Hussiens half-brother hanged....

NUKE_CLEVELAND

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Jan 15, 2007 -> 01:49 PM)
I just read about that on nbc5.com.

What would cause that to happen?

If they dropped him too far the force created by the combination of his own weight and gravity sometimes is enough to cause that to happen.

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Jan 15, 2007 -> 02:49 PM)

I don't know how big he was, but I remember a year or two ago in FL (I think) some inmate wanted to be hung, but they wouldn't allow it because it would have been cruel and unusual. Apparently, he was so large that he would have been decapatated (sp?). So maybe if this guy was a chunker that could also have resulted in, well, what happened.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 15, 2007 -> 03:17 PM)
Well we can all rest easily. With another deterrent, terrorism has now been wiped from the planet. And yet another martyr was created.

Tell me, do you have to walk around with a bandage over your chest to prevent your heart from bleeding all over your shirts?

In case you forgot these men were responsible for genocide. I suppose you would have let all the Nazi's escape the hangmans noose because killing them would have produced "martyrs".

Spare me.

Edited by NUKE

QUOTE(NUKE @ Jan 15, 2007 -> 04:29 PM)
Tell me, do you have to walk around with a bandage over your chest to prevent your heart from bleeding all over your shirts?

In case you forgot these men were responsible for genocide. I suppose you would have let all the Nazi's escape the hangmans noose because killing them would have produced "martyrs".

Spare me.

I forgot that killing him brings back the victims. They kill, we kill, they kill, we kill. An eye for an eye leaves both sides blind. Funny how we are so quick to embrace the very acts that we went to war to stop.

Nukes world: They torture and kill people, we torture and kill people. Same moral plane.

Tex's world: They torture and kill. We arrest, detain, and imprison for life. Higher moral plane.

It might be too difficult of a concept for some, Revenge killing is much simpler to understand.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 15, 2007 -> 04:44 PM)

I forgot that killing him brings back the victims.

They kill, we kill, they kill, we kill. An eye for an eye leaves both sides blind. Funny how we are so quick to embrace the very acts that we went to war to stop.

Nukes world: They torture and kill people, we torture and kill people. Same moral plane.

Tex's world: They torture and kill. We arrest, detain, and imprison for life. Higher moral plane.

It might be too difficult of a concept for some, Revenge killing is much simpler to understand.

Nice dodge.

I ask again. Using your logic was it wrong to hang all the Nazi's at Nuremburg then?

QUOTE(NUKE @ Jan 15, 2007 -> 04:46 PM)
Nice dodge.

I ask again. Using your logic was it wrong to hang all the Nazi's at Nuremburg then?

Yes. A lifetime in prison would have showed that a civilized society values all human life.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 15, 2007 -> 04:48 PM)
Yes. A lifetime in prison would have showed that a civilized society values all human life.

So you value the lives of society's worst by warehouseing it in solitary confinement for a lifetime? Interesting. By your own logic isin't that cruel and unusual punishment?

Edited by NUKE

QUOTE(NUKE @ Jan 15, 2007 -> 04:51 PM)
So you value human life by warehouseing it in solitary confinement for a lifetime? Interesting. By your own logic isin't that cruel and unusual punishment?

No, it isn't cruel and unusual. Society needs to protect themselves. And what is more unusual than killing someone? There is a difference in denying someone liberty and denying them life itself.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 15, 2007 -> 04:54 PM)
No, it isn't cruel and unusual. Society needs to protect themselves. And what is more unusual than killing someone? There is a difference in denying someone liberty and denying them life itself.

Unusual? We've been executing the scum of the earth since the dawn of man. In the context of history the unusual thing is to have mercy on those who deserve none.

QUOTE(NUKE @ Jan 15, 2007 -> 05:11 PM)
Unusual? We've been executing the scum of the earth since the dawn of man. In the context of history the unusual thing is to have mercy on those who deserve none.

We have been executing innocents since the dawn of time as well. I prefer to be on a higher moral plane than the likes of Hussein, who shared your passion for executions, torture, and homophobia.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 15, 2007 -> 05:35 PM)
We have been executing innocents since the dawn of time as well. I prefer to be on a higher moral plane than the likes of Hussein, who shared your passion for executions, torture, and homophobia.

Equating the murder of defenseless civillians and the executions of criminals and terrorists is a really weak argument.

QUOTE(NUKE @ Jan 15, 2007 -> 05:41 PM)
Equating the murder of defenseless civillians and the executions of criminals and terrorists is a really weak argument.

Killing someone for killing someone places both parties on the same moral ground. Valuing all human life enough to not take it, places the civilized on a higher moral ground.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jan 15, 2007 -> 08:33 PM)
Anybody know if a video of this exists?

Yes. I saw a link but didn't follow it. Now I think it was only a story about it, not the actual execution.

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Jan 15, 2007 -> 01:49 PM)

I know it sounds funny, but there is a very presise technique based on height and weight of the hangee. There is very precise placement of the rope, size of the knot, length of the noose, length of the rope from noose to wooden pole.

Getting these things wrong can result in what you saw here (decapititation) or the neck not breaking and the victim being strangled to death instead.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jan 15, 2007 -> 08:33 PM)
Anybody know if a video of this exists?

Probably not. Journalists were allowed to watch the video only once, without sound. There were half as many people invited to witness and I'm sure they removed all cell phones prior to the hanging this time.

I doubt this video ever comes out.

QUOTE(bmags @ Jan 16, 2007 -> 10:05 AM)
maybe Iraq should switch to the gas chamber, shooting range, etc. This hanging thing just ain't working out.

also, tex is throwin some burn sauce in this thread.

I wish it was someone other than Nuke taking that stand. I respect that he's in a war zone. The thirst for revenge would be high if I learned that something had happened to him, but I believe I would be firm in my leave them in prison to rot view.

Their society created rules and laws and violating those laws resulted in torture and death.

Our society created rules and laws and violating those laws resulted in torture and death.

I just don't see how we are leading by example.

Anyone see the irony in this topic title?

it could be written in arabic about an american captive? Yes. well, actually what i said doesn't entirely work because it says hussein's half brother hanged, but it would work if i also added [insert american captives name] hanged.. ......and there's a bonus! Really covered my bases there.

One thing I've been wondering -- given that a person will die by hanging, is it any more painful to him being decapitated? I don't see how it would be.

Now, it's clearly better that everything's done well, but on the 'cruel & unusual' scale, the cruel bothers me a lot more than the unusual.