Windbag Murphy Dumping on the Sox

103 mph screwball

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 12:59 PM)
Well i was listening and they said they've been talking lots about the Bears and wanted to take a break. So they start to do Sox talk. Which i was excited about because you dont hear to much this time of year. Than it just turned into a KW hate fest.

Is it wasting time if your at work?

I love how there is so much hate for KW yet he is the only GM in baseball that has brought a Championship to Chicago....Go figure a Cub fan ripping on the Sox anyway.

QUOTE(J-MAN @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 03:03 PM)
Amen! I find myself turning off both talk radio stations more and more lately.

Like most of us I would have liked for Kenny to improve our left field and center field but not at what it woul d take to make it happen.

Those stations have been off for a long time with me.

Believe it or not, there was a time when there was no sportsradio on the air-and bad radio and negativeism was at a low

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 05:17 PM)
And he deserves every ounce of that hate. Don't get me started on that fool.

Please get started. There arent many gm's out there in any sport that has brought 6 championships to a city. So please continue.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 05:54 PM)
Please get started. There arent many gm's out there in any sport that has brought 6 championships to a city. So please continue.

I agree.

He built the championships with one plan then when the team got old and his coach tried a powerplay to get his job he tried another plan with youth and failed. He got praised, for good reason, for the first plan which won unheard of championships. He got fired deservedly so for the second one which failed.

What is there to hate? 6 rings or getting fired for failing?

QUOTE(ptatc @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 04:20 PM)
I agree.

He built the championships with one plan then when the team got old and his coach tried a powerplay to get his job he tried another plan with youth and failed. He got praised, for good reason, for the first plan which won unheard of championships. He got fired deservedly so for the second one which failed.

What is there to hate? 6 rings or getting fired for failing?

I don't care much for basketball in general and agree that Krause's ego is even larger than his gut, but he was correct that organizations win championships. Jordan sure as hell didn't all by himself.

This all boils down to the fact that a great majority of Chicago Sports fans are misinformed and would rather place blame upon certain people than to actually spend the time to learn the truth.

With all the venom for both Jerry's, as well as KW, one would think this is Titletown, U.S.A. or something.

QUOTE(G&T @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 04:20 PM)
I don't have any respect for Murph's opinion, but he is about the only show that talks baseball this time of year.

That said, he did talk to a minor league analyst from BP and his opinions were:

a. That Haeger should be the fifth starter.

b. Even if Floyd wins the fifth spot, he's nothing more that a place holder (barring a Coop miracle).

c. Danks is a top 5 or 10 lefty prospect. Not a top 2 like KW says. (everyone knew that I guess)

He had some other things to say that I can't remember particularly, but I was most surprised by the Haeger comment. I know some people here like him, but this guy liked him a lot.

There are quite a few people out there -- not just crazy SoxTalkers like me -- that believe Haeger can be, and is, the Next Great Knuckler.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 05:17 PM)
And he deserves every ounce of that hate. Don't get me started on that fool.

Jerry Krause had a hand in KW becoming a member of the White Sox organization. It also was his recommondation that got the Hoyt/Guillen trade done. Without Jerry Krause, Guillen most likely would never have been the White Sox manager, and KW most likely would never had been the White Sox GM. So if you look at that, and think KW and Ozzie are the biggest reasons the White Sox won the World Series in 2005, Krause has had a hand in 7 championships. There is no doubt he is not a very social man, and far from good-looking. He handled the media poorly, but no one can take away what he accomplished, and that was a heck of a lot more than any GM in Chicago sports history.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 05:54 PM)

And there's not many gm's who had Michael. I mean it wasn't all MJ, obviously. But that sure did help. And, yes, he deserves credit for putting the pieces around Jordan. I've always given him that much. But he deserves just as much, if not more, of the blame, for one, the dynasty being prematurely broken up, and two, the utter crap the franchise became from '99-'2004.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 07:19 PM)
And there's not many gm's who had Michael. I mean it wasn't all MJ, obviously. But that sure did help. And, yes, he deserves credit for putting the pieces around Jordan. I've always given him that much. But he deserves just as much, if not more, of the blame, for one, the dynasty being prematurely broken up, and two, the utter crap the franchise became from '99-'2004.

Phil Jackson was leaving. JR basically offered Phil a blank check to come back and he refused. Jordan said he wouldn't play for anyone but Jackson. So he retired, and cut a finger on a cigar cutter which would have cost him at least most if not all of the next season. Rodman would never have fit in with anyone but Jackson, and Pippen was given a huge gift by Krause, which he didn't have to do, a sign and trade which netted him millions more than he could have signed for. Blaming Krause for the break-up was the trendy thing to do, but not accurate. The year Jordan retired for the first time, Krause put together a team that was one horrible Hue Hollins call away from making the NBA finals, and that's with the heart and soul of your team walking away a few days before training camp. He obviously made some mistakes later after everyone left, and part of the problem may have been some arrogance on his part, which ironically more than one writer has accused KW of having now that he has won the ultimate prize.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 07:29 PM)
Phil Jackson was leaving. JR basically offered Phil a blank check to come back and he refused. Jordan said he wouldn't play for anyone but Jackson. So he retired, and cut a finger on a cigar cutter which would have cost him at least most if not all of the next season. Rodman would never have fit in with anyone but Jackson, and Pippen was given a huge gift by Krause, which he didn't have to do, a sign and trade which netted him millions more than he could have signed for. Blaming Krause for the break-up was the trendy thing to do, but not accurate. The year Jordan retired for the first time, Krause put together a team that was one horrible Hue Hollins call away from making the NBA finals, and that's with the heart and soul of your team walking away a few days before training camp. He obviously made some mistakes later after everyone left, and part of the problem may have been some arrogance on his part, which ironically more than one writer has accused KW of having now that he has won the ultimate prize.

Jerry Krause said before the last championship season that there's no way in hell Phil Jackson would be the coach after that year. He wanted Tim Floyd. And, if IIRC, Tim Floyd was hired as President of Basketball Operations before Phil had even made his decision. You don't think that would piss a normal person off? Let alone a guy that coached 6 titles? JR offering Phil to come back after that was basically damage control. That way they can say "well, we tried to bring him back, but he declined." It should've never came to that anyway. A gm with a brain would've locked Phil up a long time ago. If Phil's back, more than likely Jordan, Pippen, Rodman, ect are all back. Yes, Jordan did cut his hand or whatever. But I don't think he would've missed an entire season. But that point is moot since MJ wasn't gonna play without Phil. Pippen had been underpaid for years, and he was gonna get his money regardless.

A smart gm, or atleast a gm that didn't have an agenda, would've done ANYTHING and EVERYTHING possible to keep that team together. Period. I believe we had another two championships left with that group. And he did a lot more than just make some mistakes after everyone left. The mistakes he made were the kinda that set franchises back years.

1: Traded Elton Brand for Tyson Chandler.

2: Traded Ron Artest, Brad Miller and Ron Mercer for Jalen Rose

3: Wasted precious lottery picks on bums like Marcus Fizer and Jamal Crawford.

4: Failed miserably to sign even halfway decent free agents to keep the team competitive.

Bulls record from '99 through '03 (Krause's last year): 96-282

That's some historic losing. That overrides anything positive he did, IMO. I'm glad the bum is gone. It's no concidence that we're back to being respectable with him out of the way. Does he even have a job now?

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 07:52 PM)
Jerry Krause said before the last championship season that there's no way in hell Phil Jackson would be the coach after that year. He wanted Tim Floyd. And, if IIRC, Tim Floyd was hired as President of Basketball Operations before Phil had even made his decision. You don't think that would piss a normal person off? Let alone a guy that coached 6 titles? JR offering Phil to come back after that was basically damage control. That way they can say "well, we tried to bring him back, but he declined." It should've never came to that anyway. A gm with a brain would've locked Phil up a long time ago. If Phil's back, more than likely Jordan, Pippen, Rodman, ect are all back. Yes, Jordan did cut his hand or whatever. But I don't think he would've missed an entire season. But that point is moot since MJ wasn't gonna play without Phil. Pippen had been underpaid for years, and he was gonna get his money regardless.

A smart gm, or atleast a gm that didn't have an agenda, would've done ANYTHING and EVERYTHING possible to keep that team together. Period. I believe we had another two championships left with that group. And he did a lot more than just make some mistakes after everyone left. The mistakes he made were the kinda that set franchises back years.

4: Failed miserably to sign even halfway decent free agents to keep the team competitive.

That's some historic losing. That overrides anything positive he did, IMO. I'm glad the bum is gone. It's no concidence that we're back to being respectable with him out of the way. Does he even have a job now?

Phil Jackson was not going to be the coach because he tried a power play with Krause to get to JR and lost. Phil Jackson while a good coach is a crappy human being he divorced his wife and dated the owner of the LA lakers daughter to get the GM fired there. He won that powerplay.

Pippen wasn't underpaid, if fact he was over paid. He signed a long term deal right after back surgery because he wasn't sure how long he could play. The contract was front loaded in case he needed to retire. JR allowed him to do this while advising him against it. It looked like he was underpaid at the end because of the upfront money which was a big risk to the Bulls at the time.

A smart GM knows when his team is getting old and tries to rebuild when he can so you don't go through awful seasons. Krause tried this and did awful and was fired.

No historic losing makes up for 6 championships maybe only one but for that run they had it was remarkable. I don't even like basketball but can appreciate what type of historic team that was.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 09:39 PM)
Phil Jackson was not going to be the coach because he tried a power play with Krause to get to JR and lost. Phil Jackson while a good coach is a crappy human being he divorced his wife and dated the owner of the LA lakers daughter to get the GM fired there. He won that powerplay.

Care to be specific?

Pippen wasn't underpaid, if fact he was over paid. He signed a long term deal right after back surgery because he wasn't sure how long he could play. The contract was front loaded in case he needed to retire. JR allowed him to do this while advising him against it. It looked like he was underpaid at the end because of the upfront money which was a big risk to the Bulls at the time.

Are you joking? Toni Kukoc made more money than Scottie did during the title years. He was most definitely underpaid.

A smart GM knows when his team is getting old and tries to rebuild when he can so you don't go through awful seasons. Krause tried this and did awful and was fired.

A smart GM would know when he has it good. There's plenty of time to suck and rebuild. What the Bulls had was beyond special. He should've done everything he could to keep it going.

No historic losing makes up for 6 championships maybe only one but for that run they had it was remarkable. I don't even like basketball but can appreciate what type of historic team that was.

That's just my opinion. Krause wanted to do it without Michael. He wanted to do it without Phil. He made a complete fool out of himself.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 07:52 PM)

There's no defending the Brand trade. That may have been the most stupid trade in the history of sports. The Bulls wouldn't have been much better with Artest and Miller, at least not enough to win much, and it would have hurt them in the draft. Fizer and Crawford both were drafted in 2000. Take a look at that draft. The entire first round is all bums. He couldn't get people to sign with him because Jordan and his buddies made him bad news. He got played there. He also got burned when Jay Williams wrecked his career. If 4 or 5 years of losing overrides 6 championships, how can you say anything positive about KW who has 1 championship and 5 dissappointments in 6 seasons as a GM? He used to be a scout with the Yankees, he's with someone else now.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jan 12, 2007 -> 04:34 AM)
There's no defending the Brand trade. That may have been the most stupid trade in the history of sports.

Hmmm, you're not much of a basketball guy, are you Dick? :D

Chandler is at what, 11.5 rebounds per game? He's a potential rebounding champion at the age of 24. His help defense is also bordering on elite.

Worst trade in the history of sports? Good God, man.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 11:19 PM)
Hmmm, you're not much of a basketball guy, are you Dick? :D

Chandler is at what, 11.5 rebounds per game? He's a potential rebounding champion at the age of 24. His help defense is also bordering on elite.

Worst trade in the history of sports? Good God, man.

HH loves him some Tyson Chandler.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006