Lead off hitter

GoSox05

It may be a stretch, but from watching Pablo play the last few years, I have seen a player who improved a ton in a position that he was not accustomed to playing (OF). I think with proper reps in ST he could become as good if not better defensively in LF than PODS. Also I like his energy at the top of the order, he can actually lay down a bunt, and can hit for average.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Feb 5, 2007 -> 06:51 PM)
Todd Helton might be an exception this ST.

Yeah, he really seems to be forcing the Rockies' hand so he could be moved in a significant deal some time during March but in generally you just don't see deals involving high quality or even multiple players getting done this close to the start of the season.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Feb 5, 2007 -> 06:46 PM)
No value might be pushing it, but Olsen or Sanchez? That's ridiculous talk. What do you realistically see the White Sox being able to get from say the Marlins if a deal were to go down?

Oh I completely agree with that too. I just basically wanted to make note that he does have value; he's just not going to net you a premier pitching prospect.

That's just the classic "XBox" trade right there, simple as that.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Feb 5, 2007 -> 06:51 PM)
Todd Helton might be an exception this ST.

And that is the only reason I left it at 5% in my aforementioned post. If not for the slight potential of such a deal, I would have said there is a better chance that Heath Miller does indeed get traded to the DRays.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 5, 2007 -> 06:52 PM)
It may be a stretch, but from watching Pablo play the last few years, I have seen a player who improved a ton in a position that he was not accustomed to playing (OF). I think with proper reps in ST he could become as good if not better defensively in LF than PODS. Also I like his energy at the top of the order, he can actually lay down a bunt, and can hit for average.

Looking at the whole picture, offense and defense, I agree that Ozuna would likely be better than 2006 Pods. He may even be close to 2005 Pods, if given more reps in LF. Just don't ever put Ozuna in CF, and make sure it's BA playing CF next to him.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 5, 2007 -> 07:12 PM)
Looking at the whole picture, offense and defense, I agree that Ozuna would likely be better than 2006 Pods. He may even be close to 2005 Pods, if given more reps in LF. Just don't ever put Ozuna in CF, and make sure it's BA playing CF next to him.

In order to match Podsednik's production from 2005 Pablo would have to drastically improve his batter's eye and patience this offseason because from what we've seen out of him over the past 2 seasons he can't take a walk to save his life, atleast Podsednik was able to do draw a few walks in '05. We also really don't know what kind of hitter Pablo is, he's a 32 year old with 500 career ABs and one above average offensive season under his belt, he appears to be a pretty good slap hitter but I don't see how anyone can say with any certainty that he can be counted on to hit .280 in a 350-450+ AB season next year simply because his body of work is not substantial enough to be making claims with any certainty.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 5, 2007 -> 07:23 PM)
In order to match Podsednik's production from 2005 Pablo would have to drastically improve his batter's eye and patience this offseason because from what we've seen out of him over the past 2 seasons he can't take a walk to save his life, atleast Podsednik was able to do draw a few walks in '05. We also really don't know what kind of hitter Pablo is, he's a 32 year old with 500 career ABs and one above average offensive season under his belt, he appears to be a pretty good slap hitter but I don't see how anyone can say with any certainty that he can be counted on to hit .280 in a 350-450+ AB season next year simply because his body of work is not substantial enough to be making claims with any certainty.

You used the word "certainty" twice. I used the words "likely" and "may". None of this is ever an exact science, much as some of the stat-heads may think it is.

Pablo may or may not be able to get there. But I do think that, if you want a lead-off hitter for 2007 that is in the organization and has some speed (to make Oz happy), I think Ozuna, or an Ozuna-Mack platoon, may be the best option in LF until Pods' return. And may be that even after his return.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 5, 2007 -> 07:33 PM)
You used the word "certainty" twice. I used the words "likely" and "may". None of this is ever an exact science, much as some of the stat-heads may think it is.

Pablo may or may not be able to get there. But I do think that, if you want a lead-off hitter for 2007 that is in the organization and has some speed (to make Oz happy), I think Ozuna, or an Ozuna-Mack platoon, may be the best option in LF until Pods' return. And may be that even after his return.

That post wasn't entirely meant for you but just as a post to a group of people who seem to think Ozuna is a known commodity when he's far from it. I agree with you though as of right now an Ozuna/Mack platoon is probably the best offensive option this team has, I still don't want Pablo out in LF because he is terrible but he and Mack should, in theory, be able to produce at a much higher level than Erstad alone would be able to reach. I'd love to see Mackowiak start in LF and leadoff against righties and Erstad start in LF with Iguchi leading off against lefties. Then whenever Pablo gets into the starting lineup as an infielder have him take over leadoff duties.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 5, 2007 -> 07:46 PM)
That post wasn't entirely meant for you but just as a post to a group of people who seem to think Ozuna is a known commodity when he's far from it. I agree with you though as of right now an Ozuna/Mack platoon is probably the best offensive option this team has, I still don't want Pablo out in LF because he is terrible but he and Mack should, in theory, be able to produce at a much higher level than Erstad alone would be able to reach. I'd love to see Mackowiak start in LF and leadoff against righties and Erstad start in LF with Iguchi leading off against lefties. Then whenever Pablo gets into the starting lineup as an infielder have him take over leadoff duties.

Fair enough. I would be equally happy seeing Mack/Erstad out there covering LF, and Ozuna backing up 3B, maybe 2B, and doing more PH/PR duties than he had previously. I think if Ozzie is serious about using the tools he has, then Pablo needs more PH attempts against LHP in 2007, as well as more PR duties. That gives you a little more speed (targeted to situations) without sacrificing defense.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 5, 2007 -> 07:52 PM)
Fair enough. I would be equally happy seeing Mack/Erstad out there covering LF, and Ozuna backing up 3B, maybe 2B, and doing more PH/PR duties than he had previously. I think if Ozzie is serious about using the tools he has, then Pablo needs more PH attempts against LHP in 2007, as well as more PR duties. That gives you a little more speed (targeted to situations) without sacrificing defense.

Agreed especially since this lineup is going to be lacking speed wise and Pablo is your only real speed guy off the bench.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 5, 2007 -> 07:46 PM)
That post wasn't entirely meant for you but just as a post to a group of people who seem to think Ozuna is a known commodity when he's far from it.

I hope you werent referring to my post. Mine was a stretch as I said. But at this point he may be one of our only chances.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 5, 2007 -> 08:05 PM)
I hope you werent referring to my post. Mine was a stretch as I said. But at this point he may be one of our only chances.

It was referring to anyone who meets the criteria I mentioned in my previous post "a group of people who seem to think Ozuna is a known commodity" if that includes you then so be it, if not then don't worry about it.

QUOTE(southsida86 @ Feb 5, 2007 -> 05:25 PM)
I'd move Broadway and Heath Miller to TB for Crawford or Baldelli, then we can flip BA to Florida for some pitching, maybe Olsen or Sanchez(pipedream) or a couple of power arms in their system. I'd stay away from Petit though. it would then end up being a lateral move, and if they were willing to part with Olsen or Sanchez, then maybe we could pry away Phil Humber or Mike Pelfrey and Lastings Milledge away from the Mets for Vazquez. This plan may actually improve our team.

If this deal would be accepted, it would have been done thirteen times by now. Go back two months to all the crawford, pelfrey, baldelli talk.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Feb 6, 2007 -> 09:09 AM)
If this deal would be accepted, it would have been done thirteen times by now. Go back two months to all the crawford, pelfrey, baldelli talk.

I agree with ya. Crawford especially will be bring a return of more than just a top 10 prospect but at least a top #1 prospect plus whatever else. Depends on what they would be looking for in return.

Phillips is nothing more than an after thought in any deal, an oh yeah we'll throw him in too kind of guy and Broadway has only started 1 game in Charlotte so his value isnt that high yet. If Lance can have a good season in Charlotte, which I think he will, then yes maybe a package centered around Broadway could possibly get a guy like Crawford but even then ya still have to give up at least one more top ten prospect along with Lance and probably an A or AA guy too.

Edited by VicRattlehead

QUOTE(ScottyDo @ Feb 6, 2007 -> 12:35 AM)
I think Gooch would probably be the best at it, but it's an awful waste of his varied talents. It'd be great to see him lower in the order but it's sort of crowded down there, which is nice.

Having Soriano as a leadoff hitter is an awful waste. Having Sizemore as a leadoff hitter is an awful waste. Iguchi? Maybe a little waste but not too much.

Last season, Ozuna's OBP as a leadoff hitter (with more than 150 ABs) was .370. Not bad at all. That ties him with Ichiro from Seattle, who had many more at bats, but still... I'm just sayin Ozuna has done everything that has been asked of him over the past two seasons. Remember when he like .450 in spring training in 05 (among other highlights from #38)?