Greatest Hits / Live Albums

Texsox

I just caught myself proclaiming that I had never heard a greatest hits LP that was better than the artists best albums. I can think that maybe there have been some Live recordings that surpassed the studio stuff, perhaps Framptom Comes Alive, it certainly sold way more than his recordings to that point. But basically greatest hits cds are record company creations to sell some records and leech the last bit of soul from an act.

Prove me wrong. ;)

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 17, 2007 -> 12:16 AM)
I just caught myself proclaiming that I had never heard a greatest hits LP that was better than the artists best albums. I can think that maybe there have been some Live recordings that surpassed the studio stuff, perhaps Framptom Comes Alive, it certainly sold way more than his recordings to that point. But basically greatest hits cds are record company creations to sell some records and leech the last bit of soul from an act.

Prove me wrong. ;)

You are 99.99% correct I would say. For me the exception that proves the rule is Squeeze' "Singles 45's and Under."

Squeeze was a phenomenal singles band and Difford and Tillbrook were BritPop masters when the stars alligned and the songs clicked. But that chemistry didn't sustain itself over entire albums for even their best releases, unlike Partridge/Moulding or lennon/McCartney.

There. I just proved you wrong. That didn't take long. :D

The Allman Brothers Live at Fillmore East was a great "live" album. Humble Pie's Rockin' The Fillmore was great, too. For me, Spencer Davis Groups Greatest Hits was better than any of their prior albums because their albums contained some filler junk. The same could be said for most groups of that era I guess.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 16, 2007 -> 11:31 PM)
You are 99.99% correct I would say. For me the exception that proves the rule is Squeeze' "Singles 45's and Under."

Squeeze was a phenomenal singles band and Difford and Tillbrook were BritPop masters when the stars alligned and the songs clicked. But that chemistry didn't sustain itself over entire albums for even their best releases, unlike Partridge/Moulding or lennon/McCartney.

There. I just proved you wrong. That didn't take long. :D

Fortunately, like a true politician, I left me an out in my original statement. I have not heard Squeeze's Greatest Hits, therefor, I am still right. ;)

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 17, 2007 -> 05:54 AM)
I have not heard Squeeze's Greatest Hits. . .

You never turned on a radio in college?

Oh, wait, I mean you never cranked up the prehistoric bird with the headphones and microphone that used to pass for radio back in your Flintstone college days?

:P

even though this will probably draw alot of scorn, Blink 182's "The Mark, Tom, and Travis Show" is a pretty damn good live album. Its nothing unique or off the charts, but if you are a fan of the band and dont mind d*ck and fart jokes then its something you would appreciate.

ACDC Live is a good listen too. My dad stole my album from me ;)

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 17, 2007 -> 06:18 AM)
You never turned on a radio in college?

Oh, wait, I mean you never cranked up the prehistoric bird with the headphones and microphone that used to pass for radio back in your Flintstone college days?

:P

Never owned a single or album. Plus IIRC, they were more a middle eighties, I was an early eightees college student.

So far, not a lot of love for Greatest Hits Albums. Now there are some great box sets available . . .

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 17, 2007 -> 06:54 AM)
The one true Greatest Hits I always enjoyed was The Cars'

My vote for worst live show ever. Ever. Ever

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 17, 2007 -> 09:34 AM)
Never owned a single or album. Plus IIRC, they were more a middle eighties, I was an early eightees college student.

Untrue. Squeeze was only musically relevant through 1982 and the "Sweets From A Strangger album." They broke up after that, Difford and Tillbrook did a solid album on their own in 1984 and then the reunion and post-break up forgettable stuff began in 1985.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 17, 2007 -> 09:34 AM)
My vote for worst live show ever. Ever. Ever

I've heard lots of people say the Cars in concert was an incredible snorefest.

I was stoked about seeing "The New Cars" sith my man Todd Rundgren at the helm in place of Ric, but Elliot Easton broke his collarbone in a tour bus accident a few days before they got to my neck of the woods. :crying

The Cars are a group that I didn't appreciate nearly enough when they were around, but a band I've really come to enjoy in time.

The best sublime album ever recorded was their live CD "stand by your van" although it didnt include their last album which was their most successful commercial release, it was the only album that really captured the bands true style.

Also Pearl Jam is absolutely awesome live, and Live on Two Legs may be my fav album of theirs as well.

Might get laughed at, but I don't care. The single greatest live album for me is easily Britny Fox - Long Way To Live. I was never a fan of theirs, but I bought it anyways when I found it for $2.00. I put it on and was amazed at the energy level, the playing, and even more Tommy Paris's voice is incredibly strong. I'm still not a huge fan of their studio stuff, but this one album is amazing.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 17, 2007 -> 08:46 AM)
I've heard lots of people say the Cars in concert was an incredible snorefest.

I was stoked about seeing "The New Cars" sith my man Todd Rundgren at the helm in place of Ric, but Elliot Easton broke his collarbone in a tour bus accident a few days before they got to my neck of the woods. :crying

The Cars are a group that I didn't appreciate nearly enough when they were around, but a band I've really come to enjoy in time.

I appreciate wanting to let your music speak for you, but why go on tour if not to entertain? Someone glued their feet to the floor. They seemed to be trying to reach the same level of perfection a studio album has. Yet, most crowds prefer deviating from the song. Even cheap techniques like inserting for actual town name in lyrics is a guaranteed applause. Toss in an extra riff, anything to make me believe I am seeing a live act. The robot that opened for ELO in the early 80s was more entertaining.

Another great live album I forgot about was J Geils "Full House". And I have to mention what was a personal favorite back in the day, Savoy Brown's "A Step Further", which wasn't a live album but had one studio side and one live side. The live side was the 20 minute "Savoy Brown Boogie"....killer. Then too, there was MC5's "Kick Out The Jams".

irishtroubador.jpg

Talk About Pop (Dublin Radio 11/9/73)

From front to back, this might be the best album that I have ever heard period. It's just Van on his acoustic guitar with no backing band, and his voice has never sounded better.

Wild Children (4:23)

Slim Slow Slider (3:12)

Warm Love (3:20)

Drumshanbo Hustle (3:40)

Autumn Song (4:25)

St. Dominic's Preview (5:53)

Purple Heather (3:49)

Madame George (7:21)

Wild Side of Life (2:18)

I Shall Sing (2:49)

And It Stoned Me To My Soul (3:47)

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jan 17, 2007 -> 08:55 AM)
Stop Making Sense. Talking Heads. Best Live album and concert film ever.

Period. End of disucssion.

(though I am sure the discussion will, in fact, not end)

^

End of discussion again :P