Music Thread

greasywheels121

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We ran into Henry Rollins at the Dino show last night. He was right in the crowd, not hidden away in the VIP booth which was pretty cool. He's a lot shorter than I imagined, maybe 5'8, but his neck is as thick as my waist. Then we saw him again outside and asked him what he thought of the show. "Duuuuude that show was frickin' inssssssane" and he jumped in his car and took off.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 14, 2007 -> 11:52 AM)
We ran into Henry Rollins at the Dino show last night. He was right in the crowd, not hidden away in the VIP booth which was pretty cool. He's a lot shorter than I imagined, maybe 5'8, but his neck is as thick as my waist. Then we saw him again outside and asked him what he thought of the show. "Duuuuude that show was frickin' inssssssane" and he jumped in his car and took off.

That man is responsible for the single most boring show I have ever seen in my entire life. It was in '86 for the forst incarnation of The Henry Rollins Band. I swear, half the club left, and the entire other half was either sitting on the floor of the club, or actually lying down we were soooo bored. His spoken word is pretty funny (though I prefer Jello), but as a musician, he is one of the most overrated acts out there.

He was GREAT in the movie Feast though.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ May 14, 2007 -> 12:41 PM)
That man is responsible for the single most boring show I have ever seen in my entire life. It was in '86 for the forst incarnation of The Henry Rollins Band. I swear, half the club left, and the entire other half was either sitting on the floor of the club, or actually lying down we were soooo bored. His spoken word is pretty funny (though I prefer Jello), but as a musician, he is one of the most overrated acts out there.

He was GREAT in the movie Feast though.

I agree, The Henry Rollins band blew, but Black Flag was the s***. Nowadays I like to hear him talk about the state of music in general, he's still very much in touch with what's going on and he sees through all the B.S.

I also enjoy his show on the IFC.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 14, 2007 -> 01:18 PM)
I agree, The Henry Rollins band blew, but Black Flag was the s***. Nowadays I like to hear him talk about the state of music in general, he's still very much in touch with what's going on and he sees through all the B.S.

I also enjoy his show on the IFC.

Henry Rollins = Ice-T.

Both like to play off their "cred" (whether street or punk), but at the same time each will whore themselves out with no problem.

I was never into Black Flag, and I only like "Liar" by Rollins Band.

I'm sure I'd like Rollins' books, but I heard "Get In The Van" on audio and I wasn't crazy about it. It sounded like Rollins was reading someone else's book, rather than talking about his experiences. A very monotonous and listless reading.

I do like Rollins' IFC show, though.

I dont know if anyone has seen marilyn mansons new video, "When the Heart Guides the Hand", but it features his new 19 year old (Manson is 38 years old) girlfriend/fiancee Evan Rachel Wood (starred in the Movie 13), and they are truly having sex on camera. You can see the video on www.wwtdd.com

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 15, 2007 -> 01:48 AM)
I don't own any of his music, nor have I ever seen him in concert, but I like Manson. He's a really bright guy and a master at manipulating the media. I'm glad he is in rock music today.

I own almost all of his music, and I love his niche that he has carved out. Still, it looks like he is making love to a 12 year old.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 15, 2007 -> 07:18 AM)
I own almost all of his music, and I love his niche that he has carved out. Still, it looks like he is making love to a 12 year old.

That's exactly where the shock value is. It's yet another carefully calculated move.

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ May 15, 2007 -> 02:46 AM)
Ouch, pitchfork gives Sky Blue Sky only a 5.4

thats insulting, the album maybe doesn't live up to expectations or potential, but its not bad

I think reading that awful review should tell you how little you should care. Mitchum is such a bumbling idiot in all his reviews.

From what i've heard and read it sounds like linkin park has gone emo, despite this i will still buy the cd as they are one of my favorite bands. I know a lot of people don't like them though.

QUOTE(bmags @ May 15, 2007 -> 03:20 PM)
I think reading that awful review should tell you how little you should care. Mitchum is such a bumbling idiot in all his reviews.

thats true, the guy seems disappointed based on his own expectations of potential, not the songs themselves, which I think are good

i find more laughable the now backlash for wilco as if they were always this just average band that tried desperately to advance past their own limitations, like some simon birch playing baseball moment, and now everyone just sees they're true colors. It's all absurd, pitchfork puts so much damn pressure on bands they built up themselves (not that they did to wilco) to deliver exactly what they want, usually albums that aren't too popular to get wide appeal but not too experimental to where its like, they are trying to hide in the limelight. It's all so funny and absurd and people are actually influenced by it. And the f***ing point system, ha. Yes, lily allens album is better than wilco's despite having only 2 nice pop songs on it. By two whole points. My opinion has changed.

I seen Minus the Bear at the Beatkitchen last night.Awesome show except for the 100 degree temp in that place.There new stuff is pretty stellar also its a little bit more psychedelic.

QUOTE(bmags @ May 16, 2007 -> 02:09 AM)
i find more laughable the now backlash for wilco as if they were always this just average band that tried desperately to advance past their own limitations, like some simon birch playing baseball moment, and now everyone just sees they're true colors. It's all absurd, pitchfork puts so much damn pressure on bands they built up themselves (not that they did to wilco) to deliver exactly what they want, usually albums that aren't too popular to get wide appeal but not too experimental to where its like, they are trying to hide in the limelight. It's all so funny and absurd and people are actually influenced by it. And the f***ing point system, ha. Yes, lily allens album is better than wilco's despite having only 2 nice pop songs on it. By two whole points. My opinion has changed.

"The artistic failure or success of Sky Blue Sky should not be evaluated on the scale of how progressive it is, but I fear it will be, which is a shame because the album is solid in accomplishing its own objectives. "

This guy from PopMatters is right in line with you

Surprisingly, I really like the new Tori Amos album. I say surprisingly because I can't say I've liked any of her others. This new one has the vocals mixed a little lower and seems to be more emphasizing the music than the lyrics, which is good as I've always felt her lyrics were way too pretentious for me. Good stuff.

QUOTE(shipps @ May 16, 2007 -> 07:19 PM)
I seen Minus the Bear at the Beatkitchen last night.Awesome show except for the 100 degree temp in that place.There new stuff is pretty stellar also its a little bit more psychedelic.

I'm looking forward to the new one, although I'm still pissed at how bad the remix cd was.

In other news, Sage Francis and Chuck Ragan's new albums are both stellar, as is the new Smoke or Fire.

QUOTE(Spiff @ May 17, 2007 -> 04:58 PM)
I'm looking forward to the new one, although I'm still pissed at how bad the remix cd was.

In other news, Sage Francis and Chuck Ragan's new albums are both stellar, as is the new Smoke or Fire.

You aint kidding about that remix cd.lol.That was god awful,it sounded nothing like any of their songs.