Bubble Teams

Thought this could be fun with just hours remaining until the brackets are announced...

Drexel - IN

Illinois - IN

Purdue - IN

Kansas State - OUT

Old Dominion - OUT

Florida State - OUT

Stanford - IN

Air Force - OUT

Weigh in with your take.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 12:33 PM)
Even though I think Illinois should be in, there seems to be a lot of momentum towards them being out right now.

I don't see how Purdue would be in and Illinois not in, but who knows.

As of right now Seth Davis, Clark Kellogg and Lunardi all have Illinois as being out. I'd put the most stock in Lunardi who usually gets 32 or 33 of the at-large selections correct.

That said, I just don't see Illinois being out.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 04:33 PM)
Even though I think Illinois should be in, there seems to be a lot of momentum towards them being out right now.

And based on what(Not to you, but to those leaving them out)? They have a much better resume than all of these perceieved bubble teams. They are very stong in the 3 most important factors(RPI, SOS, L10). Many of their losses came with their best players out.

Anyway, their going to be in. Their not going to leave out a top 30 RPI team from a major conference out.

as prejudiced as i am, illinois should be in, the stats are there, i mena just look at michigan state, yes they had the hardest sched in the big ten but they went what, 2-9 on the road? thats pathetic, illinois went 8-8, they beat indiana twice, michigan state once, and took care of business at home as usual, they have 23 wins

there losses are as follows:

vs. Xavier

vs. Maryland

at Arizona (in phoenix)

vs. Wisconsin

vs. Ohio State

at Mich State

at Iowa

at michigan

at Indiana

at Purdue

vs. Wisconsin (at chicago)

only the xavier and michigan losses looks bad to me, every other one is reasonable, even xavier went to their conference finals and michigan was a bubble team for a long time and in loaded with seniors 9even though they do suck :D )

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 04:40 PM)
And based on what(Not to you, but to those leaving them out)? They have a much better resume than all of these perceieved bubble teams. They are very stong in the 3 most important factors(RPI, SOS, L10). Many of their losses came with their best players out.

Anyway, their going to be in. Their not going to leave out a top 30 RPI team from a major conference out.

Based on what the most accurate bracketologist is stating. I have to ask you though.....which losses are you referring to with their best guys out? Pruitt and Carter have been their two healthiest players this year, and they're their best guys also.

I really do wonder what type of connections Lunardi has to the committee, as his reversals of Illinois and Stanford seem suspicious.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 05:14 PM)
Not really sure what the deal is with anyone having Stanford over Illinois.

But we shall see.

Stanford has been campaigning for a week about how a lot of their bad losses came when their best guy, B. Lopez, was out.

And LOL at Lunardi with Kansas State in and Illinois out.

I can't find one thing pointing to KState>Ill.

-Much better RPI

-Wayyyyyy better SOS

-Better win % vs. RPI top 50

-We have 0 100+ losses they have 3

-Better record in last 10

What the f*** am I missing?

Edited by WHarris1

Based on what the most accurate bracketologist is stating. I have to ask you though.....which losses are you referring to with their best guys out? Pruitt and Carter have been their two healthiest players this year, and they're their best guys also.

I know Randle missed atleast three of their losses. Yeah, he isn't Carter or Pruitt, but he could have made a difference in atleast one of those games. Come to think of it, he would have been a perfect match-up for chase Budinger. Jamar Smith was another who sat out in that game, but he's not going to count at this point anyway. Upon further review, their better players have played in their losses, but injuries have still affected this ballclub, no doubt.

I really do wonder what type of connections Lunardi has to the committee, as his reversals of Illinois and Stanford seem suspicious.

I was thinking the same thing. There's not really much that suggests that Stanford should even be on the bubble, let alone in. Not to mention he changes his bracket every 5 minutes on SS when basically nothing happens to affect the bubble teams(Although this might not bet he case today).

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 12:41 PM)
The only thing that makes Kstate more appealiing is the win at Texas.

thats a tough call for the committee.

How does a win @ Texas possibly make up like 50 SOS spots, 25 RPI spots and a whole heap of other criteria?

QUOTE(Brian @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 05:47 PM)
I don't know much about Stanford, but they are 18-12. Teams with better records should get in over them. What is their RPI and such?

I'll post what I did in another thread:

18 wins

RPI of 66

12 losses

4-6 in their last ten

4-8 against the RPI top 50

1st round conference tourney loss

Home losses to Santa Clara, Gonzaga, and California. Loss @ Washington. Oh yeah, did I mention they lost by 35 to Air Force at home?

How teams like Stanford and Kansas State are even being considered is beyond me.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 12:50 PM)
How teams like Stanford and Kansas State are even being considered is beyond me.

I'm just holding out hope the committee can see through all this bulls*** unlike all the "experts".

Think that is reasonable to hope, or should I expect disappointment?

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 12:50 PM)
I'll post what I did in another thread:

18 wins

RPI of 66

12 losses

4-6 in their last ten

4-8 against the RPI top 50

1st round conference tourney loss

Home losses to Santa Clara, Gonzaga, and California. Loss @ Washington. Oh yeah, did I mention they lost by 35 to Air Force at home?

If you're going to use the injury excuse for Illinois you must for Stanford as well. They were missing Brook Lopez at the beginning of the year(when they got blown out by Air Force) and they were missing Andrew Goods for this bad stretch they've had, now they're both back. They also have an insane amount of good wins compared to other bubble teams: Texas Tech, @ Virginia(only team to win there this season), Washington State, USC, UCLA, Oregon. They also have 0 bad losses(just like the Illini). Stanford belongs in the field.

If something is going to keep Illinois out, it's the lack of a marquee win. That simple.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 12:58 PM)
If you're going to use the injury excuse for Illinois you must for Stanford as well. They were missing Brook Lopez at the beginning of the year(when they got blown out by Air Force) and they were missing Andrew Goods for this bad stretch they've had, now they're both back. They also have an insane amount of good wins compared to other bubble teams: Texas Tech, @ Virginia(only team to win there this season), Washington State, USC, UCLA, Oregon. They also have 0 bad losses(just like the Illini). Stanford belongs in the field.

If something is going to keep Illinois out, it's the lack of a marquee win. That simple.

BINGO

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 12:58 PM)

Just 1 of many criteria, but apparently this year it's the only one.

I just have no idea how 1 very nice win in KState's case can make up for so much suck assness in other areas.

Or Drexel, 3 nice wins but 4th place in a mid major conference...

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 01:05 PM)
Just 1 of many criteria, but apparently this year it's the only one.

No, no. I never said that, but if they do get left out, that will be the reason. All their other numbers are good, there is no doubting that, however I do believe that having a marquee win is a huge factor, and Illinois just doesn't have that. Calm down bro, I know you're stressing over this but nothing has been released yet. Don't let Lunardi make you sad. :P

If only Toney Douglas wasn't hurt for the Maryland, Va Tech, UVA and Ga Tech games. Those were close and I have no doubt that we would have won at least two of those with Toney healthy. However, fate decided to break his hand at the wrong time and now we're out.

At least I have a number 1 seed and some NIT home games to look forward to.