First season predictions

winninguglyin83

Picked up Sporting News Baseball Yearbook today.

they like the Sox -- but not enough.

We're picked the 8th best team in the majors, 5th best in the AL.

But only number three in the Central -- behind Twinkies and Tigers.

They have faith in a Minny rotation of Santana, Bonser, Silva, Garza and Perkins.

They don't seem to be big fans of Gavin Floyd. Say he doesn't have enough self confidence and cannot throw his breaking ball for strikes consistently.

And they list Buehrle as the Sox fantasy player to dump, Dye as the guy to buy and BA as a sleeper.

They rank Fields as the fifth best rookie in the AL -- behind Delmon Young of Tampa, Alex Gordon of the Royals, Adam Miller of the Indians and Dustin Pedroia of the Red Sox.

And, they like Chris Young -- from Ariziona by way of the Birmingham Barons -- as the young player they like the most in the National League.

That was a VERY painful sentence to write.

Just got the book. If I find any more gems, I'll pass them along.

five career big-league innings for Perkins.

They ccmpare him to Glendon Rusch.

I gotta believe Terry Ryan will find a bargain basement free agent project during spring training.

He'll come with a better arm from the farm system in mid-summer.

Didn't realize Nathan was a free agent after this year.

THAT is very good news.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Jan 28, 2007 -> 06:52 PM)
five career big-league innings for Perkins.

They ccmpare him to Glendon Rusch.

I gotta believe Terry Ryan will find a bargain basement free agent project during spring training.

He'll come with a better arm from the farm system in mid-summer.

Didn't realize Nathan was a free agent after this year.

THAT is very good news.

Maybe Terry Mulholland is available?

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 28, 2007 -> 07:19 PM)
Minny as a franchise could be in some serious trouble in the next few years.

I really don't think this season looks very promising for them, however I expect them to make noise. However Nathan is going to his FA this upcoming off season or the next, Santana at the end of 2008, and this off-season it's looking more and more likely they are going to go to arb with the MVP and batting champ.

They better find some money in those pockets, that team could get really expensive, really quick.

Their owner is one of the richest in sports, but he's very cheap. I think their new stadium should improve their payroll dramatically. It will be interesting to see how Ryan is with extra money. He's been great watching his pennies, but sometimes when you have the extra money, you spend it on the wrong things.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jan 28, 2007 -> 10:20 PM)
Their owner is one of the richest in sports, but he's very cheap. I think their new stadium should improve their payroll dramatically. It will be interesting to see how Ryan is with extra money. He's been great watching his pennies, but sometimes when you have the extra money, you spend it on the wrong things.

Even as one of his biggest supporters --- Javier Vazquez

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Jan 28, 2007 -> 09:54 PM)
Id be more worried about Cleveland then I would Minny at this point.

here here.

Sabathia, Westbrook and Lee are strong. And everyone knows that lineup can be murder. Wish they could figure out how to beat the kitties.

I'm not surprised that scouts aren't touting the Sox. Just like going into '05, there are too many unknowns at this point.

Why doesn't anyone else, including the media peg the twins for like 86-76 and the tigers somewhere around the same 88-74. You know good but not outstanding. They have a good amount of talent but lets face it. The Tigers were just a .500 team last year for half the season. The twins too. That has to speak for something.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 28, 2007 -> 07:19 PM)
Minny as a franchise could be in some serious trouble in the next few years.

I really don't think this season looks very promising for them, however I expect them to make noise. However Nathan is going to his FA this upcoming off season or the next, Santana at the end of 2008, and this off-season it's looking more and more likely they are going to go to arb with the MVP and batting champ.

They better find some money in those pockets, that team could get really expensive, really quick.

A story this morning in the Mpls paper mentioned that the Twins' payroll in 1999 was $19 million. Santana will likely get paid more than that yearly after 2008.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 06:03 PM)
but probably not by the Twinkies

Well, there is always the matter of them getting a new stadium at long last...who knows what that will do to their payroll. They probably wouldn't keep Johan anyway...but that's a factor we should all avoid forgetting.

I can see a well written, well thought out, accurate prediction of the AL Central that places the Sox, Twins, Indians, or Tigers in the #1 spot. There are certain keys for each team that if they happen, that team is going to have a strong run. Which is the most likely, we that's why they play the games.

So when I read these stories, I look for the "what does the writer think has to happen for this to be true".

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Jan 31, 2007 -> 01:20 AM)
Santana will be in new york, Boston or LA.

20 million for 7 years, if Zito is the measuring stick.

that doesn't answer how tight it would be. The answer is: really tight.