American Idol

retro1983hat

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Jan 17, 2007 -> 09:32 AM)
It might be a bit too early to begin discussions on this guilty pleasure, but the premiere was last night. As far as the bad singers and insults go, it was pretty lame for the most popular show on television. Minnesota singers surely do suck though.

I thought it was pretty fantabulous. King of the Forest? How can you beat that?? "Do you want to keep the poster?"

I can't remember if I felt this way the last couple of seasons, but I was feeling really sorry/embarassed for a lot of those people, more so than usual. The very first audition, the Jewel fan, was so sad. They showed her crying and bawling for like 5 min, even though they usually cut it off after 10-15 seconds.

Other classics:

The Juggler and his tirade

The Voice Teacher and Randy ruining any future interest in his vocal lesson business

The #1 American Idol fan and her stunned look when they didn't like her singing

The Water Guy who just left in the middle of his song and then came back in

The only negative I thought were the 'feel good stories.' Crack-head girl will prolly get pretty far. She seems to fit the mold of some past finalists.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

Seriously though. How many people are going to go on the show to just be on TV as the worst singer ever. Its getting kinda old to see the people who do it intentionally. Like the guy who decided that pretending an alien ship was landing. Come on people, its only funny if you really think you are good. I have a feeling the next episode is going to be stupid as hell.

Being in Theatre, I know some very, very good singers. Not just "broadway" style, but "Pop" too.

Two great singers I know didn't even get to see Randy, Simon, & Paula when they to audition.

You see, you have to get past other judges first that they don't televise. Thos judges are looking for specific types that day and specific stories.

My friends were told they were too good and that the Producers were only looking for "Bad" singers to fill the TV time since they had already seen enough good ones.

Edited by RibbieRubarb

A.I. is full of dirt, no doubt about that one.

BUT:

That bit when Simon was acting disgusted by how Randy was treating the contestant was some of the funniest damn TV I have ever seen. Simon was actually hysterical with his reactions.

Paula is obviously having problems. How many times did she even speak?

I hope Jewel is never on again. Lord was she annoying. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black on most of the contestants.

Tonight looks like it might be a great one.

17 people made it out of Minnesota. Amazing.

Yes, Paula looked more comatosed than usual. She couldn't even hold her head up straight. She might have slurred two words last night.

I have heard you have to go through three rounds of auditions to even get to perform in front of Randy, Pauala and Simon.

Remember, this is NOT a singing audition, it is first and foremost, a REALITY SHOW.

It's also not about who can sing the best, but who they can mold the best. The best bet to survive is to be decent looking, have a decent voice, and willing to do whatever somebody else tells you and not have anything that would really define you as "you". This was destroyed last year by Taylor, and you can bet that it won't happen again.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jan 17, 2007 -> 11:24 AM)
It's also not about who can sing the best, but who they can mold the best. The best bet to survive is to be decent looking, have a decent voice, and willing to do whatever somebody else tells you and not have anything that would really define you as "you". This was destroyed last year by Taylor, and you can bet that it won't happen again.

Anyone else catch the preview for tonight's episode where this odd-looking guy enters the room, and Simon tells him (paraphrasing), "You look like a troll coming out of the forest." I nearly died laughing upon hearing this. It was so cruel it had to be the result of Fox hiring the individual to take the insult. It's instances such as those which reinforce the criteria mentioned within your post. I don't believe he would have been selected even if his voice was amazing.

Two things helping to re-inforce my belief that the entire A.I. staff is made up of ex-high school bullies:

1) The locking of the left door is getting ridiculous.

2) Now they seemingly have started to move the peoples belongings on them when they go into the audition. When Red went looking for his stuff it was more than obvious it had been moved on him on purpose.

I do feel sorry for many of the people that are set-up. The "bush baby" guy tonight and his friend obviously were chosen for no other reason than their looks, and you just know the big guy was tormented through school.

The software guy sent there by his co-workers may have been the worst one yet though. What if that guy was set-up by the people he works with? I don't know...one of these times we'll be reading about a suicide due to this show I have a feeling.

Getting through to Randy, Paula and Simon is a process. Contestants are corralled into an arena and many have to wait 8-10 hours once inside. Most were waiting outside the areana for several hours before that. The send singers in groups of four to a table to be judged by Idol staffers. Each sings and they are told yes or no after all four have gone. That gets them an opportunity to come back a couple of weeks later to sing again for Idol producers.

Two weeks later, the chosen ones again come back and are judged by said producers. If they survive them, then they come back about 2 weeks later to sing for Randy, Paula and Simon. The show edits it to make it look like it is one big audition taking a couple of days, when in fact it is done in three stages over roughly a month.

As was previously mentioned, some good singers don't make it through, for various reasons. One, it is entirely possible that those good singers blew their audition, from nervousness, fatigue or whatever.

The other catch is, they are going to only put so many through and they are looking for a variety. They are looking for originality, personality and talent. But timing is a huge key. If a judge (at any point in the process) sees you and feels like they have already seen 4 or 5 similar singers, your chances aren't as good. With long days, the mood of the judges will have an effect too. If the idiot before you yelled at them and you are okay, but not unique then your chances just went down. The key is to think about the volume of people they have to listen to. There has to be some reason you will stand out or else you will blend in. A show full of nice singers without personality does not good TV make.

I didn't know the exact process, but I figured something had to be done before any contestants reached the judges. Think about the logistics -- 9,000 fans for one day; and even if every audition were two minutes long (which it isn't) Randy/Paula/Simon would have be to working for weeks straight to assess everyone.

It sounds to me like the producers/whomever else are the ones doing the real dirty work. No situation supports this more than how Cowell mysteriously knew that Kenneth (kid who thought Simon labeled him a monkey) and the larger kid were friends. The time seperation between auditons couldn't have been more than a few minutes. How did he figure it out so quick? It appeared to me as if Simon read their supposed friendship off of a paper.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

They're given backgrounds, no doubt. Simon and gang have an "application" in front of them probably, or at the very least a piece of paper with the name and a few bits. You know that Darwin chick and her mom must have had something after their names like "get these two together, it will be friggin' weird!".

I haven't really been watching this season, just flipping between that and something better.

I was really glad they were nice to the big kid in the hawaiian shirt, he obviously had some type of mental retardation. During his audition my sister (who is a special ed teacher) called me and was like, if they're mean to him I'm not watching this show again. Fortunately, they weren't.

And I totally agree with the high school bullies comment. I don't remember the show being this mean, but I just can't sit through an episode anymore.

Of course, last I checked thousands and thousands of people who watch the show and know what can happen, still audition.

I agree about the fat kid, he obviously had something wrong with him.

There was a good article on MSNBC on how the process really works. As for the show losing popularity. Tuesday night was the biggest audience ever for the show, so don't expect too much of a drop off.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Jan 18, 2007 -> 09:24 AM)
Of course, last I checked thousands and thousands of people who watch the show and know what can happen, still audition.

I agree about the fat kid, he obviously had something wrong with him.

There was a good article on MSNBC on how the process really works. As for the show losing popularity. Tuesday night was the biggest audience ever for the show, so don't expect too much of a drop off.

Yeah, I don't see the show tailing off at all for a long time. There's just too much humor and it's real, not written. Sure they poke fun at odd looking people. But thats the odd looking peoples fault for going on national tv. You know you're going to be showcased as a freak. And I don't understand why people get so upset at the judges (Simon in particular). They've all acted the same way for 6 seasons now. You should know what to expect. I find it incredible some of these people actually think they sound good. I'm not talking about some who can carry a not but don't sing well. I'm talking about the people that are totally tone deaf and have no timing/rhythm.

The show is entertaining, and these people know what they are getting into when they audition.

OBVIOUSLY, the singer's who think they are great that don't get through is hilarious. Like the kid who sang the FUEL song, and Simon told to go learn an ABBA song. He comes back and sings "Dancing Queen" in the same raspy voice, when all they wanted to hear was something A TAD different and they would have let him in. The he sings Manilow in the SAME RASPY voice. He just didn't get it, but it was damned funny.

That hairy guy who sang the Blues, Sundance Head, might just be the best voice I have heard on that dang show yet. Nobody else comes close to the sheer power and strength he has. That was the first time watching the show I actually sat up in my chair and my jaw hit the floor. Hopefully he is out towards the middle so he can get to work on his album.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Jan 24, 2007 -> 11:29 AM)
Last night's epsidoe was from Memphis. No real freaks or great singers other than the big hairy guy who sang the blues. The next two episodes are in New York and LA. That should bring out the crazies.

Strange thing is, after the auditions, they were reporting that Memphis had one of the strongest groups ever on Idol. Me thinks with the show only being an hour last night, they cut out some pretty good singers.

And am I the only one that thought the very first guy of the night was good enough to go to Hollywood? I think he sung Heard it Through the Grapevine. The judges said he was over the top.

Edited by Rex Hudler

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jan 24, 2007 -> 06:38 PM)
And am I the only one that thought the very first guy of the night was good enough to go to Hollywood? I think he sung Heard it Through the Grapevine. The judges said he was over the top.

Nope, I agree with you. I have heard a couple that were not all that bad but they passed on.

Last night was in Birmingham. Another round of bad singers and losers. Although Paula couldn't sit still. Then surprise, for day two, she had a "family commitment."

Let's get on to the Hollywood rounds. This is the third week of these morons. Usually that's the end of the inane auditions, but there is yet another week next week.