USA Today

aboz56

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 01:22 AM)
The writer did his homework, not a bad piece. Nothing that we didn't know, but a nice piece.

He says Ryan Sweeney has a 'short right-handed stroke'. Must have missed a class.

The White Sox say patience is the key with Anderson, just as it has been with many prospects who have turned into solid players.

"What if we had given up on Joe Crede?" Williams says, referring to the team's third baseman who struggled for several years before putting together a terrific season last year.

[crickets]

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 02:44 PM)
For every one "Joe Crede" there are ten "Scott Ruffcorns"

I dont know...they were pretty patient with not only Crede, but Rowand and Garland as well. I guess its pretty much a 50-50 chance Anderson will make it in this league. IMO Anderson will be one of the X-factors in 2007..if he breaks out, this team can be really good. The other important X-factor will be that 5th starting spot, will Floyd come through? If not is Danks, Gio, or Haegar ready? 2007 should be interesting none the less.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 06:44 AM)
For every one "Joe Crede" there are ten "Scott Ruffcorns"

Yeah.

Jon Rauch

Jason Grilli

Gary Majewski

Kip Wells

Keith Foulke

Bobby Howry

Scott Eyre

All of them washed up former White Sox prospects, and, while I'm too lazy to look, I'm just going to assume that none of them are in the big leagues any more.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 10:33 AM)
Yeah.

Jon Rauch

Jason Grilli

Gary Majewski

Kip Wells

Keith Foulke

Bobby Howry

Scott Eyre

All of them washed up former White Sox prospects, and, while I'm too lazy to look, I'm just going to assume that none of them are in the big leagues any more.

Interesting to note, all of those players were pitchers. The Sox big success when it comes to producing major leaguers is position players.

Yeah.

Jon Rauch

Jason Grilli

Gary Majewski

Kip Wells

Keith Foulke

Bobby Howry

Scott Eyre

you can't complain about what foulke or howry ended up giving us though

Yeah.

Jon Rauch

Jason Grilli

Gary Majewski

Kip Wells

Keith Foulke

Bobby Howry

Scott Eyre

Actually they are all still in MLB, maybe not Grilli though. Just because they didn't flourish here, doesn't mean they didn't become productiv somewhere else.

QUOTE(dmbjeff @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 08:59 AM)
Actually they are all still in MLB, maybe not Grilli though. Just because they didn't flourish here, doesn't mean they didn't become productiv somewhere else.

That was sarcasm. Grilli is in the bullpen and having a ton of success with the Tigers. Someone used Scott Ruffcorn to argue that liek 90% of our prospects don't pan out and we should just consider giving up on them, so I fired back that list of guys who started struggling and who the White Sox shipped out, only to have them become successful in other locals.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 11:02 AM)
That was sarcasm. Grilli is in the bullpen and having a ton of success with the Tigers. Someone used Scott Ruffcorn to argue that liek 90% of our prospects don't pan out and we should just consider giving up on them, so I fired back that list of guys who started struggling and who the White Sox shipped out, only to have them become successful in other locals.

Thank you for not putting it in green. It worked much better this way.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 02:02 PM)
I don't see that stated in the article. Perhaps because he's not listed as a top-5 prospect?

They list him as being in contention for the 5th spot, so I guess that means hes not really a prospect, somehow.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 11:33 AM)
Yeah.

Jon Rauch

Jason Grilli

Gary Majewski

Kip Wells

Keith Foulke

Bobby Howry

Scott Eyre

My sarcasm detector is off...

All those guys are in the majors still.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 08:33 AM)
Yeah.

Jon Rauch

Jason Grilli

Gary Majewski

Kip Wells

Keith Foulke

Bobby Howry

Scott Eyre

I assume you are being sarcastic Balta and I want to point this out cause I think people will miss out on this.

Rauch has turned into a pretty good reliever, Majewski did a pretty good job when healthy out of the pen. Kip has had a lot of injury issues but had a couple good years. Foulke was above average, closed out for the BoSox in the series. Howry and Eyre both are quality relievers that get paid well on the Northside.

Basically put, a lot of those guys we had did have success elsewhere.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 08:38 PM)
Interesting note on Grilli ... I saw a Detroit columnist refer to Grilli as one of a number of "on the cusp" young pitchers in the Tigers organization.

:gosox1:

Seriously, I'm not surprised at Grilli's success, the White Sox were so desperate for starters for like 5 years that they tossed aside bullpen talent because that wasn't what they needed.

But anyway, I think KW has realized that flaw this year. And if you lined up Grilli versus anyone that pencils into the Sox bullpen this year, including Logan/Sisco, for the first time in several years, I take the inexperienced guy in the Sox bullpen bases on sheer talent alone My God can this bullpen bring the heat. I hope it works for a full season, because on paper, Minny will wish they had the stuff we do

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 11:02 AM)

Maybe this should be broken down further. The Sox do a lousy job drafting and developiung pitchers. Most of the guys on that list we got thru trades/minor league FA signings.

KW needs to improve on this. In 6 KW led drafts, all there is to show pitching wise so far is McCarthy.

Bob