American Idol

retro1983hat

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 11:40 AM)
This is about the week that AI pulls the "shocker" of sending someone home that was going to be in the top three. I wonder who it is this time?

Yeah, in the next week or two, this is time for that. The thing is that it is always a black female as well. I could see them drumming LaKisha in keeping that "tradition" alive.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 12:29 PM)
Yeah, in the next week or two, this is time for that. The thing is that it is always a black female as well. I could see them drumming LaKisha in keeping that "tradition" alive.

But it's also, IMO, because LaKisha just doesn't seem all that likeable. She'll have a fine career, no doubt though, and I guess she does deserve success. But she just doesn't have any real "charm", or not that the producers are letting be known.

Haley appears to be doing the "sex sells" stuff full tilt now.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 10:59 AM)
Haley appears to be doing the "sex sells" stuff full tilt now.

And I am a buyer. I thought she sang pretty well last night, and then she got very little reaction from the judges. Maybe I'm in love.

Edited by Middle Buffalo

I wanted Gina to stay. Third week in a row the wrong contestant went home.

Sanjaya is in no danger until the final 4 at least.

Haley is hot and apparently wasn't offended by Simon's comments about her legs because she came out with a shorter outfit than the day before.

Edited by retro1983hat

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Apr 5, 2007 -> 01:15 PM)
Man, you are wired into this stuff!!

As surprising as it might seem, this is actually the first season ive followed. Ive seen episodes and past winners, but never followed it until this season, so ive gotten more into it that ive expected. Also I have more than normal amount of downtime at work so Ive been following it pretty religously thru another message board. I dont know if people here like spoilers thats why I havent been posting too much about it. I usually get the song choices for each person monday afternoon or tuesday during the day.

If anyones interested in the next couple of themes, here they are...

April 10th (top 8) Theme - Latin Song's, Jennifer Lopez.

April 17th (top 7) Theme - Country Song's, Martina McBride

*uncomfirmed theme* April 24th (top 6) Theme - inspirational songs, idol gives back week

May 2nd (top 5) Theme - Current Billboard hits, Bon Jovi

Edited by WhiteSoxFan1

QUOTE(WhiteSoxFan1 @ Apr 5, 2007 -> 10:13 AM)
As surprising as it might seem, this is actually the first season ive followed. Ive seen episodes and past winners, but never followed it until this season, so ive gotten more into it that ive expected. Also I have more than normal amount of downtime at work so Ive been following it pretty religously thru another message board. I dont know if people here like spoilers thats why I havent been posting too much about it. I usually get the song choices for each person monday afternoon or tuesday during the day.

If anyones interested in the next couple of themes, here they are...

April 10th (top 8) Theme - Latin Song's, Jennifer Lopez.

April 17th (top 7) Theme - Country Song's, Martina McBride

*uncomfirmed theme* April 24th (top 6) Theme - inspirational songs, idol gives back week

May 2nd (top 5) Theme - Current Billboard hits, Bon Jovi

Too bad Gina couldn't make it to Bon Jovi week. Latin songs, hmm should be interesting.

WOW! I am going to choose to skip the rest of the show it looks like, as the music choices absolutely BLOW! Jennifer Lopez!?! Somebody just shoot me right now.

Country week, eh? How do you think LaKisha and Melinda will squeeze in their R&B stuff? Anybody know if Aretha ever did a "country-ish" tune?

perfect article on sanjaya.

“It’s all about communication with the public you know. There’s something in human nature that makes people gravitate to someone who’s good-looking — it’s nature, for goodness sake.”

He attributes Sanjaya’s looks as a factor in his success so far, especially with the young girls who turn out in droves to vote for him every week.

Warwick believes that Sanjaya can make it into the top five, but doesn’t personally see him going all the way to the end. He reminds everyone, though, “anything can happen.”

As for Simon Cowell’s infamous statement that he’ll leave the show if Sanjaya wins? “Rubbish,” says Warwick.

“America normally gets it right in the end. I don’t think — I’m pretty positive that Sanjaya will not be the “American Idol” this year.” He says that Simon only made that remark as a “press point” anyway, adding, “Simon’s not going anywhere, don’t worry.”

Talk turned to the various “initiatives” that have reportedly been set up to encourage viewers to vote or not vote for Sanjaya, including Howard Stern’s very vocal support of Sanjaya on his radio show, and whether those influences could actually have an affect on voting if implemented. Warwick answers with a definitive “no.”

“There is very little hype anybody can do with the vast number of votes that we get. I think that if every single person that listens to Howard Stern voted, it would still ... you know, the gap above and below Sanjaya is so big, that it wouldn’t affect the outcome at all.”

So what is the bottom line when it comes to Sanjaya’s appeal?

Warwick sums it up: “Say what you like about Sanjaya. He doesn’t actually have a bad voice, and he changes things up week after week, he’s always a talking point the next day, he changes his hair ... he’s a good-looking kid, and young girls love young, good-looking kids. He’s not the ‘bad singer’ that everybody’s making him out to be, and the judges said that last week. You know as well as I do that part of this business is your communication with the audience — and he’s certainly got that.”

Only time will tell how Sanjaya measures up as the competition becomes more heated, and the challenges more difficult. He and the other contestants will tackle Latino music with Jennifer Lopez and rock songs with Bon Jovi in coming weeks.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17949198/

I personally vote for sanjaya because im a "fan", but admittingly I have disliked 3 his performances of "cheek to cheek", "stepping out with my baby", and "you really got me", but at the same time...I legitamitly have really liked his performances of "bathwater", "aint no mountain high enough", and "waiting on the world to change." I personally would preview his cd before buying it, but if he went for the catchy, pop type of song genre, I could see myself being a fan of his music.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 5, 2007 -> 04:06 PM)
WOW! I am going to choose to skip the rest of the show it looks like, as the music choices absolutely BLOW! Jennifer Lopez!?! Somebody just shoot me right now.

Country week, eh? How do you think LaKisha and Melinda will squeeze in their R&B stuff? Anybody know if Aretha ever did a "country-ish" tune?

I don't think they need to squeeze any R & B into their country songs...they will probably pick a gospel-ish country song and belt it out. It's been that way for a few years on AI now. Though i still remember Fantasia singing "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" during country week. i still remember thinking WTF!!!!

Gina's exit interview from mtv

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/155...405/id_0.jhtml

Q: Was it tough to see Sanjaya place higher than you?

A: It's tough that all the other eight people did — it's not just Sanjaya. He's just different. It's not that he's better or worse — he's Sanjaya. And Jordin's Jordin, and Blake is Blake. America was through with me, and I'm fine with it. I'm going on tour!

Q: Are there any bad feelings among the other "Idol" contestants about Sanjaya?

A: I'm friends with Sanjaya, so they know that if they're going to badmouth him, they shouldn't do it in front of me.

Q: What is Sanjaya like?

A: He's exactly what you see on TV. He doesn't care what anyone thinks, he does his thing, and he's proud of himself. And I love that self-confidence.

Im gonna post this weekend story, but after this, atelast for today and tomorrow afternoon im going to try and give it a rest on this sanjaya thing. I like the dude's music, but too many people are overexagerating it, into a homo way. (not really here, but family, friends and another message baord) :bang

I bought a "Vote for sanjaya" shirts for 9 bucks. Well actually brought a tshirt and had it printed on. Later that night me and my cousin went to see blades of glory, but spent the first hour at woodfield mall. HOLYCRAP does it bring out a crowd. My cousin said it made him feel like I was a celebrity. I literally had 4 conversations with strangers in the hour I was there. Asking me about the show and sanjaya, and if I think he'll win and stuff. I must have had at the very least 5 "go sanjaya's", a handful of eyeroll's and headshakes, a whole bunch of "did you see his shirt" whispers to their buddies , and another handful asking where I got it. It was seriously strange as hell. I didnt expect that many people to awknowlage it.

My conversations were actually with 3 females and 1 dude. None of them were 13 year old tennyboppers either. They were all over the age of 18, and all of them said they like him as well, but only 1 of them actually voted.

Edited by WhiteSoxFan1

QUOTE(WhiteSoxFan1 @ Apr 9, 2007 -> 10:16 AM)
Im gonna post this weekend story, but after this, atelast for today and tomorrow afternoon im going to try and give it a rest on this sanjaya thing. I like the dude's music, but too many people are overexagerating it, into a homo way. (not really here, but family, friends and another message baord) :bang

I bought a "Vote for sanjaya" shirts for 9 bucks. Well actually brought a tshirt and had it printed on. Later that night me and my cousin went to see blades of glory, but spent the first hour at woodfield mall. HOLYCRAP does it bring out a crowd. My cousin said it made him feel like I was a celebrity. I literally had 4 conversations with strangers in the hour I was there. Asking me about the show and sanjaya, and if I think he'll win and stuff. I must have had at the very least 5 "go sanjaya's", a handful of eyeroll's and headshakes, a whole bunch of "did you see his shirt" whispers to their buddies , and another handful asking where I got it. It was seriously strange as hell. I didnt expect that many people to awknowlage it.

My conversations were actually with 3 females and 1 dude. None of them were 13 year old tennyboppers either. They were all over the age of 18, and all of them said they like him as well, but only 1 of them actually voted.

So honestly, of all the singers left, you feel Sanjaya is the best and deserves to win over everyone else?

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Apr 9, 2007 -> 03:26 PM)
So honestly, of all the singers left, you feel Sanjaya is the best and deserves to win over everyone else?

Well I know I said ill quit on the sanjaya stuff, but If I get asked ill answer....

I dont think hes the best pure singer left at all, and I dont know if he deserves to win or not, but reguardless I do like his singing. I mean with this idol thing as im learning each person really has a fanbase whether they are the best or not and if they have a good or bad week they are still going to stick with them. Im a sucker for catchy chorus's which is why my favorites by him are 'Bathwater', 'you really got me' and 'waiting on the world' as opposed to some of his other choices of songs.

I respect singers who can hit the high notes and can do the olympic voice thing and hit certain level's, but with sanjaya its more of a fandom thing. Ive liked a few of his performances, became a fan and thats really all I can say. He's Catchy, in rhytem and soothing. Does he deserve to win? Again I dont know. If its based on pure vocal ability like its supose to be, then no way, but in this day and age you have to be an entertainer as well. And in this season Sanjaya has really stuck out. Whether its something corny like changing of the hair each week or his charming personality he just gives you a good underdog story despite all the negitive controvery.