Music Thread

greasywheels121

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 31, 2010 -> 08:17 PM)
The selling out of Green Day is now official American Idiot the musical? Really? :chair

I'm reserving judgement. American Idiot is already very much a rock opera, so a transition to a stage production is no real stretch.

Bands like The Who pulled off their musical theater adaptations with varying success and degrees of integrity, but I respect Townsend's decision to do by his catalog as he sees best. I'll do teh same for Green Day and wait to see how hay pull it off.

Taking the same approach with the Bono/Edge Spider-Man musical, but I saw recently that that endeavor is running into snags.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Cali @ Jan 31, 2010 -> 12:01 AM)
Song of the moment...

Spoon - "Goodnight Laura"

f***ing AMAZING...

It's damn good, isn't it? I think i prefer the more hook-based songs like Got Nuffin and Written in Reverse becasue they're as classic Spoon as you're going to get, but the whole album is really solid.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jan 31, 2010 -> 10:35 PM)
It's damn good, isn't it? I think i prefer the more hook-based songs like Got Nuffin and Written in Reverse becasue they're as classic Spoon as you're going to get, but the whole album is really solid.

Yeah, another great album overall. First day I had it I listened to it a good 4 or 5 times in a row.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 31, 2010 -> 07:17 PM)
The selling out of Green Day is now official American Idiot the musical? Really? :chair

Agreed.

They haven't been a punk band for a long time, but that was about the least "punk" thing they could do.

I know some people will say "the punk thing to do is to do something that's not seen as punk", but it wasn't even interesting, it was really just lame and flat and typical.

If it's that bad with them performing the song along with the actors, I shudder at the thought of a Green Day musical without them playing.

Awful.

I've been listening to a bunch of Ween lately, especially The Mollusk. I generally like most Ween anyway, but the Mollusk is a very good album. I think it's more accessible than some of their other music (especially Pure Guava), and makes for a very enjoyable listen. Buckingham Green is a great song, probably my favorite Ween song and one of my favorites from any band.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 08:17 AM)
Yeah, another great album overall. First day I had it I listened to it a good 4 or 5 times in a row.

Spoon really doesn't get enough credit for some of the innovative stuff they've been doing. I know that Wilco has been doing it to a much greater degree, but Spoon is another one of those bands that's not content to sit on its laurels. Gab Ga Ga Ga was a great album, and a lot of bands would have made it a formula. Spoon chose to go in another direction, I really respect that.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 05:27 PM)
i think the last two wilco albums are the epitomy of sitting on your laurels.

I think you can argue about the quality of Sky Blue Sky and Wilco (The Album), but i do think it's different enough from their previous works to be considered a departure or an evolution.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 08:21 AM)
Agreed.

They haven't been a punk band for a long time, but that was about the least "punk" thing they could do.

I know some people will say "the punk thing to do is to do something that's not seen as punk", but it wasn't even interesting, it was really just lame and flat and typical.

If it's that bad with them performing the song along with the actors, I shudder at the thought of a Green Day musical without them playing.

Awful.

The only semi popular artist that did the punk thing by not doing the punk thing was Jonathan Richman deciding to do love songs. Everyone else just sold out.

Didn't Green Day "sell out" when they released Dookie? Since that was a major label debut?

I f***ing hate that term "sell out", it's a term for pissed off teenagers whose favorite band suddenly has more fans, as if that's a bad thing for THE BAND. It's not all about you, you little s***.

I LOVE experimentation, and expanding your sound. I will follow most if not all bands I like into doing what they want to do. If it sucks, it sucks, oh well, I don't brandish them with some high school insult. Very few bands can pull off doing the same exact album sound over and over with out it coming off as pathetic and stale. Nothing sadder than being in a band in your mid-40's trying to do/act what you did in your early 20's.

Perfect example, I have no problem with the band The Cure, never been a huge fan but I dig their hits. Robert Smith is 50 and at least 100 lbs heavier than he was in the 80's yet still rocks the smeared lipstick, and messy (now thinning) hair. It makes me laugh that he STILL HAS to look like that.

QUOTE (Felix @ Feb 2, 2010 -> 04:48 PM)
Is it really called expanding your sound when you go to bland, boring pop?

That's all subjective to the listener.

If the band wants to try something new, and different from what they did prior, they're gonna do what they're gonna do. Some will like it, some wont.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Feb 2, 2010 -> 01:45 PM)
The last album didn't do much for me, but I wouldn't consider adding a guitar player like Nels Cline resting on their laurels.

Nels Cline is the worst thing that could've ever happened to Wilco. Jay Bennett, a lesser "technical" guitar player, challenged the band and Tweedy, and the dysfunction clearly put out their best records. By contrast, with Cline they get a nice glossy 'can play a lot of notes' guitar player that makes the most disgusting, Kenny-G esque riffs and solos. And Wilco has decided that their albums are just to make some nice pleasant live songs. Pleasant/boring, whatever.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 3, 2010 -> 08:34 AM)
Nels Cline is the worst thing that could've ever happened to Wilco. Jay Bennett, a lesser "technical" guitar player, challenged the band and Tweedy, and the dysfunction clearly put out their best records. By contrast, with Cline they get a nice glossy 'can play a lot of notes' guitar player that makes the most disgusting, Kenny-G esque riffs and solos. And Wilco has decided that their albums are just to make some nice pleasant live songs. Pleasant/boring, whatever.

I've never listened to Kenny G, so I wouldn't be able to compare anything to him. I am assuming that you have not heard the band live with Nels, because the shows I've seen with him have been anything but pleasant/boring.

I agree on Jay Bennett, Summerteeth is still my favorite album, but if you've seen the movie, its pretty obvious why he got kicked out.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Feb 3, 2010 -> 10:49 PM)
I've never listened to Kenny G, so I wouldn't be able to compare anything to him. I am assuming that you have not heard the band live with Nels, because the shows I've seen with him have been anything but pleasant/boring.

I agree on Jay Bennett, Summerteeth is still my favorite album, but if you've seen the movie, its pretty obvious why he got kicked out.

I've seen pre nels and post nels and the only difference is the awful nels era's songs I have to listen to. Wooheee he can play a lot of notes.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 3, 2010 -> 10:27 AM)
I think Jeff Tweedy and Jay Farrar need to kiss and make up. Than reform Uncle Tupelo.

You should check this out. Jay Farrar and Ben Gibbard did the soundtrack for a movie about Jack Kerouac. It's called "One Fast Move or I'm Gone." It's actually really damn good.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 3, 2010 -> 09:58 PM)
You should check this out. Jay Farrar and Ben Gibbard did the soundtrack for a movie about Jack Kerouac. It's called "One Fast Move or I'm Gone." It's actually really damn good.

I listened to some samples of this on Amazon. Sounds pretty good, might have to pick it up.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 3, 2010 -> 07:08 PM)
I've seen pre nels and post nels and the only difference is the awful nels era's songs I have to listen to. Wooheee he can play a lot of notes.

Go listen to Kicking Television again and then tell me where the band is "pleasant/boring". And then tell where you think Nels sounds "disgusting and Kenny G-esque."

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Feb 4, 2010 -> 08:28 PM)
Go listen to Kicking Television again and then tell me where the band is "pleasant/boring". And then tell where you think Nels sounds "disgusting and Kenny G-esque."

Their live shows with Nels have been great. Their albums with him have been incredibly boring but I wouldn't say it is his fault.