Soxtalk Community Prediction: Darin Erstad

Heads22

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Feb 6, 2007 -> 05:26 PM)
Just stay healthy

exactly. stay healthy, be scrappy and play aggressive like the Erstad of old. He will most likely get 3/4ths the starts out in LF when Pods is out. I'm guessing he'll be the leadoff hitter to start the year as well. So don't need to steal, but just get on base for our 3-4-5-6 sluggers. I predict .265 10 HR 50 RBI which is solid for a part time starter part time bench player.

He will somehow stay healthy. Why? Because both God and Ozzie Guillen Hate Brian Anderson, and both are doing everything they possibly can to rob the kid of playing time. Anderson will barely face any righties this year, will continue to hit righties better than lefties, and by the end of the year, my mind will be blown as to how we missed the playoffs for the same reason 2 years in a row.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(Craig Grebeck @ Feb 6, 2007 -> 01:38 PM)
Dreadful. Hopefully he plays bad enough that Ozzie loses his vet fetish and realizes he is one of the worst players in MLB.

Thats a bit rough dont ya think? For one KW signed Erstad and not Ozzie for two Erstad made it real easy for Angel fans to forget about Edmonds cause he so damn good. The guy has had injury problems but ya cant deny what he did before the injuries and he's only 32.

KW would have signed Erstand if he wasnt ready to come back at 100% and contribute. Same s*** was said when Dye was signed and thats worked out damn good.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 6, 2007 -> 06:51 PM)
He will somehow stay healthy. Why? Because both God and Ozzie Guillen Hate Brian Anderson, and both are doing everything they possibly can to rob the kid of playing time. Anderson will barely face any righties this year, will continue to hit righties better than lefties, and by the end of the year, my mind will be blown as to how we missed the playoffs for the same reason 2 years in a row.

:lolhitting

QUOTE(VicRattlehead @ Feb 6, 2007 -> 01:57 PM)
Thats a bit rough dont ya think? For one KW signed Erstad and not Ozzie for two Erstad made it real easy for Angel fans to forget about Edmonds cause he so damn good. The guy has had injury problems but ya cant deny what he did before the injuries and he's only 32.

KW would have signed Erstand if he wasnt ready to come back at 100% and contribute. Same s*** was said when Dye was signed and thats worked out damn good.

Erstad has been a mediocre offensive player for the past 6 years. And people really have to stop mentioning Dye and Erstad in the same sentence, talk about completely different players and circumstances.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 6, 2007 -> 02:05 PM)
Erstad has been a mediocre offensive player for the past 6 years. And people really have to stop mentioning Dye and Erstad in the same sentence, talk about completely different players and circumstances.

Well I dont agree with mediocre but the point is Dye was a risky signing at the time cause of his injury problems just like Erstad is but we got both for cheap and ya never know he could be another cheap addition that helps us get back to the playoffs. Worth the small risk anyway.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 6, 2007 -> 02:05 PM)

Sox fans probably just remember him being a tough out against us.I know he has hit over .400 against Jon and MB,but there are a few other teams in the league.

QUOTE(VicRattlehead @ Feb 6, 2007 -> 02:18 PM)
Well I dont agree with mediocre but the point is Dye was a risky signing at the time cause of his injury problems just like Erstad is but we got both for cheap and ya never know he could be another cheap addition that helps us get back to the playoffs. Worth the small risk anyway.

No, mediocre is the word, he has no power, doesn't draw walks and doesn't drive in runs, he's mediocre. Dye was a risk but it was a great risk to take with major upside, he was coming off some injuries but was still known as a very good hitter when healthy and they gave him a pretty cheap deal. Erstad is bad offensive player who will be limited defensively while coming off ankle surgery but worst of all he's going to be relied upon to be the team's leadoff hitter to start the season which is pretty ridiculous.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 6, 2007 -> 02:29 PM)
No, mediocre is the word, he has no power, doesn't draw walks and doesn't drive in runs, he's mediocre. Dye was a risk but it was a great risk to take with major upside, he was coming off some injuries but was still known as a very good hitter when healthy and they gave him a pretty cheap deal. Erstad is bad offensive player who will be limited defensively while coming off ankle surgery but worst of all he's going to be relied upon to be the team's leadoff hitter to start the season which is pretty ridiculous.

What does power have anything to do with it? Do ya really think the Sox need more power? Power isnt something they desperately need. Come on now. We didnt pick him up for power anyway depite the fact he has hit 25 in a season before. We needed a solid backup OF in case Pods or BA bomb or have injuries which is the case now with Pods. I wont argue that he doesnt draw walks but neither does Pods and neither drive in runs which isnt a big deal anyway cause they are lead off guys, they wont drive in alot anyway.

Erstad isnt my first choice either but Im glad we have him especially now that Pods is having problems yet again. Whos to say Darin cant get back to swinging the bat like he did in 2000? As for mediocre, well thats just your opinion and thats fine but when the guy can stay healthy he's better than mediocre and his career numbers show it.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 6, 2007 -> 02:29 PM)

I agree. Everyone will be calling for his head soon enough.

QUOTE(VicRattlehead @ Feb 6, 2007 -> 07:00 PM)
What does power have anything to do with it? Do ya really think the Sox need more power? Power isnt something they desperately need. Come on now. We didnt pick him up for power anyway depite the fact he has hit 25 in a season before. We needed a solid backup OF in case Pods or BA bomb or have injuries which is the case now with Pods. I wont argue that he doesnt draw walks but neither does Pods and neither drive in runs which isnt a big deal anyway cause they are lead off guys, they wont drive in alot anyway.

Erstad isnt my first choice either but Im glad we have him especially now that Pods is having problems yet again. Whos to say Darin cant get back to swinging the bat like he did in 2000? As for mediocre, well thats just your opinion and thats fine but when the guy can stay healthy he's better than mediocre and his career numbers show it.

Power matters because he's a corner outfielder which is a power position, if you have a good speed guy with a high OBP you can probably get away with it, sadly Erstad is not fast (good baserunner, yes, speed/SB guy? no). Power is also a very nice thing to have when you don't do anything well on offense outside of the little things. He hit 25 HRs 7 YEARS AGO and hasn't come anywhere close since despite being perfectly happy throughout that time span. He's hit a grand total of 18 HRs over the past 4 seasons combined, to even bring up the fact that he hit 25 in a single season is completely pointless.

Pods may not draw walks as well as the elite leadoff hitters in the league but when comparing him to Erstad he's pretty decent, Darin draws no walks. Even when hitting in other parts of the batting order Erstad still doesn't drive in runs so that can not be chalked up entirely to hitting leadoff, the guy just does not produce runs and since he'll hopefully be spending time in other parts of the order outside of leadoff (Mack, Iguchi and Ozuna are MUCH better options for leadoff) it would be nice if he could knock in a run or two but it's something he does not have a history of doing.

The odds of him just suddenly returning to his 2000 status are about as good as Junior Spivey returning to his all star status of a few years ago. When Darin has hit a certain way for 7 YEARS NOW as well as the years prior to 2000 I'd say that one season was likely an anomaly (1/11 of his career). OPS+ for the past 6 seasons: 78, 88, 75, 95, 89, 60, in order to be just average he needs a 100, being under 100 for that long is the height of mediocrity.