Music Thread

greasywheels121

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listening to his new Eminem album.

First half was pretty crappy, but the second half has been very, very good. Definitely this best since Eminem Show.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 07:14 PM)
Picked it up today, I'll be giving it a good listen through in a little while.

Very good album. IMO it's leaps & bounds better than "Blue Collar".

The Eminem album is also very good as well. The production isn't a whole lot to write home about, but it's shades of the old Em which is very good to hear. I'd give it a solid 8.5/10

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 01:50 PM)
hood internet on saturday at do division was the s***.

Hood Internet opening for Tobacco at the Empty Bottle was quite possibly the worst live set I've ever had to endure.

Edited by goblue5699

bmags, I just guess music is ONLY a matter of taste and what hits each of our individual spirits. That LCD SS you were raving about was meh to me. I really really liked a couple songs on there but most of it I have been trying to figure out what would draw you to it so strongly. Most of it was just something a bunch of bands would have done in the late 80's.

Critics are pointless in music more than any other thing.

I don't really have time to get into it as I'm about to head to work. I'm not sour, I just don't care. You strike me as someone who probably just recently really got into how much music they could get on the internet and is discovering a whole bunch of s*** and wants to talk about it, and inevitably trying to organize, classify, and justify where this music fits and what makes what good and what bad, but at some point you'll move beyond that and give up because:

"Most of it was just something a bunch of bands would have done in the late 80's. "

isn't criticism. Bands in the eighties did use synths and bass. ANd in the eighties bands were playing songs with guitars and drums just like bands in the seventies. And shockingly bands in the seventies were playing blues riffs and singing a lot like bands in the 50s.

Everything has an origin. Most bands are unabashedly embracing the sounds they grew up with and reconstructing in their new point of view. The shocking thing about Murphy's project and a lot of bands I like right now, is that in a time where everyone is competing for ears I'd imagine that music might go bigger, and be as cheesy as some early 80s pop bands. But the thing that makes Sound of Silver and This is Happening... and the s/t so good is how restrained it is. Each song has 3 memorable components, drums bass synth...they don't blend together, they sync up. that weird synth going on in "all i want" that slowly builds until the end where it's all you can think about and lust after is pretty much LCD's calling card - see the ridiculous piano in all my friends, which starts off annoying then gets beat into you until you love it. Add to that the honest, humorous, memorable lyrics and that's what people like about LCD soundsystem. Not that they are groundbreaking, but that they make really good pop songs. Except most of their singles.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 08:18 AM)
I don't really have time to get into it as I'm about to head to work. I'm not sour, I just don't care. You strike me as someone who probably just recently really got into how much music they could get on the internet and is discovering a whole bunch of s*** and wants to talk about it, and inevitably trying to organize, classify, and justify where this music fits and what makes what good and what bad, but at some point you'll move beyond that and give up because:

"Most of it was just something a bunch of bands would have done in the late 80's. "

isn't criticism. Bands in the eighties did use synths and bass. ANd in the eighties bands were playing songs with guitars and drums just like bands in the seventies. And shockingly bands in the seventies were playing blues riffs and singing a lot like bands in the 50s.

Everything has an origin. Most bands are unabashedly embracing the sounds they grew up with and reconstructing in their new point of view. The shocking thing about Murphy's project and a lot of bands I like right now, is that in a time where everyone is competing for ears I'd imagine that music might go bigger, and be as cheesy as some early 80s pop bands. But the thing that makes Sound of Silver and This is Happening... and the s/t so good is how restrained it is. Each song has 3 memorable components, drums bass synth...they don't blend together, they sync up. that weird synth going on in "all i want" that slowly builds until the end where it's all you can think about and lust after is pretty much LCD's calling card - see the ridiculous piano in all my friends, which starts off annoying then gets beat into you until you love it. Add to that the honest, humorous, memorable lyrics and that's what people like about LCD soundsystem. Not that they are groundbreaking, but that they make really good pop songs. Except most of their singles.

LOL. Now thats more like it!

You strike me as someone who is like the guys (Jack Black and Todd Louiso) in the movie High Fidelity that worked in the record store.. In fact, exactly like them.

Yeah you are right. I have just recently had the priveledge to notice that there is music I can find on the internet. It was a groundbreaking f***ing moment in my life.

The truth of it all is that you obviously have a passion for music ( like myself,but you wouldnt believe that) and I think you are great at writing about it and expressing what you hear along with making yourself sound over educated and enlightened. Your musical arrogance makes me chuckle when I read it. My musical ignorance probably makes you chuckle if you even bother to read what I have to say about what I like.

Not to sound like an asshole and I dont want to seem like I am attacking you but the stuff you and some others refer me too is pretty bad music. And I fall into the hype of it everytime .

sure, let me remind you that you've been following me around for like 2 months. Very little of my comments in this thread are directed at anyone but bigsqwert. Your comments toward me remind me of someone trying to prove to themselves their musical tastes are validated, I don't really care for those arguments. If you want to talk about shows, music news, etc. towards me, fine, but don't expect any more responses to you telling me every time I post something "yeah that's not good, i have an opinion". Because, as I said, I don't care.

I also have enjoyed the new LCD Soundsystem. Haven't listened to their work extensively, but I've heard their latest album a couple of times and have liked it. Seems to have a Brian Eno feel to it, which is never a bad thing.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 06:06 PM)
My ear was itching. WTF is going on in here?

From what I gather, even though I don't directly comment on others music posts very often, I should not post about musical acts that I like because Shipps doesn't like them.

Alright then bmags, you think I have been "following you"?...great. Really full of your self then because that is not the case in least bit. Just random critical music talk on a message board.

Dont worry I wont bother you with a music thought ever again.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 01:06 PM)
My ear was itching. WTF is going on in here?

And oh yeah. Digging the new LCD Soundsystem.

*exits stage left*

I hate every molecule of your being.

:lol: