Hot Stove talk

southsider2k5

A couple of interesting things I heard today on talking baseball with Ed Farmer and Bruce Levine.

#1 As the price of Mike Lowell has stayed high, the Cubs have become very interested in Jose Valentin as a short term answer to 3B. Also a note on Val, he has a $5 mil option for 2004 that becomes exersized if Jose gets 575 AB's. (I would guess it is PA's but that is what Levine said this morning, if anyone has better info please help out)

#2 The Texas Rangers are"very interested" in Mark Buehrle. If we end up white flagging this season could we see a deal with the Rangers and some of their offense coming to Chicago?

A couple of interesting things I heard today on talking baseball with Ed Farmer and Bruce Levine.

#1 As the price of Mike Lowell has stayed high, the Cubs have become very interested in Jose Valentin as a short term answer to 3B.  Also a note on Val, he has a $5 mil option for 2004 that becomes exersized if Jose gets 575 AB's.  (I would guess it is PA's but that is what Levine said this morning, if anyone has better info please help out)

#2 The Texas Rangers are"very interested" in Mark Buehrle.  If we end up white flagging this season could we see a deal with the Rangers and some of their offense coming to Chicago?

Who isn't "very interested" in Mark Buehrle?

Problem is we aren't interested in trading him.

#1 As the price of Mike Lowell has stayed high, the Cubs have become very interested in Jose Valentin as a short term answer to 3B.  Also a note on Val, he has a $5 mil option for 2004 that becomes exersized if Jose gets 575 AB's.  (I would guess it is PA's but that is what Levine said this morning, if anyone has better info please help out)

#2 The Texas Rangers are"very interested" in Mark Buehrle.  If we end up white flagging this season could we see a deal with the Rangers and some of their offense coming to Chicago?

Blalock or Textiera are mandatory in that deal. We could let Blalock play 2nd and move Jimenez to short or simply move Jimenez elsewhere.

In regards to Jose, what the hell are we doing playing him. There is no freaking way I ever want to see the Sox give him that option. That would be beyond stupid.

Actually, I was hoping the Cubs would show interest in Jose. That seemed to make sense to me. I don't know that we'd get anything worthwhile from them. Any speculation on what we'd get on the receiving end of such a deal? Besides, getting screwed, I mean.

And I don't even want to talk to Texas about Buehrle.

Guest Ncorgbl
I'd like to have their SS.  :D

pam.jpeg

If that's what ARod is looking like these days, I'm all for it. I imagine the players would chip in for the contract, too.

Jose is a good player and I hope we keep him. Now, if some team were interested in Jimenez, I might be willing to listen.

Mark Buerhle to Texas? I don't think so and there is nothing Texas has that we need.

You wouldn't want to have Hank Blalock or Texiera? I'd take either of those guys over Crede.

I think Crede will be here a very long time and be a star of that caliber.

Crede is our 3B of the future. He only played part of last season regularly and this is actually his first full season. He is still learning and maturing as a big leagurer. He has the Robin Ventura like talent. The scrubbies announcers sure sounded like they were impressed with Crede.

Trade that piece of s*** Valentin! As long as we can get something good (bullpen, offense) Id do it! No way Buehrle goes to Texas!

Valentin is doing a good job. He is playing good and aggressive defense and gives the Sox 100% every game. He still has pop in his bat and I think he will be on a hitting tear soon. Doubters will be singing a different tune then.

Crede is our 3B of the future. He only played part of last season regularly and this is actually his first full season. He is still learning and maturing as a big leagurer. He has the Robin Ventura like talent. The scrubbies announcers sure sounded like they were impressed with Crede.

I have nothing against Crede, but those two TX 3B are the real deal. I think both of their upsides are better than Crede's, IMHO.

pam.jpeg

If that's what ARod is looking like these days, I'm all for it. I imagine the players would chip in for the contract, too.

ncorgbl you've always talked about distractions in the clubhouse hurting this team . . . ;)

Now if we do wind up waving the white flag I'm all for inviting her and a few friends to finish out the season :D

pam.jpeg

ncorgbl you've always talked about distractions in the clubhouse hurting this team . . . ;)

Now if we do wind up waving the white flag I'm all for inviting her and a few friends to finish out the season :D

Exactly why they should have sold the stadium naming rights to Vivid video.

FYI, Blalock hit .211 last yr.

And after trading Hafner those two aren't going anywhere.

Come on UNS, what's the .211 reference to??

Blalock hit .211 in only 147 AB's last year in Texas. He bounced back nicely to hit .307 with 8 HR and 62 RBI in 95 games in AAA as well.

He is a career .324 hitter in the Minors. And if Minor League numbers don't hold their wight, then how about these?

.335 Avg

.391 OBp

.558 SLG

18 2B

12 HR

44 RBI

Those are Major League number for only 65 games this year.

No, Texas would never trade him for Buehrle or anyone else, but don't try to knock this guy down because he had a rough first month or so in the Bigs.