2007 White Sox Predictions Thread

southsider2k5

Here is your chance to amaze and impress your friends. The main prediction we want to see is what the White Sox record will be, and where they will finish in the AL Central, and further if you feel so. Feel free to add in any other predictions such as Konerko SBs and Ozuna HRs that you feel are pertinent.

:cheers

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 20, 2007 -> 08:14 AM)
It's still a tad early. I want to see some guys actually pitch before I make any predictions. While people always say ST doesn't really matter, I called Freddy having a bad season all the way back in ST last season. Just didn't look interested at all in ST, and that look carried over into the season.

BTW, I'm lazy and the search feature is off. Anyone got the 06 prediction thread?

Definitely need to see ST before taking a stab. I also think its not outside the realm of possibility that the Sox 25 man roster isn't as set as people think - might be a surprise or two, maybe even a trade.

I'm hoping no one can find the 06 thread...

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 20, 2007 -> 09:10 AM)
There are some good ones in there. I thought I called a few things pretty well, but was also way off on some. Snb was pretty right on as well. It's just amazing to see a post like Kalapse, and the standings. At the time, those looked really solid, but you look at what Detroit did, or how disappointing the Tribe was, as well as some other things.

Yeah.

My team and division predictions were awful, but I got about as many player predictions right as I did wrong.

Stupid Royals.

I'll predict that:

The bullpen is a huge plus for the Sox this year.

Podsednik is unhealthy most of the season and has his worst season for the Sox.

Gavin Floyd's wins are in the single digits and loses his job as 5th starter at some point.

Crede has an even better year than last year offensively.

Dye replicates last year's performance.

Contreras, Buehrle, Garland and Vazquez all pitch about the same as last year.

Division goes like this: Detroit 94, Sox 91, Cleveland 89, Minny 86, K.C. 71. The Wild Card comes from the East division.

Please note today's date.

There were some very good predictions last year, and good is a probably a bad term since it was a prediction that the sox werent going to do as well

anywho my predictions for this year...

White Sox bring in solid season once again, with 90 victories just good enough for the wildcard

Either Detroit or Cleveland will get on a hot start and win the division (i know its sort of cheating picking both but i jsut cant choose yet which i think will shine)

Dye will hit .310 with 36 hrs

Crede will hit .290 with 32 hrs

Floyd wins 5th starter, goes 8-12 with a 5.2 era, some spots granted to haegar and friends

bullpen in late innings dom with jenks thornton and mac, but aardsma and others will still give up more runs/games which results in a couple less wins

rotation regains form from top 4 starters and produces near but not quite the 2005 level

I'll follow similar measures as last year, beginning with predicted standings. I'm going all out with this post; even at the risk of looking ridiculous after the season concludes.

AL Central

-Detroit

-Cleveland

-Chicago

-Minnesota

-Kansas City

AL East

-Boston

-New York*

-Tampa Bay

-Toronto

-Baltimore

AL West

-Texas

-Oakland

-Anaheim

-Seattle

NL Central

-Chicago

-St. Louis*

-Milwaukee

-Cincinnati

-Pittsburgh

NL East

-Florida

-New York

-Atlanta

-Philadelphia

-Washington

NL West

-Arizona

-Los Angeles

-Colorado

-San Francisco

-San Diego

* Wild Card

World Series: Boston vs. Chicago Cubs

World Series winner: Boston

MVP AL: Michael Young

Cy Young AL: Gavin Floyd.......Johan Santana

ROY AL: Alex Gordon

MVP NL: Albert Pujols

Cy Young NL: Carlos Zambrano

ROY NL: Chris Young (unfortunately for Williams, he'll never live it down)

Now, here come the numerous (often baseless) predictions concerning the White Sox:

-In a futile attempt to salvage the season, Gavin Floyd is replaced by Haeger early June.

-Near the trading deadline, Buehrle -- who will have since pushed aside the troubles of 2007 -- is delt for one second tier pitching prospect and one low-A Jerry Owens clone. Similarily, another pitcher with a similar status to Buehrle is delt; albeit for a significantly better package.

-Anderson, Uribe fail to signficantly improve upon their offensive statistics; thus, failing to compensate for the team wide regression. Erstad assumes a large portion of CF starts by mid-June. Mackowiak replaces Podsednik, whose mediocrity is no longer tolerable.

-One shining position is the bullpen. However, the inconsistency of the starting rotation (sans Buehrle) forces Guillen to call upon the bullpen earlier and earlier. This results in starters battling through trouble to relieve our relief pitching.

-Santana still embarrasses our lineup. Perez mimmicks second half produciton in Seattle.

-Crede ignores advice of medical staff and continues to play with lingering back issues. As a result, old batting habits return to compensate for an absence of power. Credepopsup makes his triumph return to the South Side. Choke Crede appears more often as well.

Yeah, I believe that about assures a repeat of "most pessimistic" award. That's what I call a man's prediction. :) ;)

Edited by Flash Tizzle

I have the White Sox going 94-68 and winning the AL Central. Kansas City will be last, it will be a close race in this division, and beyond that who knows in terms of the Central. Should be wild and a good time.

As for the team, here are my big dozen predictions:

1. Nick Masset makes the team and has a very good year out of the bullpen.

2. Charlie Haeger, as the only guy in the pen that doesn't throw 3,000 MPH, has a very good year in long relief.

3. Gavin Floyd is just a bridge builder until John Danks is ready mid season.

4. Andy Sisco and Boone Logan aren't the 2nd lefty out of the pen we are looking for, and it leads to us trying to rush up Gio.

5. Darin Erstad stays healthy and has a season similar to his .286/.342 career BA/OBP splits, and becomes a Rowand like legend for his hustle.

6. Scott Podsednik misses more games than he plays in, and Ryan Sweeney benefits.

7. Josh Fields, keep the phone warm, Crede's back is going to be a problem.

8. Iguchi/Thome/Konerko/Dye is the best 2-5 in baseball (again)

9. Toby Hall finishes with around a .900 OPS against lefty pitching, helping us be almost adequate against it.

10. Bobby Jenks has a season much like last year.

11. Uribe draws at least a dozen walks (but not many more) and has a better year at the plate, while continuing to flash leather and avoid jail.

12. The big 4 starters stay healthy and pitch well, not to 2005 levels, but more than well enough for our power lineup and power bullpen.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Feb 21, 2007 -> 10:48 AM)
84-78, 3rd place in the central, behind Cleveland and Detroit.

The lack of a fifth starter and a major league leadoff hitter bite the sox in the ass this year.

first off, the leadoff hitter thing... not the biggest deal in the world like everyone makes it. Scotty really wasnt all that amazing in 05 ya know...

and you really think our 5th starter situation will put us behind a Detroit staff that will suffer the way we did last year from overworking pitchers (rookies no less) ESPECIALLY when our candidates for that spot don't consist of Danny Wright, Arnie Munoz, Mike Porzio, Josh Stewart etc etc etc....

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Feb 21, 2007 -> 09:41 PM)
I'm feeling confident in this team (of course, that'll all change on opening day all the way up to the end of the season).

I'm going to say this team tops the 2005 one. Overall record of 100-62 and an 11-0 run through the playoffs.

:lolhitting

Dude, you kill me.