Buehrle knows this is it

DBAHO

White Sox general manager Ken Williams and starting pitcher Mark Buehrle seemed to agree on at least one thing Friday night: After the 2007 season, the left-hander is gone.

And the kickoff of the annual SoxFest showed that neither is willing to budge.

Coming off Buehrle's worst season in the major leagues, in which he was 12-13 with a career-high 4.99 ERA, the hope is that the southpaw returns to his ace form. However, he's a free agent after this season, so it's likely he's walking either way.

Williams said during the winter meetings he would not be held hostage by an inflated market, especially for pitchers, and that didn't get past Buehrle.

''Yeah, I saw the quote about him saying that I won't be in a White Sox uniform in 2008,'' Buehrle said. ''That's part of the business. It's going to happen.

''I'm not the first person and not the last person to switch teams. I would like to stay here and want to do whatever it takes to stay here, but Kenny has done an outstanding job getting the best talent available on the field each and every year. If he feels that he wants to go young and not pay the veteran guys the money, then that's what they're going to do.''

It didn't help that free-agent left-hander Barry Zito signed a seven-year, $126million deal with the San Francisco Giants last month.

Buehrle, 27, did say he'd be willing to give the Sox a hometown discount, but he didn't seem willing to make it a very big one.

''You have to look at both aspects,'' Buehrle said. ''I mean, I'm not going to be looking for Zito money, but how much of a discount can you give? You have to also be able to go out there and get what's fair on the market.''

Cheery through the early part of Friday's festivities, Williams heated up when told of Buehrle's comments.

''Is there going to be a pitcher around here that has the dollars and the years that have been put out there? Very, very unlikely,'' Williams said. ''Unless something dramatically happens where we don't have any options ... but what we've tried to do is give ourselves options. And I think we've done a hell of a job at it over the last year.

''All we need to be focused on, whether it's Mark Buehrle or any other player that has a contractual issue for 2008 -- I say again, 2008 -- take care of 2007. Take care of 2007, because you win and we win.

''Now play him the tape,'' an animated Williams then insisted, referring to Buehrle.

Last spring training, the Sox made Buehrle an offer, which he turned down. Williams did his best to avoid getting into specifics about that offer or the numbers involved.

''That's our business and Mark's business, and I understand that by taking that stance on what is and what isn't, I put myself and the organization in the line of bullets,'' Williams said. ''Then it doesn't look good because we don't get caught up in, 'We offered this and we offered that.'

''That would do two things. It would make us look like we're trying to cover our [butt] and it makes him look -- from the common fan's perspective -- it makes him look greedy. I have no interest in that. I have no interest in making him look bad and no interest in making the organization look bad, but I am willing to make myself look bad and take some bullets to protect him.''

As far as any coming talks are concerned, Buehrle wasn't overly optimistic.

''There have been no talks from what I've been told, and I have no idea if that's going to change,'' he said. ''It sounds like it won't.''

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes MArk is too honest. He should just say "Let's worry about 2007" and leave it at that. The more he talks about 2008, the more questions he'll get from the media.

The reality is if the sox have a very good alternative to Mark in either Danks or Gio, why pay Mark the $16 mill + a yr for 5, 6 yrs he'll likely get on the open market. Mark knows it. KW knows it. And the fans should know it by now.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jan 27, 2007 -> 02:32 PM)
It also sounds like a little leveraging and positioning with the media from both sides.

Sure it does, MB looks like he's positioning himself to make KW look like the bad guy. On the whitesox.com site, the media questioned KW with an MB quote saying essentially KW said he won't be back, maybe even if he played for free. Ahh whatever, get 16 wins, and we'll see you on the flip side. Danks is on pace to be ready by the break, and Gio soon to follow (maybe 2 years.)

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 27, 2007 -> 04:26 PM)
Very easy to say Fathom, and you know it. I'm sure Kenny had numerous discussions with teams about Mark, and there was a reason he wasn't dealt.

If you were a GM of another team, would you trade for a guy coming off his worst season, that is a FA at the end of the year? If you did, you certainly wouldn't want to give up that much....

Oh, I know it's easier said than done. There's no doubt in my mind KW wanted/wants to trade Buehrle. It's just too damn bad the Cards don't have a good farm system.

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ Jan 27, 2007 -> 10:34 AM)
..ozzie said that contreras would be his opening day starter, i thought it would be garland...

Another childish, a mi manera move by Guillen.

Buehrle's been our opening day starter for what, 5 years, and now Guillen doesn't want him to start because he may not resign?

QUOTE(shoota @ Jan 27, 2007 -> 10:53 AM)

Buehrle's been our opening day starter for what, 5 years, and now Guillen doesn't want him to start because he may not resign?

i dont think thats the case...plain and simple, buehrle doesnt deserve to be the opening day starter, yea garland should start over contreras...but it shouldnt be buehrle

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ Jan 27, 2007 -> 11:00 AM)
i dont think thats the case...plain and simple, buehrle doesnt deserve to be the opening day starter, yea garland should start over contreras...but it shouldnt be buehrle

No, Garland should not start number one.

--

I have no problem with Contreras over Buehrle.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Jan 27, 2007 -> 10:32 AM)
According to Levine the Sox offered Buehrle a 3yr $31 deal last July and it was turned down.

That's quite the lowball offer.

One could probably make that argument and win, but what provoked Guillen to announce that decision now? If it was to inform fans at Soxfest, fine, but if it was a reactionary decision based on Buehrle's contract status, that's disgusting managing.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jan 27, 2007 -> 11:04 AM)
No, Garland should not start number one.

--

I have no problem with Contreras over Buehrle.

That's quite the lowball offer.

for a team that claims to rely on chemistry they're not exactly starting it off right... KW seems like he feels about Buehrle now the same way as he did about Frank and it's a little annoying. When you've got two guys in Buehrle and Crede who are cornerstones of this organization and team going through the season unsure about whether they'll be dealt or not - re signed or not - it just puts a cloud in there that shouldnt be around. Especially with Buehrle. If it really IS his last year at least be classy about it and have him start Opening Day like he has since he was 22 years old... for the love of god its not like it really makes a difference. I just feel like ozzie and KW are the type that are like "ok, you dont want to be here anymore? well lets make your life hell and make you out to look like a douche". not a big fan of that tactic

Contreras was the Sox' best starter last year I don't see why he wouldn't start opening day over Garland who was pretty average last season.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jan 27, 2007 -> 11:19 AM)
Contreras was the Sox' best starter last year I don't see why he wouldn't start opening day over Garland who was pretty average last season.

he had a strectch of games in which he was real bad, garland did win 18 games again, but i guess it should be contreras.

Mark B will most likely get traded in 2007 and if not he will be a FA at the end of the year. That's my take on it from what I read. Might as well get used to the endless speculation and the righteous posturing of both sides.

Inflated values is a good characterization of these contracts especially when you see people with worse records and histroy than Mark getting the money they are. Look at Jeff Weaver and the Mariners. He will get almost $9M for '07 and won 11 games last year.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jan 27, 2007 -> 11:35 AM)
You guess?

It's because you think Garland is cute, right? :D

ha. actually i dont really like garland, never really have. is he "cute" yea, i guess you can say that :P i dont know i guess its because hes never really made himself too fan-friendly.

Edited by Melissa1334

Contreras, when not injured, has been the Sox ACE since the middle of 2005. He deserves to start opening day. To have Mark start opening day after his performance last year, would be an injustice to Contreras and Garland. I would have Contreras start opening day even it Mark signs a 6 year 6 million dollar (hometown discount) extension right now.

Mark seems honest, too honest. I believe him when he says he wants to come back. If he shows he's back to his old form this year, I wouldn't be surprised if we see an extension for him for loyalty/PR purposes if nothing else. If the money he requires is greater than the GNP of some whole countries, at least KW has some left handers with the potential of winning the Sox 14 - 15 games a year. The Sox can't pay all of their starters 15 million a year and still afford guys like Dye and Crede. Would the Sox be a better team with Mark, Garland, Fields, and Sweeney or Crede, Dye, Haegar, and Danks? KW has to make those kind of decisions because even if every game is sold out, the Sox can't have a yankee payroll. As long as the Sox keep an approximate 100 million payroll (they have not ruled out going higher), I will not consider them cheap or rebuilding. Only the yankees can keep everyone that the "boss" desires. With these unfortunate, unavoidable, difficult decisions our GM has to make, the Sox are extremely lucky to have a bold and shrewd guy like KW. KW is among the best in the game and getting better with experience.

I would hate to see Buerhle go. He has been our Ace. At some point, we need to reward the players who grew up in our system and who had been successful. Mark has been one of my favorite White sox and I would like him to finish his career with the Sox.

QUOTE(shoota @ Jan 27, 2007 -> 10:53 AM)

Contreras should also have been the opening-day starter last year, in my opinion...