Windbag Murphy Dumping on the Sox

103 mph screwball

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 12:15 PM)
Basically calling us scrub fans because the Sox are going to sell out and the Sox have a payroll closer to KC and Brewers than the Mets. Anyone have time to call this blow hard and remind him that the Sox have a >100 million dollar payroll and a World Series ring? This crap is nothing less than a smear campaign. Mariotti has a new soulmate.

I don't believe that part is true...anyone have the Sox salary figures added up?

What I would guess/vaguely remember is that the number itself is north of $100 million, but JR is paying in the $95-99 million range (that's how it was last year, and very little has changed this year, what with the raises to players and Freddy leaving).

Basically just nitpicking technicalities, but anyone who says the Sox are rebuilding or cutting payroll are idiots; rather KW is playing risk/reward. If half the starters he has acquired this offseason turn into average MLB starters within 3 years, this offseason has been a huge success.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 02:34 PM)
I love Murphy. He's the ONLY show in town to turn to during the offseason for baseball talk.

I'll just assume your joking, and hope i'm right. Based on this logic, you love Murph and White Sox Weekly, maybe the 2 worst shows in radio history, because they talk baseball 12 months a year. Just because they talk our sport doesn't mean they have a good show.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 05:54 PM)
Please get started. There arent many gm's out there in any sport that has brought 6 championships to a city. So please continue.

I could say with confidence, a lot of it, that YOU, RockRaines of soxtalk, could have won 6 rings if you were handed Mike Jordan and given Scottie Pippen for Olden Polenyce (sp?). Organzations do win Championships on occasion, but not those 6. There is a reason the sleuth was one of the biggest jokes in all of sports his last several years here.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 11:19 PM)
Hmmm, you're not much of a basketball guy, are you Dick? :D

Chandler is at what, 11.5 rebounds per game? He's a potential rebounding champion at the age of 24. His help defense is also bordering on elite.

Worst trade in the history of sports? Good God, man.

To call Chandler's help defense anything more than average is pretty far out there, but overall I agree. Tyson would have been a much better player than Brand had he given a damn about his offensive game and improving his still epically bad hands (he'd have 15 rebounds a game instead of 11.5 if he could catch), so the trade had logic behind it, unlike most Krause moves post 1998.

i'm glad this was a thread, i was driving from home to missouri today and took a break from music for 2 hours, i first heard "all white sox talk" and then it was the dumbest opinions, person after person, that i'd heard in a long time. Since mike north.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 03:10 PM)
Yep, I love him too. I've been listening to him for over 10 years now.

If I was just a little bit dumber, I'd be a Murph basher. :D

I couldn't care less about the fact that he's a Cubs fan, though. I think that you're a meathead if you do, but that's just my opinion.

How can you take Mike Murphy seriously after he said on his show that Ron Artest is a poor defensive player?

'That Ron Artest, I know he had a good night offensively but he doesn't wanna guard ANYONE!' - Mike Murphy

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 11:19 PM)
Hmmm, you're not much of a basketball guy, are you Dick? :D

Chandler is at what, 11.5 rebounds per game? He's a potential rebounding champion at the age of 24. His help defense is also bordering on elite.

Worst trade in the history of sports? Good God, man.

When Brand was 22 he averaged 11.6 rebounds a game. He also can score. The trade made no sense. Chandler is so elite, Paxson couldn't wait to dump him.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 10:09 PM)
Care to be specific?

Are you joking? Toni Kukoc made more money than Scottie did during the title years. He was most definitely underpaid.

A smart GM would know when he has it good. There's plenty of time to suck and rebuild. What the Bulls had was beyond special. He should've done everything he could to keep it going.

That's just my opinion. Krause wanted to do it without Michael. He wanted to do it without Phil. He made a complete fool out of himself.

Pippen made alot of money early in that 7 year contract that he didn't deserve and the Bulls took a risk due to the back surgery, so yes over the length of that contract due to the uncertainty of his career I believe Pippen got the better of the deal. Don't just look at the back end of the contract when many other players made more than him look at the entire contract. The only thing that hit the press was the lower salary figures at the end when the Bulls wouldn't re-negotiate the contract. Besides even if this wassn't the case Pippen signed the long term deal so why should you blame the Bulls?

As for being more specific Jackson went to JR and said he wouldn't be just the coach anymore and wanted total control of the team and Krause's job. JR said no he wanted to keep the GM and coach separate and Phil Jackson threw a hissy fit and said he would leave then. I believe JR's reply was "don't let the door hit you in the rear on the way out"

If Pippen was underpaid, it was his own fault. He signed a contract for some security. You, at least at the time Pippen played for the Bulls, could not renegotiate contracts in the NBA, not that the Bulls would have anyway. The Bulls did Pippen a favor when he left by doing a sign and trade with Houston which gave him millions of dollars more than he could have gotten had he just left. The Bulls got crap back.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 06:20 PM)
I agree.

He built the championships with one plan then when the team got old and his coach tried a powerplay to get his job he tried another plan with youth and failed. He got praised, for good reason, for the first plan which won unheard of championships. He got fired deservedly so for the second one which failed.

What is there to hate? 6 rings or getting fired for failing?

I always found that hugely entertaining. Krause and Reinsdorf help build a team that wins six

world titles. Do they get any respect, any praise for that? No, only hatred and contempt for the

hypothetical future championships that they MIGHT HAVE won if the team had not been broken

up. There is no guarantee that they would've won anything, but it sure feels much better to

hate and be negative, doesn't it?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jan 12, 2007 -> 06:07 AM)
When Brand was 22 he averaged 11.6 rebounds a game. He also can score. The trade made no sense. Chandler is so elite, Paxson couldn't wait to dump him.

Not justifying the deal, but just making sure all the facts are out there; it was also pretty well known that Elton Brand was simply not happy at all in Chicago, and given all the losing it's hard to blame him. It was very, very likely that Brand was going to make absolutely certain that he got out of Chicago when his chance to be a Free Agent came along, which would have left the Bulls holding nothing.

How hard is this for people to understand. Mike Murphy is a cub fan. Think about that for a second, when have you had an objective conversation with a cub fan on the state of the sox. Some people need constant reassurance from the media that everything is ok, that every move is correct. Well that isnt going to happen. The media are people, just like you and I. And that means that everyone is flawed, like you and I. Take everything these douches say with a grain of salt, and remember that its just an opinion from another flawed human being.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 12, 2007 -> 09:45 AM)
To call Chandler's help defense anything more than average is pretty far out there

You must be thinking of his man defense, because he's one hell of a help defender right about now. SGs and SFs are getting their shots altered whenever they penetrate. Show me a 7 footer in this league that is quicker on his feet than Chandler. People are just SLEEPING on the immense defensive potential, as always.

He showed you this when he was with the Bulls, but he's only getting better at it. He just turned 24.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jan 12, 2007 -> 11:58 AM)
How can you take Mike Murphy seriously after he said on his show that Ron Artest is a poor defensive player?

'That Ron Artest, I know he had a good night offensively but he doesn't wanna guard ANYONE!' - Mike Murphy

Murph ain't no NBA guy. :D

I'm just entertained by him, and it's been that way since 1995 or thereabouts.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jan 12, 2007 -> 02:07 PM)

Dick, you said that it was the worst trade in the history of sports.

Defense and rebounding reign supreme in the NBA. That's how you build championship teams. There should be no confusion as to why this is.

While Elton is a all star caliber player, he is an undersized PF that can play a little man defense. The dude ain't even 6'8. His wingspan is average. His feet ain't that quick, and his vertical is decent. He works hard on the glass, but he does not have the potential to lead the NBA in rebounding. Chandler does, and I've been trying to tell people this for years....

They're starting to catch on, though. :D

Well, not really.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 05:47 PM)
What Krause meant: Players by themselves don't win championships. It takes an organization, and the players are a part of that.

And that is 100% correct.

I remember him saying that. I know the ego he has. I completely agree that it takes organizations...but if you remember the bravado in his voice, he was taking ALL the credit. And that is why, no matter how much he had to do with bringing in the team around Jordan and winning 6 champs, I will NEVER respect the MAN. Maybe the man as GM, but not the MAN.

/end rant

My big problem is not that Murphy is a cub fan or that he is annoying. He went out of his way to establish that he does not root against the Sox, then he spewed negative propaganda that would make a 3rd world dictator proud. He's not an idiot. He used his spot on the radio to take a dump on the Sox organization under the guise of "talking White Sox baseball". I would not want the flag ship station of my beloved Sox to be totally biased for the Sox. However, I definitely do not tune in to hear my team unfairly slammed by twisted words. Sox fans that come to this site know the difference between criticism of the team and a verbal attack by a cub fan. I'm not so sure the average Joe would be able to detect the bias that was so blatant to me.

My advice to everyone is not to listen to 670 from 12 to 2 on weekdays. Many of you are way ahead of me on that. I have suspended 670 from my radio, except for White Sox weekly, until I hear Farmer doing Spring Training games or until Murphy moves on to a new position at the Tribune. If his intention was to piss me off, he has succeeded tremendously. If his intention is for me to listen to more of his garbage, he has failed miserably. I will be downloading the Soxtalk podcast as well as other podcasts to fill my desire for talk radio during my daily commute. I won't miss the heavenly bodies commercials. Thanks to Soxtalk for providing me a forum to vent.

If Chandler would have shown half the effort with the Bulls that he is showing this year, things may have been different for him. But rebounding champ or not, at 7-foot, you should be able to score as well. Dunks are not that hard when you tower like that.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Jan 13, 2007 -> 06:47 PM)
But rebounding champ or not, at 7-foot, you should be able to score as well. Dunks are not that hard when you tower like that.

Four straight games with over 10 points. :)

His upside is anywhere from 9 to 13 points per game, I'd say. That will work.

Could you imagine him next to a scoring PF? New Orleans brought in a couple of nice-looking players (projects) in Cedric Simmons and Hilton Armstrong, but they'll need to find a true scoring PF, and that ain't David West.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jan 13, 2007 -> 01:25 PM)
Four straight games with over 10 points. :)

His upside is anywhere from 9 to 13 points per game, I'd say. That will work.

Could you imagine him next to a scoring PF? New Orleans brought in a couple of nice-looking players (projects) in Cedric Simmons and Hilton Armstrong, but they'll need to find a true scoring PF, and that ain't David West.

With his rebounding, he should be shooting 6 to 10 free hrows per game. Even an average shooter would get 6 points from that alone. His career average is just over 6 ppg. HIs best season with the Bulls he averaged 9 ppg. He has either wasted his talent, stole money from the Bulls or is just downright not worth the money. 14 ppg should be a minimum from him. He's making $10m a year for 6 points and 11 rebounds. Boozer has the same amount of rebounds, but 22 ppg. for about $2m more. Dwight howard has doubled Tyson's ppgs and is only in his 3rd year. I thought Tyson had major upside when he was with the Bulls, and just kept waiting for him to 'get it'. If he is getting better now, I guess it took the Bulls telling him he sucks to wake him up. Funny how some of these guys can only wake up when they feel that they have been dissed.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Jan 15, 2007 -> 02:28 AM)
With his rebounding, he should be shooting 6 to 10 free hrows per game. Even an average shooter would get 6 points from that alone. His career average is just over 6 ppg. HIs best season with the Bulls he averaged 9 ppg. He has either wasted his talent, stole money from the Bulls or is just downright not worth the money. 14 ppg should be a minimum from him. He's making $10m a year for 6 points and 11 rebounds. Boozer has the same amount of rebounds, but 22 ppg. for about $2m more. Dwight howard has doubled Tyson's ppgs and is only in his 3rd year. I thought Tyson had major upside when he was with the Bulls, and just kept waiting for him to 'get it'. If he is getting better now, I guess it took the Bulls telling him he sucks to wake him up. Funny how some of these guys can only wake up when they feel that they have been dissed.

Tyson is paid to be a goaltender, though. Nothing more.

And if defense and rebounding reign supreme, then Tyson is one hell of an investment, and then some.

As far as him "getting it", big men take the longest to develop, and he just turned 24 years old in October, so patience is definitely required.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jan 12, 2007 -> 11:58 AM)

I guess most people aren't smart enough to really appreciate the genius of Mike Murphy. :huh