. Anaheim with AJP making history and Carlos Lee's walk-off GS against the Cubs(Also my only time ever being in a box).

the thing about paniagua...was that he never blew the game....we were up like 6 and the twins cut it to 2 or 1, and then went on a roll shortly there afterward at the expense of the sox...i believe the next series culminated with valentin dropping the pop foul, which was mentioned....

the july 4th game was terrible, goddamn carl crawford...so were the games when we blew leads to the Royals in the first series of the year....like mendy lopez

the day i was most embarassed to be a sox fan was the mike cameron 4 HR game when he and boone went back to back twice....in the first inning alone....what was the final like 16-0? that was horrid

Best moments: carlos lees walk off slam vs. teh cubs....valentins go ahead against the cubs where he did the sammy kiss, AJ's Hr off dempster last year....Bo Jacksons HR in the 8th in 93 vs. the mariners,

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When McCarthy gave up that game-winning shot in Boston, I knew the season was over for us, in my gut, but worse still was that game where the Indians beat the hell out of us, knocked us officially out of contention this year, and then played "The Night Chicago Died" during a pitching change.

Best moment? So many.

Worst- The entire 1983 playoffs. I've never seen a team look so good during the season and so bad during the playoffs to follow. Our offense couldn't score. We won game one by the score of 2-1 I think, then dropped three in a row. We might have even out hit the Orioles in two of those agmes, but could NOT get a runner across the plate.

Best- Innings 1, 2 and 3 of Game 1 of the 05 playoffs against Boston. At the top of the 4th my buddy looked over at me and said "Dude, we're gonna win the WS".

Best was this year when AJ went deep in Wrigley off of Dumpster. I was at the game listening to Cub fans cry and yell and throw garbage on their field.

Worst was the strike. You have to wonder how much damage was done to the Sox fan base, popularity and player morale when that happened.

However, I had a similar sinking feeling this year as that year. We had the team to win the WS, we just didn't do it.

QUOTE(ChiSoxLifer @ Jan 9, 2007 -> 11:37 PM)
Right off the top of my head it's the game where Bevington went to bring in a relief pitcher and didn't have anyone warming up.

The white flag trade while only 3 1/2 games out of first place ranks right up there.

Other than the 10/26/2005, my favorite memory is Bo Jackson, after coming back from hip replacement surgery, hitting a game winning, pinch hit home run versus the Mariners to clinch the '93 division.

Worse...Angel/Sox game with about a 19-1 outcome in favor of the Angels. In addition I'd say the Jose Paniagua game was quiet the debacle (even though we won).

Best moments...being at the ALCS games in Anaheim (technically non world series) as well as that Dodgers/Sox game where the Sox came back to beat the Dodgers with AJ's walkoff hit.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 01:38 AM)
Worst- The entire 1983 playoffs. I've never seen a team look so good during the season and so bad during the playoffs to follow. Our offense couldn't score. We won game one by the score of 2-1 I think, then dropped three in a row. We might have even out hit the Orioles in two of those agmes, but could NOT get a runner across the plate.

Gotta go with this one as worst also. I can't remember ever feeling so completely "abandoned" by a team that clearly should have won it all that year. Complete choke job. I remember too the next spring training after that year of not really caring at all after that playoff debacle.

Best-gotta show my age here and say in '72 when Dick Allen came off the bench in game 2 of a doubleheader with the Yanks and hit a pinch hit, 2-out, 3-run homer off off Sparky Lyle into a stiff wind to complete the sweep. I was at that game...the place went nuts.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Jan 13, 2007 -> 12:20 PM)
Gotta go with this one as worst also. I can't remember ever feeling so completely "abandoned" by a team that clearly should have won it all that year. Complete choke job. I remember too the next spring training after that year of not really caring at all after that playoff debacle.

Best-gotta show my age here and say in '72 when Dick Allen came off the bench in game 2 of a doubleheader with the Yanks and hit a pinch hit, 2-out, 3-run homer off off Sparky Lyle into a stiff wind to complete the sweep. I was at that game...the place went nuts.

Yep, every game was close and you just had this feeling the bats would explode and they never did.

I'd be shocked if the White Sox hit over .180 in the '83 playoffs.

Worst- The strike. I get so sick to my stomach everytime '94 comes up and some jag goes "everyone knows Montreal was winning it all that year, the Sox had no chance." That's a bunch of crap but regardless of who coulda/woulda/shoulda....That damn strike killed a lot of momentum for the team and the city... a tremdous fan base was building for the Sox, one that with a WS back in 94 and who knows after that may have truely eclipsed the Cubs.

The 83 Playoffs were brutal. MASN has been showing "O's Classics" during this offseason and have replayed Game 4 a few times. Ugh. Its like bashing your head in with a hammer. It certainly can not be good to be screaming at the TV for players to do something different in a game that is 23 years old.. but whatever. It still blows.

Best- Yeah it's cornball but AJ's walkoff against the Dodgers. When he first hit that popup, the whole place deflated and AJ was so pissed he slammed his bat down and broke it while jogging to first. Then the ball goes foul. I was screaming at AJ to put all that anger into his swing. Next pitch....

Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. YES! From then on I felt like it was our year. I'll admit to being nervous while their lead shrunk like McGwires testicles on steroids, but I never waivered. The Crede heroics only further convinced me that there was no stopping them in '05.

El Duque's Third Inning was amazing. Iguchi's 7-RBI in two innings night. The Pablo Ozuna Walkoff versus Oakland.

The World Series inning I most enjoyed, believe it or not, was El Duque's bottom of the ninth against Houston in game three. THAT was scary baseball.

Worst: strike, White Flag, when Magglio Ordonez refused to give me an autograph when I was ten even though it was kid's day and he was my favorite player.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 13, 2007 -> 05:08 PM)
Ya, right around there. Thats why I asked. I don't remember it at all, as I was just getting into Little League.

Seems like most people were talking about events they actually recall.

Well you'll have to excuse me then for having an opinion on something I've read all about in my lifetime.

QUOTE(bmags @ Jan 13, 2007 -> 12:40 PM)
glad we had parallel thinking. I swear when julio ramirez went yard i almost ate my hat.

But were you at the game, dressed in Sox gear with a half dozen of your best buddies (all of whom happen to be Angel fans). :lol:

At one point (once we were down about 10 runs) I started rooting for the Angels just cause I thought it would be hillarious to see how badly we'd lose by (hey a loss is a loss, so in the end if we are gonna get whooped, why not get owned).

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 13, 2007 -> 03:08 PM)
Ya, right around there. Thats why I asked. I don't remember it at all, as I was just getting into Little League.

Seems like most people were talking about events they actually recall.

I remember the strike so vividly. I remember the Sox losing in the playoffs a year earlier (with Black Jack getting lit up by the Blue Jays). That is also probably my first real memory of the White Sox and cheering for them in front of the TV. Even though I know I was a fan of them for a year or two before that (according to my dad and my recollection, but I don't ever remember any games before that).

Than after that year we were off to the races and the strike comes. I vividly remember getting the sports page (my dad would give me the sports page every morning since I was about 6) and on the front page was a little tracker showing how many days the strike had gone for and the estimate of the days that could pass before the season would be over. Each and every day the first thing I'd look at in the morning was that section of the paper to see if the strike had ended. I remember being real dissapointed without baseball (I lived & died with baseball...watching it & playing it daily).

Finally the season was cancelled and I remember being very dissapointed. I also remember my dad coming home one night (later on in the year) telling me that we'd be going to the opening day angel game (its a tradition in our family) real soon as the strike had ended and baseball would start. I remember hearing people saying how they wouldn't follow baseball and as a kid I don't think I knew better, but I did know that all my favorite players and my favorite team was going to play and as a kid thats all that mattered to me.

So I guess the strike was one of my saddest baseball memories, but at the same time the ending was one of my favorite baseball memories.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jan 17, 2007 -> 02:02 AM)
I'm still very fond of the game against the Cubs in '02 in which we were down 8-0 in the 4th and won like 14-11, I think.

It did bring us the most famous bat flip in White Sox history as well as a Kerry Wood meltdown. Outstanding.