JOSH FIELDS

bogie

On Wednesday against Colorado, the Sox will pitch Mark Buehrle, Jon Garland, John Danks, Mike MacDougal, Bobby Jenks and Matt Thornton.

Thursday vs. Arizona is Vazquez, Broadway, Sisco, Aardsma, Gonzalez and Buckvich, while at Colorado will be Phillips, Haeger, Russell, Malone, Tracey, Logan and C. Vazquez.

On Friday at Arizona, we throw Contreras, Floyd, Whisler, Day, Reynoso and Perez.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 02:42 PM)
On your high-horse after one meaningless intrasquad start. Impressive!

I've been saying the same stuff about Floyd since we traded for him. I haven't heard one positive thing about him over the past year from anyone not associated with the White Sox. I would love it if we got him as a project, and put him in AAA to start the year to prove that he can get AAA hitters out. For him to be the front-runner already worries me, especially as Ozzie tends to play favorites. You know I can't stand the old "Don't worry, Coop can fix him" mentality that some people have on here.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 02:48 PM)
There's so much about him I don't know. Did he develop a good fastball/slider upon filling out his frame? Or was it similar to other failed starters who put everything they have into a pitch when working in a relief role? How good is his stuff, really?

If he's capable of sustaining a good fastball for 6/7 innings, and what we're hearing about him is true, it'd definiely be an interesting decision for management. Obviously, he couldn't be pushed right into the 5th starters role; but perhaps for the future. Maybe he's our version of Jeremy Bonderman....

The Sox think he can be the 5th starter this year. Personally, I think his stuff is more of a power set-up man.

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 03:39 PM)
But...but....but.....they fixed his tempo! I've said this all along, but until Floyd proves he can pitch in AAA with an ERA under 5, I don't want him anywhere near the big league team. I think Haeger should get the first chance at the #5 spot, but I wouldn't be surprised if Masset makes a strong run. He has the power arm which is going to impress our organization.

4.23 good enough for you?

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/F/gavin-floyd.shtml

115 innings, 17 starts, so maybe not

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 04:34 PM)
I meant in our organization, especially with the short field in Charlotte, as that would be representative of pitching in smaller parks like the Cell.

So Charlotte's dimensions are 325-400-425, and Scranton/Wilkes-Barre's dimensions are 330-408-330. That's a difference, but not really a huge one.

And regardless of that, if his sinker/curve is working, he should be more than acceptable as a #5 starter in the majors.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 10:43 PM)
And regardless of that, if his sinker/curve is working, he should be more than acceptable as a #5 starter in the majors.

Floyd has never done anything to prove he can be a #5 starter. He's just as much of a question mark as all those busters we tried 3 years ago. Unless he clearly outpitchers the other contenders this ST, I hope he's not just handed the position by Ozzie/KW.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 03:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On your high-horse after one meaningless intrasquad start. Impressive!

I was waiting for a complete overreaction to this game before making this post.

Whiny Pessimists view point of today's game:

If a player does well at the plate and the pitcher is one of our expected starters = our starting pitching sucks

If a player does well at the plate and the pitcher is one of our minor leaguers = our minor league pitching sucks

If a player does well at the plate and the pitcher is a NRI = no big deal for the batter

If the pitcher is doing well and the batter is a minor leaguer = Not impressive for the pitcher and the minor league batter sucks

If the pitcher is doing well and the batter is a major leaguer = Our batter sucks

For those situations above it doesn't matter if he is a minor leaguer or a major leaguer.

Just ignore the negative Nancy's.

Edited by santo=dorf

I know Floyd hasn't proven crap yet...but the person on the staff that I always point back to is Thornton. The guy was supposed to be pretty much a wash up. I don't know whether it was Coop or just a change of scenery...but I probably have more confidence in this dude coming out of the pen as anybody on the staff. I say let's wait and see before we burn Floyd at the stake for being an overrated heaping pile of rat s***.

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 09:55 PM)
I've been saying the same stuff about Floyd since we traded for him. I haven't heard one positive thing about him over the past year from anyone not associated with the White Sox.

Sickels more or less had the same comments about Floyd that KW had regarding his AFL performance. Poor numbers but a good showing of 'stuff'. Dunno how much weight you put on Sickels' evaluations, but...

You know I can't stand the old "Don't worry, Coop can fix him" mentality that some people have on here.

Agreed, but you should be used to it by now. Plus, he is a pretty good pitching coach, even if overrated around these parts. His list of 'pluses' are a lot longer than his list of 'minuses'.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 11:24 PM)
I was waiting for a complete overreaction to this game before making this post.

Whiny Pessimists view point of today's game:

If a player does well at the plate and the pitcher is one of our expected starters = our starting pitching sucks

If a player does well at the plate and the pitcher is one of our minor leaguers = our minor league pitching sucks

If a player does well at the plate and the pitcher is a NRI = no big deal for the batter

If the pitcher is doing well and the batter is a minor leaguer = Not impressive for the pitcher and the minor league batter sucks

If the pitcher is doing well and the batter is a major leaguer = Our batter sucks

For those situations above it doesn't matter if he is a minor leaguer or a major leaguer.

Just ignore the negative Nancy's.

Or someone can just be making a general comment about a pitcher after some of the recent things being said about him in the press. It would be amazing if Floyd can be a better than average 5th starter. However, I don't think he has a great chance of succeeding if he starts off in the majors right away. If he is trying to become a sinker pitcher, then I would like to see him master it in the majors before throwing him right into the fire. The best news to come out of today is that Uribe is back and playing. Hopefully that situation is in the past.

Here's a question I have: why are the Sox so scared to give Fields the chance to win the LF position? With Crede in the plans for this year, and with other players who could fill in at 3rd base if needed, why not see if Fields can adapt quickly to the position?

Gavin Floyd is older than McCarthy and gave up homers at a higher pace than McCarthy did last year. He also walks a lot of guys. Hopefully he can get his act together enough to be a decent fifth starter, but I hope KW has some decent options up his sleeve in the likelihood he fails. Maybe Haeger. I don't think Danks or Gio should even be in the mix. Making the team and getting pounded and sent back to AAA screws a lot of guys up. Let them get their feet wet when the game is meaningless or your 100% certain they are ready.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 04:05 PM)
I don't want to root against Floyd, but I just have a strong feeling that if he's given an important role on this team, he's going to screw the pooch.

I've said it before and I'll say it again;

Even if Floyd screws the pooch this season...he gets 1-2 months of a shot before in June Charlie starts taking over his spot, and if Charlie doesn't do the job, by July we see Danks or Broadway up. That's all I want out of those guys if they can't give us good performances; keep the slot warm while Danks and Broadway (and maybe Sisco) have some time to work in AAA.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 02:46 PM)
Also nice to see BA get out to a decent start.

Nothing I read sounded better than BA going 2/2. He can make such a huge difference to this team just by earning a starting spot and holding onto it all year.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 07:11 PM)
Nothing I read sounded better than BA going 2/2. He can make such a huge difference to this team just by earning a starting spot and holding onto it all year.

He batted .309 last spring, and had the 2nd most ABs to Konerko. So hopefully he can translate a good ST this year into a good season.

Edited by RME JICO

I really don't think you can take anything from a performance in the first intersquad game of spring. Good or bad. These guys aren't fine tuned yet, and the intensity level is not nearly as high. As Allen Iverson said "we're talkin' about practice".

Does anyone think KW has put his neck on the line with a Gavin Floyd? Its almost universally thought in baseball that this guy really can't be considered a top prospect, and KW sees him almost as elite. In a way, I can't see JR ever pulling the plug on KW, but if the offseason moves blow up in his face and the White Sox don't contend, he may not have a choice. According to someone on another site, BP has the Sox pegged at 72-90. I can't see even a worst case scenerio playing out that badly, but if it did, someone would have to be held accountable.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 12:24 AM)
I really don't think you can take anything from a performance in the first intersquad game of spring. Good or bad. These guys aren't fine tuned yet, and the intensity level is not nearly as high. As Allen Iverson said "we're talkin' about practice".

Does anyone think KW has put his neck on the line with a Gavin Floyd? Its almost universally thought in baseball that this guy really can't be considered a top prospect, and KW sees him almost as elite. In a way, I can't see JR ever pulling the plug on KW, but if the offseason moves blow up in his face and the White Sox don't contend, he may not have a choice. According to someone on another site, BP has the Sox pegged at 72-90. I can't see even a worst case scenerio playing out that badly, but if it did, someone would have to be held accountable.

If that happens, the Sox will go into rebuilding mode next year. There's no way that Ozzie can be a manager during that time, as he's too much of a competitor. If the Sox tank this year, I think we'll have a new Manager and General Manager. I don't want this to happen at all though, as I'd like to see us continue to compete like we have for the last decade or so. A rebuilding season so soon after a WS championship would probably cut our attendance in half.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 06:24 PM)
Does anyone think KW has put his neck on the line with a Gavin Floyd? Its almost universally thought in baseball that this guy really can't be considered a top prospect, and KW sees him almost as elite.

The future success or failure of Gavin Floyd won't impact Williams' future. People already have a built in excuse if he fails of, "oh, well, you couldn't have expected much in return for Garcia, anways." Despite the fact Ken Rosenthal printed quotes from Philadelphia executives who were surprised our asking price was so low.....

Anyways --

What I feel is Floyd/Gonzalez are no worse than the two compensation draft picks we'd receive for Garcia. Atleast under the current condiditons of the CBA. What should weigh heavily in determining Williams' future, as well as the scouts advising him, is how the McCarthy deal shapes out. Couple the result of the aforementioned trade with our record these upcoming seasons, and you will probably have a good idea of where Williams stands.

Until clear conclusions are drawn, this season -- complete failure or not -- should not influence in his job security. It may tighten the proverbial noose, but not completely kill him.

Edited by Flash Tizzle