Best Song Covers

SnB

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 05:32 AM)
Great tune, and probably his best from a studio/technical production standpoint. But I'll take Little Wing as my all time fave. I like the Clapton, Stevie ray, and Sting covers of that one, btw.

That might be my personal favorite from Jimi too. He did an incredible instrumental version of that track with Paul Butterfield at the Cafe A Go Go back in 1968, and it's in soundboard quality. There's also a bootleg titled "Little Wing" with 15 different live & studio variations of that track. Great stuff.

And yeah, I spaced out on the Stevie Ray Vaughan cover. He has a few variations of that track on bootleg, plus an extended live version that he performed in Canada back in 1983. SRV's instrumental versions of "Voodoo Chile" and "3rd Stone From The Sun" are outstanding as well.

Edited by hammerhead johnson

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(bmags @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 12:43 AM)
i would pick voodoo chile.

If true, that would impress me. A 15 minute soulful blues jam with some classic Steve Windwood organ lines to close out Side 1.

Of course, methinks you probably mean "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" and not "Voodoo Chile" - the more recognizable 5 minute thundering sloser to Side 4.

Can't go wrong either way. Both are great tracks.

I'll echo Rex on one..

"Hurt"(NIN) by Johhny Cash

"Overkill"(Men at Work) by Lazlo Bane

"Renegades of Funk"(Afrika Bambaataa) by Rage Against the Machine

About all I can think of sitting here at work, though one of the funniest covers I've heard before was in concert a few years back...

"Cry Me a River"(Justin Timberlake) by lostprophets

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 01:16 AM)
Also love "Hurt" by Johnny Cash.

Oooooo....good one.And the funny thing about it is Rick Ruben didnt even tell Cash that the song was written by NIN because he knew he wouldnt do the song considering his religious beliefs.

Edited by shipps

I am going to make a blanket statement that almost all of the Johnny Cash covers on the American Recordings Cd's are great.

Let me add an obscure cover that I live: Foo Fighters - Baker Street. It is a hard to find b-side of the the My Hero single and they played a lot on Q101 about that time. Great song.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 04:08 PM)
Trent Reznor hated that it was done until he saw the video. Apparently, Trent refuses to listen to his own version now, only wanting to listen to the Johnny Cash version.

Well, not that Trent Reznor didn't feel pain, but Cash had a few more years and lot more pain invested in the song than Reznor did.

That being said, I love the NIN original because it came out at a very down time in my life and it helped me get the anger out....

And if I can add:

Sky High (Jigsaw) - The Vandalias

Anything off Pat Boone's "In a Metal Mood"

Sea of Love (Phil Phillips) - Iggy Pop

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 04:21 PM)
Let me add an obscure cover that I live: Foo Fighters - Baker Street. It is a hard to find b-side of the the My Hero single and they played a lot on Q101 about that time. Great song.

It was a little too close to the original for my tastes.

One of my favorite all-covers CDs is Face To Face's "Standards and Practices".

Standout tracks on it are "Sunny Side Of The Street" (The Pogues), "That's Entertainment" (The Jam) and "Planet Of Sound" (The Pixies).

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 03:17 PM)
Trent Reznor supposedly said something along the lines of Cash topping his own version of Hurt. Something like, "he made the song his own."

Eugh.

Trent Reznor's quoting Paula Abdul?

Ooh, I forgot.

"Summer Breeze" (Seals and Croft) - Type O Negative

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 10:56 PM)
Whitney Houston I Will Always Love You is waaay better than the original. Of course both suck . . . ;)

Not even close. Dolly's version is pure emotion while Whitney's is all schmaltz.

GREAT COVERS

Gin N Juice - by obscure cuddle-core band Sissy Bar

Purple Haze - The Cure

Diamonds and Rust - a Joan Baez song turned into a classic by Judas Priest

Number of the Beast - Zwan acoustically interpreting Iron Maiden

Under My Thumb - Social Distortion

Cathy's Clown - Black Crowes (live show)

Under Pressure - Flaming Lips (live show)

Suspicious Minds - REM (live)

I Feel Free - Foo Fighters doing Cream

18 & Life - Nina Gordon (Skid Row)

Panic - Anthrax (The Smiths)

Romeo & Juliet - Indigo Girls (Dire Straits) better than the original

All Apologies - Sinead O'Connor (Nirvana)

Sweet Child O Mine - Aluminum Group

Goodbye Earl - Me First (Dixie Chicks)

The Pirates That Don't Do Anything - RockPaperScissors (my band doing Veggie Tales)