Some more to gripe about..

Steff

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 9, 2007 -> 09:03 AM)
Tickets in the UD, up $2. In the lower, up $3

Average LD price to attend a game at Yankee Stadium... $89.

When the annual article came out last year listing the cost of a game at the various ballparks (tickets, grub, parking, etc.), the Sox were still pretty reasonable compared to other teams. I wonder how they will look this year.

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 9, 2007 -> 09:03 AM)
Tickets in the UD, up $2. In the lower, up $3

Average LD price to attend a game at Yankee Stadium... $89.

Speaking of tickets... my season rep said that the Season Ticket holder pre-sale would probably be the week of 2/12, which is coming up. But I haven't heard or seen anything about it yet.

Anyone hear any specifics on that yet?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 9, 2007 -> 09:14 AM)
Speaking of tickets... my season rep said that the Season Ticket holder pre-sale would probably be the week of 2/12, which is coming up. But I haven't heard or seen anything about it yet.

We got an email. It's one day for fulls, the next for split, then the next for Ozzie plan, then finally to the GP IIRC.

Well they raised beer I think last year $.50. Ticket prices go up stuff happens although I kind of believe $3 is a little steep, at least compared to the rate of inflation at like 2% (which would mean a $.7 addition to a $35 seat). Point is they will raise it that much because they can, case and point. The lower deck seats are a way higher demand at this ballpark mainly becuase thats where all the attractions are (speed pitch, fan deck, ease of access to bullpen bar, gift shops, specialty food stands, ticketing area, outfield shower, etc)

QUOTE(joeynach @ Feb 9, 2007 -> 09:42 AM)
...mainly becuase thats where all the attractions are (speed pitch, fan deck, ease of access to bullpen bar, gift shops, specialty food stands, ticketing area, outfield shower, etc)

The UD has speed pitch, gift shops, specialty foods, and ticketing.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Feb 9, 2007 -> 11:00 AM)
Did the White Sox increase the payroll from last season ? It's in the mid-90's with about 7 players undetermined, and am I to assume that the payroll with the full 25 man roster will be in the neighborhood of 97-98 ?

I think it will settle right near 100 Mil again.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 9, 2007 -> 10:56 AM)
Parking is up to $20

To be honest, that is more annoying than ticket prices to me.

One thing I did find interesting for the conspiracy theoriest among us, is that the Cubs announced a ticket price increase of $2-5 a ticket depending on dates and sections, a couple of days prior the Sox annoucement. The Tribune actually had it on the front page of the sports section in a prominent area, and when you followed the story to its finish, there was a chart which compared how much that ticket prices have gone up since 1982, and it wasn't pretty. The Sox version, while also on the front page of sports, included only a comparison to 2006, and made sure to mention how many games they won, how they had record attendence, and how they had already committed $104.7 million in 2007 to 17 players. We got painted way nicer than the Cubs did for the exact same move.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 9, 2007 -> 09:14 AM)

I have the split-season package, and I just got an e-mail telling me that the presale for me (and presumably all other split-season STHs) will be this coming Monday at 10 AM. If you haven't heard anything yourself, you should probably call or e-mail your rep.

I cannot imagine what it must be like to be a parent and want to take kids to games. Hell, for four tix that's easily $100 right there and then you get to the concessions...

I would think the Sox would offer us no increase after that crap season last year, but hey: I guess this is capitalism, right?

My co-worker was commenting on how it used to be that baseball was the "cheap" sport that everybody could go to, but no more.

The one thing I do have faith in, with Sox fans, is that if the team starts sucking, people will stop coming (God bless us) and we'll see how they'll be trying to give the tix away if that happens.

Side question: do we think it's that far off when the Sox start scalping their own tix like the Cubs do? After all, it has been ruled legal. I wonder what they're waiting for....

CONSPIRACY THEORY alert! WARNING! TO FOLLOW!

Although if I were crafty and a front office for a major team I would simply never put a big block of tix for premium games in the first place, I would simply throw them onto Ebay for a bidding war, posing as individual sellers....

Shhhhh...

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Feb 9, 2007 -> 11:40 AM)
I cannot imagine what it must be like to be a parent and want to take kids to games. Hell, for four tix that's easily $100 right there and then you get to the concessions...

I would think the Sox would offer us no increase after that crap season last year, but hey: I guess this is capitalism, right?

My co-worker was commenting on how it used to be that baseball was the "cheap" sport that everybody could go to, but no more.

The one thing I do have faith in, with Sox fans, is that if the team starts sucking, people will stop coming (God bless us) and we'll see how they'll be trying to give the tix away if that happens.

Side question: do we think it's that far off when the Sox start scalping their own tix like the Cubs do? After all, it has been ruled legal. I wonder what they're waiting for....

CONSPIRACY THEORY alert! WARNING! TO FOLLOW!

Although if I were crafty and a front office for a major team I would simply never put a big block of tix for premium games in the first place, I would simply throw them onto Ebay for a bidding war, posing as individual sellers....

Shhhhh...

The Cubs did that years ago essentially with shadow owning a ticket broker that they diverted tickets to.

The cost has finally caused me to cut back on the number of games I go to.

I could afford to go to more games with the Mrs. and the kid, but it's just not the value it used to be, especially since Mondays are not an option for us.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Feb 9, 2007 -> 12:11 PM)
Well I mean that's out in the open now. They funnel tix directly to their own scalper. And it's legal.

Thye have done that by scaling the price based on the opponent and date of the game. You pay more to see the premium games which I agree with 100%. If you want to take your family, go when tickets for kids are a buck.

Um...since when is 90 wins a "crap season?" I believe this team has been in the top 5 of wins during the 2000's, which I think would constitute a raise in ticket prices. As much as I hate to say it. The Sox have been competitive for awhile, playoffs or not, so...don't connect season results with ticket hikes.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Feb 9, 2007 -> 12:51 PM)
Um...since when is 90 wins a "crap season?" I believe this team has been in the top 5 of wins during the 2000's, which I think would constitute a raise in ticket prices. As much as I hate to say it. The Sox have been competitive for awhile, playoffs or not, so...don't connect season results with ticket hikes.

It was a craptacular second half. They easily looked like the best team in the majors in the first half, but in the second half, the pitching was mediocre (or slightly better) and the offense was garbage. If they'd played .500 or .525 ball in the second half, they're in the playoffs.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 9, 2007 -> 01:06 PM)
It was a craptacular second half. They easily looked like the best team in the majors in the first half, but in the second half, the pitching was mediocre (or slightly better) and the offense was garbage. If they'd played .500 or .525 ball in the second half, they're in the playoffs.

Regardless, the Sox are one of the most affordable teams in the MLB to see play at home.

I just had this argument with my co-worker. Sorry, 90 wins, 100 wins, 80 wins--who cares? We came in third. Yes, that ranks as crap-tacular, seeing that we dynamited the team and started over after being tired of coming in... second every year.

And 2nd half, as noted above, was particularly crap-tisimo!, if we weren't playing at .500 we were probably below it and the team was so lame that even I turned off the games, forget about going to them.

So yes, after that season and a total question mark of a team this year, I'm not exactly inspired to be shelling out more dough and facing new restrictions.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Feb 9, 2007 -> 12:27 PM)
So yes, after that season and a total question mark of a team this year, I'm not exactly inspired to be shelling out more dough and facing new restrictions.

No one makes you go to the games. This is classic economics. If you increase the price of a ticket by a small amount, you do expect some amount of fans to decide that the product on the field is no longer worth their money and stop buying tickets. The goal is to increase the prices enough so as to increase profits without driving away so many fans as to reduce profitability.

If you don't feel that a 90 win team at those prices is a good enough deal for your money, then don't spend it.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 9, 2007 -> 02:32 PM)
No one makes you go to the games. This is classic economics. If you increase the price of a ticket by a small amount, you do expect some amount of fans to decide that the product on the field is no longer worth their money and stop buying tickets. The goal is to increase the prices enough so as to increase profits without driving away so many fans as to reduce profitability.

If you don't feel that a 90 win team at those prices is a good enough deal for your money, then don't spend it.

Thank you.

Also for those who wanted a top 5 type payroll, here is your bill.