American Idol

retro1983hat

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jan 31, 2007 -> 03:05 PM)
Pretty good episode of House. Wilson is cool.

Ya, in fact it was a really good episode. House has to be one of the best shows on all of TV. Not only do you have interesting (albeit unrealistic) medical mysteries but you have the mysterious person (its is like two seperate drama's in one, plus dark humor.

I always wonder how unrealistic the show is. My wife is a nurse, and she will scoff at it from time to time, but they throw enough twists and turns in it to keep her in love with the show. Plus, they usually will twist it in a way so that just when she wants to scream BS at it, they give you something to go "oh...O.K.".

As far as drama (and dark twisted humor) goes, it is bar far the best thing on TV. The only drama I even consider watching.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jan 31, 2007 -> 03:09 PM)
I always wonder how unrealistic the show is. My wife is a nurse, and she will scoff at it from time to time, but they throw enough twists and turns in it to keep her in love with the show. Plus, they usually will twist it in a way so that just when she wants to scream BS at it, they give you something to go "oh...O.K.".

As far as drama (and dark twisted humor) goes, it is bar far the best thing on TV. The only drama I even consider watching.

Ya, my best friend and former step bro's mom is a nurse and she will sit there and go why don't they order this and why don't they do that and than literaly 5 minutes later they'll order the test. I think they do a decent job, but at times they play it out. But hell I'm not a doctor or a nurse so I could care less :lol:

And if I'm in the hospital for something (hopefully i'm not there and if I am it is for something minor) than I'm demanding to see house.

Hey, how the hell did this become a HOUSE thread?? Consider yourselves slapped in the hand!

I thought last night's Birmingham episode was solid. They didn't show a lot of great talent, but there were some interesting people. The one thing I liked is that with the exception of the last idiot/girl, none of the other ones that really sucked were actually from Birmingham. They could have paraded out a bunch of crappy and made Birmingham look bad, as is often done in the media.

But overall, its hard to say how it was, because we probably only saw 6-8 of the 20 that got the golden ticket. I really wish they would show more of the good singers and allow the fans to get to know them a bit before they start to vote on them. Last year there were a couple of the final 24 that didn't have any TV time before that point.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jan 31, 2007 -> 11:16 PM)
Hey, how the hell did this become a HOUSE thread?? Consider yourselves slapped in the hand!

I thought last night's Birmingham episode was solid. They didn't show a lot of great talent, but there were some interesting people. The one thing I liked is that with the exception of the last idiot/girl, none of the other ones that really sucked were actually from Birmingham. They could have paraded out a bunch of crappy and made Birmingham look bad, as is often done in the media.

But overall, its hard to say how it was, because we probably only saw 6-8 of the 20 that got the golden ticket. I really wish they would show more of the good singers and allow the fans to get to know them a bit before they start to vote on them. Last year there were a couple of the final 24 that didn't have any TV time before that point.

OK, I'm going to thread hijack for one second. What's the reaction of the MTV show in town? Do people feel the town comes off looking bad or are they happy the football team is getting props on a national level?

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jan 31, 2007 -> 05:09 PM)

lol, sorry, second thread hijack post in a row!! I know as an attorney, legal shows can drive me nuts sometimes with technical stuff, so I imagine it's same with MDs and RNs for medical shows....

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Feb 1, 2007 -> 08:20 AM)
OK, I'm going to thread hijack for one second. What's the reaction of the MTV show in town? Do people feel the town comes off looking bad or are they happy the football team is getting props on a national level?

lol, sorry, second thread hijack post in a row!! I know as an attorney, legal shows can drive me nuts sometimes with technical stuff, so I imagine it's same with MDs and RNs for medical shows....

I'll hijack the thread once more!

SoxFan, what area do you practice in? Any need for a law clerk? 2L, graduate in December here!

OK, back on topic. I thought last night's in LA was pretty good, however, Ryan Dorkcrest said 40 people made it out of the LA round to go to Hollywood. LAst night, they only showed 3 of the people who made it through. I am ready for the freakshow to end and the Hollywood rounds to start.

1 more freakshow, and then the Hollywood rounds. I see the try-outs as the comedy episodes, the Hollywood ones are the drama episodes, and the performance ones are the actual music aspect, with the most godawful car commercials ever made. Those damn videos they do make me lose any respect I might have for any of the contestants.

Tonight finally ends the audition portion of the show.

I do laugh at everyone that tries to go through the wrong door. I don't know why, it's so dumb, but I crack up anyways.

I liked the guy who was told no and then said he is going to make a big scene for the cameras and started yelling at the judges.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Feb 7, 2007 -> 10:22 AM)
Tonight finally ends the audition portion of the show.

I do laugh at everyone that tries to go through the wrong door. I don't know why, it's so dumb, but I crack up anyways.

I liked the guy who was told no and then said he is going to make a big scene for the cameras and started yelling at the judges.

YOu mean the guy who didn't get tough until after he left the room, then he started yelling like a badass?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 7, 2007 -> 11:33 AM)
YOu mean the guy who didn't get tough until after he left the room, then he started yelling like a badass?

Yeah, but he told the judges he was going to do it. I thought he was funny. I liked him. And I liked his Cousin. And the mini-Rueben.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 7, 2007 -> 10:33 AM)

Yeah, but he told the judges he was going to do it, and was obviously just having fun with it all. He knew he wasn't going to make it, saying he was more into Hip Hop anyways, and was there for his cousin. His cousin then went in and did good, but Simon thought he lacked personality, and the guy went again and turned REAL good.

Nice to see that guy, and the last guy, doing Sam Cooke! Though the last guy said he was going to do "Cupid", but instead did a strange medly of "Another Saturday Night" and "Cupid", but it sounded really good. My daughter, who is a HUGE Cooke fan, was in love.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Feb 7, 2007 -> 04:49 PM)
Yeah, but he told the judges he was going to do it. I thought he was funny. I liked him. And I liked his Cousin. And the mini-Rueben.

The dude's cousin, from Dallas, got cut from the show with "no explanation"... funny how that wasn't mentioned!

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Feb 8, 2007 -> 10:28 AM)
The dude's cousin, from Dallas, got cut from the show with "no explanation"... funny how that wasn't mentioned!

I thought his cousin was the boring guy after him that ended up making it to Hollywood? Or did he get dropped from Hollywood?

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Feb 8, 2007 -> 11:32 AM)
Are you kidding me??? Good cripes that show has its head up its butt.

Good thing nobody in music ever uses any form of drug. It's such a clean profession.

It's not the pot bust. Bo Bice had it revealed that he had a prior arrest for drugs about 2/3 the way through the finals, but nothing became of it because he was up front with the Idol people and they knew it.

I don't know the details of this situation, but the general rule is if you admit to it up front in the million questions Idol asks, then they will stand behind you later. Granted, if this guy got busted for selling or major felony possession, that might be enough to get him the boot now.

I stumbled upon American Idol: Rewind tonight. For those that don't know, it is a syndicated look back at Season One.

I never saw the first season, so this is interesting to me. They are down to the final 30, whittling down to the finals. It's amazing to see how far the show has gone. The final 30 was done in a small studio with a tiny stage and no audience.

Another thing that I found interesting is how good Paula Abdul looked in Season One. She has seriously aged in the past 5 years.

The last thing is that Kelly Clarkson, barely made the final 30. When they were deliberating to get it to 30, she was placed in the "maybe" group and not included in the judges 15 "definites".

edit: Does anyone know the story about how/why Brian Dunkleman didn't come back for Season Two?

Edited by Rex Hudler