Fifth Starter Field Narrows

Heads22

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 01:01 PM)
It's pretty easy to pick apart the comparison because even when he was having rough outings Contreras had electrifying stuff and he had a track record of success with Cuba. Floyd's stuff is good, not dynamite, and he's not a dominant pitcher at any pro level.

Explain to me what 2002-04 were then? Just slightly less then dominant?

And, even as I grasp for straws here, tell me, at what level was Roy Halladay first dominant? And are Floyd's MLB numbers up to this point in each of their careers not atleast similar in the least?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 01:06 PM)
Comparing Floyd to Roy Halladay? Oh no, close the thread before this gets ugly, please. This comparision is going to hold even less water when Floyd starts in AAA and Danks has his job though.

just saying...they have comparable histories (up to this point in Floyd's career) and similar repertoire's. I completely doubt he puts up 18 win season year after year, but it's not like it's out of the realm of possibility

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 01:27 PM)
Why does every bad-but-young Sox player have to be compared to the best players in the game? Justin Morneau! Roy Halladay!

Because some of our fans give up on players so damn early and it's just a reminder of that fact that some players do indeed take time to develop.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 01:28 PM)
Because some of our fans give up on players so damn early and it's just a reminder of that fact that some players do indeed take time to develop.

I've never said I give up on him.

I just flat-out don't like him or think he can hit particularly well.

Floyd on the other hand -- comparing him to Halladay, hah.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 01:31 PM)
I've never said I give up on him.

I just flat-out don't like him or think he can hit particularly well.

Floyd on the other hand -- comparing him to Halladay, hah.

stop avoiding the question. Are their careers similar or not?

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 12:27 PM)
Why does every bad-but-young Sox player have to be compared to the best players in the game? Justin Morneau! Roy Halladay!

In 2005 Justin Moreneau sucked, He was god awful, and was getting owned by good pitchers left and right. He was almost traded away.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 01:28 PM)

Exactly. You don't exactly have to delve back into the history books to find times when Joe Crede was the most hated guy on Soxtalk. Baseball is just like anything and people learn at different paces. Just because people don't get it right away, doesn't mean the Inquisition needs to be revived.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 11:44 AM)
Exactly. You don't exactly have to delve back into the history books to find times when Joe Crede was the most hated guy on Soxtalk. Baseball is just like anything and people learn at different paces. Just because people don't get it right away, doesn't mean the Inquisition needs to be revived.

Amongst our weaponry are such diverse elements as: fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, and nice red uniforms - Oh damn!

How long on this board was "Trade Jon Garland" every other topic because he was not even a worthwhile starter.

Last I checked Floyd hasnt pitched in 1 meaningful game for the White Sox, so who cares about ST stats?

Maybe he will be great, maybe he wont be. But to throw in the towel at this point is crazy.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 02:17 PM)
How long on this board was "Trade Jon Garland" every other topic because he was not even a worthwhile starter.

Last I checked Floyd hasnt pitched in 1 meaningful game for the White Sox, so who cares about ST stats?

Maybe he will be great, maybe he wont be. But to throw in the towel at this point is crazy.

But....But... he sucked in Philly in 100 innings, so can't be good.

I am for giving Floyd a chance to show us what he can do in the majors. Philly did with him what Ozzie is doing with BA. Phillly gave Floyd 4 starts in 2004 in a September callup, and 4 starts in 2005 and 11 last year to prove himself at the major league level before shipping him to AAA. IMO, that's no way to bring along your top prospect. He has had only 19 starts at the major league level, and Philly traded him. No wonder his confidence is shot. Danks has been impressive this spring, but I think he could use a whole season at AAA. We want to be sure he is 100% ready when we bring him up. In the same regard as Floyd, sending BA to AAA is asinine. Kenny wants to gradually bring along some young, cheap players. If Ozzie is going to be so f***ing stubborn about not giving the young talent a viable shot to prove that they can play, then Kenny needs to smack some sense into him. If BA gets traded, then, even though I like Javy, trading Chris Young was a collossal mistake because we have no minor leaguer that we can give a shot to replace him, and we'll be forced to overpay on the FA market.

Edited by southsida86

From MLB.Com

Shortstop Michael Young will be sidelined for an indefinite period of time after undergoing surgery to close a laceration on his left ear ... Young was hit in the left side of his helmet by a changeup thrown by White Sox pitcher Gavin Floyd on Tuesday.

"I spent the night in the hospital and was discharged about 10:30 this morning," Young said. "I'm feeling a lot better this afternoon. I had what they called a traumatic laceration to my ear. The doctors said it was similar to if someone took scissors and cut my ear. There was some exposed tissue and cartilage and that's what they wanted to fix."

Legendary, Floyd cut a guy's ear off with a change up.