Roberts signs...is Iguchi comparable?

bigruss

Brian Roberts is reportedly close to signing a 2 year 14 mill contract extension with the orioles, so with Iguchi becoming a free agent next year what do you guys think he'll get? i think around 3 years at 5 ill per

QUOTE(knightni @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 09:13 PM)
Roberts has a better offensive history and more speed.

And better defensively (at least according to Tango's 2006 Scouting Report). And younger.

If Iguchi's agent asked for three years at $5 million per, I'm fairly certain that David Hahn or Kenny Williams would walk out of the room laughing.

3/$4 seems more reasonable, but even that might be a little high.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 05:21 PM)
And better defensively (at least according to Tango's 2006 Scouting Report). And younger.

If Iguchi's agent asked for three years at $5 million per, I'm fairly certain that David Hahn or Kenny Williams would walk out of the room laughing.

Its Rick Hahn, and these same guys gave a LF who has no power, doesn't get on base much, gets caught stealing a bunch, and should have his mitt confiscated $3 million this year. If Iguchi has a good solid year, $5 million in not unreasonable.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 05:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Roberts only has one year that really stands out. Durham got plenty of money this offseason despite being 35 years old.

I think $15 million over 3 years is fair.

I think people are underselling Iguchi on his ability. He's clearly got the talent to produce better numbers than he has, it's just that you don't often get those numbers out of the 2-hole in the lineup. Particularly when you're batting after a leadoff spot that was bad most of the season. In addition, Iguchi has the most amazing defensive play on record. That should get him at least 4 million.

Also, Iguchi has like 10 home runs through the month of april in my 2k7 game. That projects to a loooot of home runs. If that isn't worth $5 mil per year, I don't know what is

QUOTE(ScottyDo @ Mar 15, 2007 -> 10:20 AM)
In addition, Iguchi has the most amazing defensive play on record. That should get him at least 4 million.

I'm sure you're being sarcastic, but it'd be a great deal to make money because you tripped. I should try that sometime.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Mar 15, 2007 -> 02:09 AM)
Roberts only has one year that really stands out. Durham got plenty of money this offseason despite being 35 years old.

I think $15 million over 3 years is fair.

Roberts was pretty comparable to Iguchi last year, except Roberts stole 36 bases.

I don't think Durham is a fair comparison -- he just came off of a year in which he slugged .538. I understand that his defense is pretty bad at this point, but he's out of Roberts and Iguchi's league offensively.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 05:59 PM)
If he signs for 3 years at $4 mil/year, I think we got ourselves a decent deal. I think he could be in for a big third year though, so it might be a little more like $5-$5.5/year.

Placido Polanco gets like 4.7 M per year with the Tigers, Iguchi is worth somewhere right around there. Two years 9.5 Mil with an option for a 3rd at 5.5 Mil should get the job done. By the way that 3 year 21 Mil deal Matsui got with the Mets was a joke and way way overpriced. I think that pretty evident by the the new 1 year 1 Mil deal he signed with the rockies.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Mar 15, 2007 -> 09:24 AM)
I'm sure you're being sarcastic, but it'd be a great deal to make money because you tripped. I should try that sometime.

He only stumbled because the ball had so much spin/english on it. If he wouldn't have adjusted there would have been no play.

Alright, I haven't been able to get in here but I thought this was a great move by the O's. I also think it is ridiculous to compare Iguchi and Roberts.

No offense to Iguchi and I realize two years ago was a complete career year, but regardless Roberts is a better ball player. He's as good of a hitter as Iguchi, a better defensive 2nd baseman (albeit not by that much) and a superior base-runner/base stealer.

Roberts is one of those guys I would have loved to pickup. That said I like Iguchi a lot and he's a very solid 2nd baseman (i put him in that Adam Kennedy mode to where he's above average as 2nd baseman goes but very underappreciated).