Uribe update

KevHead0881

Didn't see this posted anywhere, so here ya go.

Shortstop Uribe 'anxious' to rejoin White Sox

By Enrique Rojas

ESPNdeportes.com

MIAMI -- Chicago White Sox shortstop Juan Uribe plans to be at the team's spring training session Tuesday for Chicago's first full day of practice.

"I'll fly on Monday afternoon to Tucson ... and I'll be early in the first practice," Uribe told ESPNdeportes.com from his home in San Cristóbal, Dominican Republic.

"I was working all winter with my physical form, but I'm anxious to train with the rest of the team. Working is the best therapy to forget all the problems," added Uribe, who's in the middle of a judicial case in his country.

Uribe, his brother Elpidio and a friend are accused of provoking a shooting in which two men were wounded Oct. 3 in Juan Baron, south of Santo Domingo.

Injured were Dominican Antonio Gonzalez and Italian Dandolin Alessandro. While Alessandro dropped charges, Gonzalez hired a lawyer and has sued the Uribe brothers and their friend.

In January, a judge ordered Uribe to show up in court the 15th and 30th of every month to prove he's not trying to flee justice and ordered the sides to prepare for a preliminary hearing. The judge's decision does not block Uribe from leaving the country but would make him return to the Dominican Republic twice a month from Tucson.

The hearing is scheduled for Feb. 21.

The judge will rule on a motion from the public ministry, appealing a previous decision to archive and drop charges against Uribe because of lack of proof against the ballplayer.

"In the practice, the penal court [dropped] completely the case because there is no proof against Uribe, but the other part appealed that decision," María Luisa Guzmán, Uribe's attorney, said.

"The good news of this is that this Monday we will know the results of an investigation about the bullet tests on the case, that will prove that the bullets found on the scene are not from Uribe's legal pistol," Guzmán said.

"I am innocent and I don't care if I have to go to the ultimate consecuences," Uribe said.

"I'll be at court Monday morning, fly to Arizona in the afternoon, and will train with the team on Tuesday. In case that the process extends after this week, I'll be back to sign the check-up book to comply with the judge's decision," Uribe added.

The 27-year-old Uribe batted .235 with 21 home runs and 71 RBIs last season.

This is kinda off-topic a bit. but still about Uribe.

I cant stand to watch Uribe swing a baseball bat, i will actually turn the channel during his at-bats.

Despite that he knocks out 20 hrs a year. He clearly has pop in his bat. Why has no batting coach ever gotten through to him and made him adapt a real swing that doesnt break every rule that every 12 year old is taught and actually works. I think with some guidance and discipline he could be an offensive stud instead of my opportunity to see whats on "ESPN classic".

QUOTE(bad at best @ Feb 17, 2007 -> 05:27 PM)

I cant stand to watch Uribe swing a baseball bat, i will actually turn the channel during his at-bats.

Despite that he knocks out 20 hrs a year. He clearly has pop in his bat. Why has no batting coach ever gotten through to him and made him adapt a real swing that doesnt break every rule that every 12 year old is taught and actually works. I think with some guidance and discipline he could be an offensive stud instead of my opportunity to see whats on "ESPN classic".

I love watching Uribe when he's on the field but I can't, for the life of me, understand why any pitcher would throw him a strike, ever. Check this out: last year in 463 at-bats, Uribe drew a walk in a grand total of 13 of them. Of course, he struck out 82 times, for an impressive BB/K ratio of 0.158.

Actually, the only reason Uribe ever gets anything to hit may be due to his swiss-cheese swing. The opposing pitcher figures "Hell, I can throw anything, he'll never hit it" and he jumps on a mistake pitch. That's all I can figure.

I dont mean to be overly negative about Uribe. His defense is awesome and 20 homeruns is nothing to sneeze at. But I think most people that watch consistantly would probably agree that he has the worst swing/eye in major league baseball. I truely believe that.

The talent is there though, i think he could be awesome at the plate, thats what makes it an unwatchable tragedy for me.

QUOTE(bad at best @ Feb 17, 2007 -> 05:27 PM)

One hitting coach has gotten through to Juan, his name is Walt Hriniak and he is a legend.

Uribe, accused of shooting farmer, can attend White Sox camp

Feb. 21, 2007

CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

SAN CRISTOBAL, Dominican Republic -- Accused of shooting a Dominican farmer in October, Chicago White Sox shortstop Juan Uribe has received permission from a judge to attend spring training in Tucson, Ariz.

Under the judge's ruling, Uribe will no longer have to appear in court twice a month for the remainder of the case. Instead, he must put down a $15,400 deposit guaranteeing he will make his next scheduled court appearance, slated for March 17.

"I am going to training tomorrow," Uribe told the Associated Press late Wednesday. "I feel satisfied with the court's decision and I am ready to present myself when it's necessary."

The farmer, Antonio Gonzalez Perez, accused Uribe of shooting him after an argument near the shortstop's hometown. An Italian man who also was shot did not file charges.

Uribe said he was ready to discuss the situation with White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen after reporting to camp. And, he said, he's ready to play.

"I have been training every day and I am in good shape. I am not going to have problems," Uribe said.

The 27-year-old shortstop hit .235 with 21 homers and 71 RBI last season. He's due to make $4.15 million this year.

AP NEWS

The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2005-2006, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved