Benchin'

GoSox05

Hopefully, Rob Mackowiak is our backup 1b. Any time he plays somewhere other than CF, it makes the White Sox a better team.

Our full bench is Ozuna, Cintron, Mackowiak, Hall, Terrero/Owens/someone else we don't know about yet. That's a 5 man bench. Plus the usual 9 starters, gives 14 people. If we carry the standard 11 man pitching staff, then that takes us to 25.

QUOTE(bjam44 @ Jan 10, 2007 -> 10:36 AM)
Can Toby Hall play 1b?? alot of fomer/older catchers do.

:gosox1: Just a thought

I would think Mackowiak would get most of the backup 1B duties. Konerko would get his days off against righties. Thome, I imagine would only be at 1B in interleague away games against righties.

QUOTE(bigruss22 @ Jan 10, 2007 -> 02:45 PM)
Rogowski! How was his year in charlotte? and if it was good is he ready to contribute at all at the big league level?

Given that we have 2 very good firstbasemen on the roster (PK, Thome) and an array of others who can play the position semi-competently (Mack, others), it would be kind of a waste to take up a roster spot with Rogowski, unless he was capable of putting up Gload-like numbers off the bench (which, as a rookie, he likely would not). Better to use the spot for someone who can competently cover CF every 7th or 10th game for BA.

Mack (corner OF, 3B, 1B), Ozuna (corner OF, PR, IF if necessary), Cintron (SS, 2B), Hall © and Terrero (CF) makes the most sense I think.

QUOTE(bigruss22 @ Jan 10, 2007 -> 02:45 PM)
Rogowski! How was his year in charlotte? and if it was good is he ready to contribute at all at the big league level?

He had a decent year, though nothing special.

.272/.351/.787 13 Hr 76 RBI

At 25, he doesn't seem to be on track to ever reaching the majors other than as an occasional call-up.

Rogowski!!

Met him at spring traing last year (seemed like a really nice guy for what it's worth) and he's the unofficial patron saint of our household.

I think he's blocked this year, but to answer your question he finished last year at Charlotte w/ a 272 avg, 13 hrs, and 26 stolen bases, which is interesting considering he's a big fella...

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 10, 2007 -> 10:26 AM)
Our full bench is Ozuna, Cintron, Mackowiak, Hall, Terrero/Owens/someone else we don't know about yet. That's a 5 man bench. Plus the usual 9 starters, gives 14 people. If we carry the standard 11 man pitching staff, then that takes us to 25.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if we went with 12 pitchers, and kept it with 4 bench guys. With the #5 start up for grabs, I could see it.

QUOTE(bjam44 @ Jan 10, 2007 -> 10:36 AM)
Can Toby Hall play 1b?? alot of fomer/older catchers do.

:gosox1: Just a thought

He's played 2 games there, in '05 with the Rays. They'd have to take a look at him in ST to know for sure. Be nice to know in case of an emergency but I really don't see a match up where you would want both AJ and Hall in the game at the same time. Without another catcher on the roster you would have no options left. Maybe Zoomer can catch?

QUOTE(dwalteroo @ Jan 10, 2007 -> 01:59 PM)
Maybe I'm wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if we went with 12 pitchers, and kept it with 4 bench guys. With the #5 start up for grabs, I could see it.

That leaves us with no backup in CF, which is a situation I just can't imagine KW putting this team in again, given that I think having Mack in CF last year cost us a playoff berth.

And besides, Ozzie uses his bullpen the least in baseball anyway, and that includes 2005 when El Duque kept falling apart in the 5th starter slot. Ozzie lives and dies by his starting rotation, which it's a safe bet he'll do again this year.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 08:47 AM)
That leaves us with no backup in CF, which is a situation I just can't imagine KW putting this team in again, given that I think having Mack in CF last year cost us a playoff berth.

And besides, Ozzie uses his bullpen the least in baseball anyway, and that includes 2005 when El Duque kept falling apart in the 5th starter slot. Ozzie lives and dies by his starting rotation, which it's a safe bet he'll do again this year.

Do u really think the Sox are loading up with all these power arms so Ozzie can ride his starters again ? I'm not saying I disagree with you but I think you'll see Ozzie dipping into the bullpen a bit more than he did the last few years unless the starters kick ass and the bullpen sucks.

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 10:37 PM)
Do u really think the Sox are loading up with all these power arms so Ozzie can ride his starters again ? I'm not saying I disagree with you but I think you'll see Ozzie dipping into the bullpen a bit more than he did the last few years unless the starters kick ass and the bullpen sucks.

That's what he was supposed to do last year. Some managers just live and die by their starters and hardly go to the pen, it's just the way they manage I believe Ozzie is one of these managers.