Music Thread

greasywheels121

QUOTE (The Critic @ Aug 17, 2008 -> 08:02 AM)
Sorry you had a bad time, dude.

I don't like the Allman Brothers, so I didn't want to say anything before you went.

Did the Allman Brothers' hardcore fans seem to enjoy the show?

I saw Blues Traveler once, and it was the same thing - a ton of "noodling" turning 4 minute songs into 14 minute snoozefests.

I hate that crap.

It actually seemed like more people were there for the opening act, Bob Weir and RatDog. And yes, they seemed to like it. Mostly to do with what Leonard said. It was awful, though.

They played Melissa and Whipping Post. That was it.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there are any fellow geezers on here, the release date for the new AC/DC album, "Black Ice," has been set for October 20th. It will be sold only through the band's website and at Walmart (!?!). A tour has been announced, but no dates have been scheduled.

THUNDER !!!! :headbang :headbang :headbang

Short reviews of each band last night:

Testament - their sound was a little muddy, but they had great energy and their set was too short (half-hour).

Motorhead - their sound was also a little muddy, but they KILLED. They were excellent, energetic, and their set was much too short for me (45 minutes). My favorite band of the night by far.

Heaven & Hell - their sound was much cleaner, but they were DULL as hell. They played well, and Dio can still sing his ass off, but I'm just not a big Black Sabbath fan, so their set was much longer than I'd have liked.

Judas Priest - they sounded really good, but played too many "deep cuts" for my liking. Halford did indeed look like a baked potato in his long silver jacket, and he spent much of the night crouched over while singing. It's an odd style, and I've read that he crouches over to read a teleprompter with the lyrics on it.

Overall I'd have to say that I wish I could see Motorhead on the upcoming Volcom tour with the Misfits, Airbourne and Valient Thorr instead. A much more fitting tour and a lot more fun lineup for my tastes.

Oh - the crowd was so small that the lawn was closed. Everyone with lawn tickets got pavilion "upgrades", and the pavilion still wasn't full. It would have been a decent crowd at the Allstate, but not at the FMBA.

From the Ask and you Shall recieve file.....

Country singer Pat Green asks for cold one, gets knocked out cold

BROOKLYN, Mich. — Pat Green may think twice the next time before asking for a cold one.

The last time he did it, the Texas-born country singer-songwriter was knocked out cold.

Green performed Saturday night at the Michigan International Speedway after NASCAR's Carfax 250 race. He's best known for the 2003 hit "Wave on Wave.

The Jackson Citizen Patriot reports that late in his show, he shouted, "Anyone got a beer?

A can of suds suddenly soared from the audience onto the stage.

Then a second can from the crowd hit Green between the eyes, knocking him out.

Medical personnel treated him at the track.

A phone message seeking an update on Green's condition was left Tuesday at his publicist's office in Nashville, Tenn.

:lolhitting :lolhitting

Here's the single Metallica is releasing to radio, "The Day That Never Comes":

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermo...wsitemID=103278

I'm still not excited.

I'm bummed out, I was really hoping for something interesting from them.

It gets a little better about 5 minutes into the song when they start riffing, but it's not anything amazing or purchase-worthy.

James still sounds like a yodeling twat. I HATE the way he sings.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 01:43 PM)
Here's the single Metallica is releasing to radio, "The Day That Never Comes":

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermo...wsitemID=103278

I'm still not excited.

I'm bummed out, I was really hoping for something interesting from them.

It gets a little better about 5 minutes into the song when they start riffing, but it's not anything amazing or purchase-worthy.

James still sounds like a yodeling twat. I HATE the way he sings.

Are you kidding me?

I heard this song on the radio at work today and loved it, especially the ending of it

I really like how it had a "One" feel to it, and supposedly its one of the more tamer songs on the new CD.. I am expecting it to be pretty damn good

Edited by Shadows

QUOTE (Shadows @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 01:39 AM)
Are you kidding me?

I heard this song on the radio at work today and loved it, especially the ending of it

I really like how it had a "One" feel to it, and supposedly its one of the more tamer songs on the new CD.. I am expecting it to be pretty damn good

I'm glad you liked it.

I don't like it at all.

The drums still sound like s***, very annoying sound to them. And James' warbling, of course, I can't stand.

The ending is kind of good, but it takes almost 5 minutes of bad to get to 2 minutes of kind of good.

To me, it's a lot like the new Motley Crue - trying to recapture an old sound and "feel" and falling short.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 01:37 AM)
I'm glad you liked it.

I don't like it at all.

The drums still sound like s***, very annoying sound to them. And James' warbling, of course, I can't stand.

The ending is kind of good, but it takes almost 5 minutes of bad to get to 2 minutes of kind of good.

To me, it's a lot like the new Motley Crue - trying to recapture an old sound and "feel" and falling short.

The drums sounding like s*** doesn't surprise me. Lars is a terrible drummer.

QUOTE (Fotop @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 09:19 AM)
The drums sounding like s*** doesn't surprise me. Lars is a terrible drummer.

Yeah, I expect the actual playing to be bad, but I thought after the Trash Can SoundTM of the drums on St. Anger, that MAYBE they'd have tried a little harder to get a decent sound from the drums this time. It's a distracting sound and it just serves to again draw attention to the sub-par drumming.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 02:37 AM)
I'm glad you liked it.

I don't like it at all.

The song is 8 mins long, the first 4 mins are ok the last 4 are awesome imo.

QUOTE (Shadows @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 10:34 AM)
The song is 8 mins long, the first 4 mins are ok the last 4 are awesome imo.

Then I revise my estimate to 5 1/2 of bad leading into 2 1/2 of kind of good.

:D

Seriously, I'm glad you like it. I know you're not alone - I've seen a lot of positive comments online. A lot of negative ones, too, but that's opinion for you.

I hold no ill will towards Metallica. They were my favorite band for a LONG time, during my favorite time of my life, and I remember very fondly the 5 times I saw them in concert. They just haven't recorded anything I've been interested in for well over a decade now.

I'm sure the disc will do fairly well, and I'm more certain that their shows will sell VERY well.

I will hold off final judgment until I hear the entire disc, but I haven't liked what I've heard so far.

Being "better than St. Anger" isn't a compliment in my mind, it's a foregone conclusion. If they recorded something worse than St. Anger, they should be forced to chew their own hands off.

I was hoping for much better than St. Anger, and I wanted to believe that they were capable of a "return to form", but my hope is dimming.

Edited by The Critic

QUOTE (The Critic @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 10:16 AM)
Yeah, I expect the actual playing to be bad, but I thought after the Trash Can SoundTM of the drums on St. Anger, that MAYBE they'd have tried a little harder to get a decent sound from the drums this time. It's a distracting sound and it just serves to again draw attention to the sub-par drumming.

Agreed. The sounding like sh** part doesn't help hide the fact that he's awful. And this is coming from a kid who claimed Metallica as his favorite band for a very long time, it's just the more I learned how to play drums the more I realized Lars is the worst.

Prime example of the sound problem, to me, is that it sounds like they put the snare drum in the middle of the grand canyon and recorded someone hitting it as loud as possible, paying keen attention to all the echo. It's really, really dumb.

The last 4 minutes of that song sound like a bunch of guys who forgot how to play Metal and decided to consult the Heavy Metal Manual 101. Uninspired and tired sounding. The first 5 minutes sound like a band cashing in on two of their most beloved "Metal ballad" tunes, "One" and "Fade To Black".

I have no doubt the Metallica faithful will rejoice though, and I have no doubt the diehard Metalhead crowds will still yawn.

Edited by Kid Gleason

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 23, 2008 -> 01:04 PM)
Looks like I'll be in town for Sept 9th-16th. Any good shows in town during that time?

I can't recommend anything.

The Q101 Block Party is happening, but I think all the bands on that bill are weak.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 23, 2008 -> 12:04 PM)
Looks like I'll be in town for Sept 9th-16th. Any good shows in town during that time?

There are good looking shows on September 8th (Spiritualized) and 17th (Cut Copy or Low), but nothing in your time window. That's too bad.

On another note, two nights ago I saw Joanna Newsom with the CSO. I would put it on the short list (With Radiohead and Wilco) for my favorite concerts ever.

For a band who doesn't like people stealing music, seems like Metallica has "borrowed" their share of it in the past:

This:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE5M4PTTKjQ

plus this:

= Sanitarium

and what does THIS sound like?

http://www.last.fm/music/Excel/_/Tapping+I...+Emotional+Void

The middle riff to THIS sounds just a little like the end of Fade To Black:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6OLEPaIMhA

Interesting....

QUOTE (farmteam @ Aug 25, 2008 -> 01:02 AM)
I'm a Local H fan, other than that I'm not really interested.

I'm a Local H fan too, but considering the price of the ticket and the rest of the line up, I'll probably pass.

The Walkmen and Stereophonics (separate shows) are at Metro that week. I like them both, but has anyone seen either one live?

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 25, 2008 -> 12:10 PM)
I'm a Local H fan too, but considering the price of the ticket and the rest of the line up, I'll probably pass.

The Walkmen and Stereophonics (separate shows) are at Metro that week. I like them both, but has anyone seen either one live?

Never seen Stereophonics, but I love the song Dakota.

I only kind of like anything else by them, though.

If you like their stuff, I think you should go just cuz it's at Metro.